Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

Re: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

TCU is going to own the Big East, unless Holgerson is the next Rich Rod.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You're missing the point entirely. "Little Guy" / "Big Guy" in college football has absolutely nothing to do with size, budget, rankings, etc. It's a strange combination of perception, success, conference affiliation, media coverage and history/tradition.

TCU may spend like a "Big Guy," but they clearly aren't a "Big Guy" in the college football world. There's no clear cut definition to any of this, though.
    To me when I think of little guy, I think underdog. TCU really didn't fit that bill IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    TCU is going to own the Big East, unless Holgerson is the next Rich Rod.
    They didn't own C-USA when they were in there with Louisville, Cincy and South Florida.

They do give credibility to the Big East, but I'm not ready to hand them the first five championship trophies.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    But TCU didn't get to this point by behaving like a little guy...... Student enrollment may not be in the class of land grant univeristies but most land grant universities would love to have TCU's market...

Here's a blurb from TCU's website:

How does spending 18 double gazillion dollars on their football program support that kind of education?

This isn't meant to slam TCU because they make college football more interesting and I don't think they are doing anything wrong. But they aren't anymore the little guy than Wisconsin considering how they are going about their business IMHO.
    I agree, those are just words when the reality is "we worship and feed at the trough of big time college football."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

If TCU wasn't a "little guy", wouldn't they be playing for the National Championship?

I would call them the odd man out in a year with three undefeated teams and they clearly have a weaker schedule than the two UNDEFEATED teams playing for the NC. Under the current system, I don't think it has anything to do with them being the "little guy."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would call them the odd man out in a year with three undefeated teams and they clearly have a weaker schedule than the two UNDEFEATED teams playing for the NC. Under the current system, I don't think it has anything to do with them being the "little guy."
    Exactly which is why they're the little guy. It's awfully hard to get to where they are now playing in a non BCS conference

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Exactly which is why they're the little guy. It's awfully hard to get to where they are now playing in a non BCS conference
    Right. Teams like TCU and Boise St have a hard time getting big time schools to come play them. In the current system, they are the little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    If TCU wasn't a "little guy", wouldn't they be playing for the National Championship?
    No, Auburn got left out in 2004 and they certainly aren't a little guy.

TCU is the Texas version of Miami, small school with money in a big city, TCU does have actual fans in the stands though
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would submit its easier under the current system. They play the cushy schedule, play a tough game or two a season, get blue fields or purple uniforms, blow everyone else out, turn into Schleprocks and make every one feel sorry for them. They and Boise St. are playing the BCS game perfectly, and raking in the dough for their programs while doing it.

Oregon>TCU>Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    No, the problem for them was that their schedule was filled with a bunch of "little guys". Same with Boise (had they taken care of business in Reno).

The BCS strives to match up the two most deserving teams, not necessarily the two "best" teams. Given the three undefeated teams, the BCS got it right in leaving TCU out.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No, the problem for them was that their schedule was filled with a bunch of "little guys". Same with Boise (had they taken care of business in Reno).
    We go through this every year -- unless the "power" conferences want to offer open-enrollment and allow everyone into their elite little clubs, claiming that "they don't play anyone" really rings hollow.

They play the guys on their schedule. They'd probably play better teams if the opportunity was there, but they (quite literally) have no control over who they play.

It's a crap industry that continues to punish teams for not being "forward thinking" 50-60 years ago in their conference alignments.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    We go through this every year -- unless the "power" conferences want to offer open-enrollment and allow everyone into their elite little clubs, claiming that "they don't play anyone" really rings hollow.

They play the guys on their schedule. They'd probably play better teams if the opportunity was there, but they (quite literally) have no control over who they play.
    You're preaching to the choir with me. But that IS why TCU wasn't playing for the national championship. Nothing to do with whether TCU is a big boy or not.

Turn Off Ads?