Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

First what an awesome game. If the Badgers had a decent QB we might have been treated to one of the greatest Rose bowl finishes in history.

Anyway with a minute left, TCU with the ball and four downs and the Badgers out of time outs Mussberger and company broke out the canned narrative that TCU was about to win one for the little guy. Really? TCU spent about 10 billion dollars on their football program this year, just gave a big middle finger to their little guy brethren by signing an agreement to join the big east to become the only good team in a marriage that makes absolutely zero geographical sense and they entered the rose bowl as the higher seed.

Did TCU really win one for "the little guy"? Does Miami University feel like TCU has shown them the way?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

No, they are not the little guy.
    Go Gators!

It makes for good TV just like WVU beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta, Utah beating Pitt, and Boise beating Oklahoma. Just because of perceptions of it is what will stick.

When does UConn get a chance to save some credibility for the Big East?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If the Badgers had a decent QB we might have been treated to one of the greatest Rose bowl finishes in history.
    Tolzien was 2nd team all Big Ten and team MVP. He is more than decent. He just didn't execute the big play and TCU did.

I don't think they won one for the little guy but it did shut up the folks who said they didn't deserve a BCS bid and it strengthens the argument that we need a playoff. TCU deserves a crack at the NC

Maybe had we not already had plenty of other examples already. The idea of winning one for the little guy has lost its novelty. It happens enough these days that they really can't be called the little guy any more.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If the Badgers had a decent QB

To defend Jojo a little, Wisconsin got away from what made them a good team. Run first, pass second. Especially with John Clay. They fell in love with the three running back rotation and the passing game. I listened to the game on the radio, and the ESPN radio guys kept ripping Wisconsin's play calling. They didn't dedicate themselves to the power running game until the final drive. I don't think the better team won.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    To defend Jojo a little, Wisconsin got away from what made them a good team. Run first, pass second. Especially with John Clay. They fell in love with the three running back rotation and the passing game. I listened to the game on the radio, and the ESPN radio guys kept ripping Wisconsin's play calling. They didn't dedicate themselves to the power running game until the final drive. I don't think the better team won.
    I agree about Wisconsin's offense. For most of the first two quarters they were running it straight up the middle and TCU had no answer. Then TCU stacked the line a few plays and stopped the run, so Wisconsin decided to abandoned what they were doing until that final drive when they were running it down their throat again.

However, TCU moved the ball on Wisconsin fairly well against Wisconsin too.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I agree. After John Clay ripped 'em for two huge runs late in the game, I look up and see him comfortably watching from the sideline. The small TCU defenders wanted no part of tackling him with a head of steam. Then Wisc goes to running wide and TCU tackles the guy behind the line

To be fair it was liberal hyperbole on my part but the play call on the two point conversion was a surprise to me and certainly the execution wasnt the best. That was a throw that a quality QB should be expected to complete. But ya, why not plow in for two?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

On the year, Wisconsin averaged 44 rush attempts for 247 yds per game behind Clay, White, and Ball. Yesterday, they had 46 rush attempts for 226 yds vs 21 pass attempts for 259 yds. TCU had 49 plays total. Wisconsin dominated time of possession, and that was due to their running game.

Ball and Clay both had a solid game yesterday rushing. Ball exceeded his average, while Clay was slightly under. What hurt them was White. But I give credit to TCU's defense. They were facing a team that was an offensive juggernaut (450 total yards and 43 pts per game) behind one huge offensive line, that as far as size goes, TCU's was much smaller. I thought the Badgers would man handle and wear TCU down, and it just didn't happen.

The Badgers also had phenomenal offensive efficiency when in the red zone this year. Yesterday, 3 times, when they were either in or very near the red zone, TCU stopped them and Wisconsin had to settle for FG attempts (and missed one). And then there was the blocked pass on the 2 pt conversion. Should they have ran the ball there? I was surprised they didn't, but it appears they weren't going to do what TCU expected, and tried to catch them off guard. And Pedersen was wide open in the end zone too. Just simply a great defensive play.

A fantastic game, and the best team won out, and nothing can be said to take away from that IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-02-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    No, they are not the little guy.
    A private school with an enrollment of roughly 8,500 beat a land-grant institution from one of ESPN's favorite conferences (B11, SEC, B12) with 5 times the number of students.

College football is funny business -- you almost have to use a Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it" test to separate the chosen from the outsiders. Wisconsin definitely falls into the former of those two classifications.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A private school with an enrollment of roughly 8,500 beat a land-grant institution from one of ESPN's favorite conferences (B11, SEC, B12) with 5 times the number of students.

College football is funny business -- you almost have to use a Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it" test to separate the chosen from the outsiders. Wisconsin definitely falls into the former of those two classifications.
    But TCU didn't get to this point by behaving like a little guy...... Student enrollment may not be in the class of land grant univeristies but most land grant universities would love to have TCU's market...

Here's a blurb from TCU's website:

TCU is the largest of 17 colleges and universities associated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a denomination committed to demonstrating true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice. With the full support of the Disciples, TCU is committed to the highest standards of scholarship, affording students the rigorous challenges that make higher education worthwhile. Reflection on questions of meaning and value is crucial to genuine learning. TCU’s covenant with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) supports this kind of education.
    How does spending 18 double gazillion dollars on their football program support that kind of education?

This isn't meant to slam TCU because they make college football more interesting and I don't think they are doing anything wrong. But they aren't anymore the little guy than Wisconsin considering how they are going about their business IMHO.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

. But they aren't anymore the little guy than Wisconsin considering how they are going about their business IMHO.
    You're missing the point entirely. "Little Guy" / "Big Guy" in college football has absolutely nothing to do with size, budget, rankings, etc. It's a strange combination of perception, success, conference affiliation, media coverage and history/tradition.

TCU may spend like a "Big Guy," but they clearly aren't a "Big Guy" in the college football world. There's no clear cut definition to any of this, though.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?