Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    I am continually amazed at why Walt has no faith in young players. I mean i fully understand that unless forced, Dusty has zero faith in young players and will sacrifice wins in order to play the 'senior' players. But i was hoping that Walt would see the long term benefit in going young over adding injury riddled AARP members to the Reds. I mean how can adding someone like Scott P. and Edgar R. to the Reds make them a better team when it's clear Dusty will see them as "senior leadership' and give each way way way to much playing time and thus reduce the chances of winning. What is it with AARP guys?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Well I agree on one point, adding a Podsednik or a Renteria is a waste of Payroll IMO that could be used to make more of an upgrade if given a little more payroll flexability...

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well I agree on one point, adding a Podsednik or a Renteria is a waste of Payroll IMO that could be used to make more of an upgrade if given a little more payroll flexability...
    I just can't figure out how anyone with the baseball knowledge of Walt would think A) That Dusty wouldn't play these guys all the time B) At their age and abilities they would in any way increase the talent of this team.

    It just baffles me....

  5. #4
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,497

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I just can't figure out how anyone with the baseball knowledge of Walt would think A) That Dusty wouldn't play these guys all the time B) At their age and abilities they would in any way increase the talent of this team.

    It just baffles me....
    Dusty has been quoted as saying that he's committed to Janish at SS.

    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

    The reason why they brought in Cabrera was because they wanted Janish to have one year backing up SS before giving him the starting role. The reason why Cabrera was not brought back was because he wants to start and the Reds told him that he would be backing up Janish. It seems like that is one of the reasons why Renteria has not signed yet, he's hoping to get a starting job somewhere. If he doesn't, he'll probably sign with the Reds as Janish's backup.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dusty has been quoted as saying that he's committed to Janish at SS.

    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

    The reason why they brought in Cabrera was because they wanted Janish to have one year backing up SS before giving him the starting role. The reason why Cabrera was not brought back was because he wants to start and the Reds told him that he would be backing up Janish. It seems like that is one of the reasons why Renteria has not signed yet, he's hoping to get a starting job somewhere. If he doesn't, he'll probably sign with the Reds as Janish's backup.
    Dusty was quoted as saying "Yeah, I think so..."

    So there ya go! I dn't think Janish has any business being a Starting SS but we shall see... If he hits .300 and has 160-180 Hits then I will concede.

    I don't think if he hits .260- (5-10 HR) - 50 RBI will be good enough IMO and I doubt he can sustain even a .250 Batting Average or a .320 OBP over a full season of 140-150 Starts

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dusty has been quoted as saying that he's committed to Janish at SS.

    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

    The reason why they brought in Cabrera was because they wanted Janish to have one year backing up SS before giving him the starting role. The reason why Cabrera was not brought back was because he wants to start and the Reds told him that he would be backing up Janish. It seems like that is one of the reasons why Renteria has not signed yet, he's hoping to get a starting job somewhere. If he doesn't, he'll probably sign with the Reds as Janish's backup.
    If you believe that I have some sweeeeet land swamp land to sell you. Doesn't has zero faith in young players and only plays them when there is no other options or they have produced SO far above expectations he can't not play them. Trust me if the Reds were to sign Edgar, he would see 70-80% of the playing time unless he was hurt.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Dusty was quoted as saying "Yeah, I think so..."

    So there ya go! I dn't think Janish has any business being a Starting SS but we shall see... If he hits .300 and has 160-180 Hits then I will concede.

    I don't think if he hits .260- (5-10 HR) - 50 RBI will be good enough IMO and I doubt he can sustain even a .250 Batting Average or a .320 OBP over a full season of 140-150 Starts

    how many ML short stops are hitting .300? What SS out there do you think we could get that could surpass .260/10HR/50 RBI's?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    343

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    What is your opposition to bringing in Podsednik? The only guy he'd be taking time away from is Gomes, who's not exactly young, and was horrible for the entire 2nd half last year. Podsednik would provide more speed, a higher OBP, and much better defense. I would love to have him if he could be signed for a reasonable price.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    What is your opposition to bringing in Podsednik? The only guy he'd be taking time away from is Gomes, who's not exactly young, and was horrible for the entire 2nd half last year. Podsednik would provide more speed, a higher OBP, and much better defense. I would love to have him if he could be signed for a reasonable price.
    He's old, he's horrible and he would take playing time from heisey, not Gomes.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    how many ML short stops are hitting .300? What SS out there do you think we could get that could surpass .260/10HR/50 RBI's?
    Well it is Impossible but the Team Should have traded for Jose Reyes from the METS... Payroll should be a Non Issue to Add one Marquee player after the Playoff apperance last year and added Revenue from the Playoff Games...

    I don't care about the 80 Million Payroll... Team shouldnt have resigned Hernadez for 3 Million, and should have made Cairo keep his 500,000 salary instead of Giving him a 100% raise...

    The Ownership owes it to Cincinnati the Community to Improve the Team after the Playoff Push of 2010... The fans in Cincy will only go to the Park if the Team is Winning...

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    790

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    If the Reds are determined to go old, I would try to convince Edmonds to come back, play him a couple of games a week, pinch hit. He seemed to really connect with the young OF, especially Bruce, in the short time he was here. If Cabrera hasn't found a starting spot yet, he may be agreeable in coming back to play behind Janish. I'd rather have these two than Renteria or Pods.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well it is Impossible but the Team Should have traded for Jose Reyes from the METS... Payroll should be a Non Issue to Add one Marquee player after the Playoff apperance last year and added Revenue from the Playoff Games...

    I don't care about the 80 Million Payroll... Team shouldnt have resigned Hernadez for 3 Million, and should have made Cairo keep his 500,000 salary instead of Giving him a 100% raise...

    The Ownership owes it to Cincinnati the Community to Improve the Team after the Playoff Push of 2010... The fans in Cincy will only go to the Park if the Team is Winning...
    Why would you want an overpriced player coming off back to back seasons marred with injuries who won't be back the following season and gosh knows what amount of young talent we would have had to parted with. I am all for adding a "marquee" player...Jose Reyes isn't that. It's interesting how eager you are to spend others monies. With the younger players improving, why don't you believe they will not get better?

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    If the Reds are determined to go old, I would try to convince Edmonds to come back, play him a couple of games a week, pinch hit. He seemed to really connect with the young OF, especially Bruce, in the short time he was here. If Cabrera hasn't found a starting spot yet, he may be agreeable in coming back to play behind Janish. I'd rather have these two than Renteria or Pods.
    Edmonds' body can't go anymore, you could see that last year, sure bring him back as a coach, but not a rostered player. IF you bring Cabrera back he will see the majority of playing time over Janish which hurts, not helps your team.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    If the Reds are determined to go old, I would try to convince Edmonds to come back, play him a couple of games a week, pinch hit. He seemed to really connect with the young OF, especially Bruce, in the short time he was here. If Cabrera hasn't found a starting spot yet, he may be agreeable in coming back to play behind Janish. I'd rather have these two than Renteria or Pods.
    Agreed.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    906

    Re: Reds looking to add AARP members to the team..

    i dont see any problems w/ bringing in podsednik but a definite no to renteria. if podsednik takes away from heiseys playing time then oh well. podsednik is an upgrade over gomes and heisey wasnt starting anyway.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25