Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

Re: Did TCU really win one for the little guy?

Any time, Any where

Just not there

Kind of rings hollow.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yet had OSU beat Wisconsin they would have played for the National Championship and TCU didn't. Look I'm not arguing fairness here because we won't get anywhere. The fact is TCU can't turn down these games under any condition if the NCG is their goal.
    Can't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No way TCU should have agreed to this game without a return trip. Would make absolutely no sense for them.
    I agree.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    ...which is precisely why we have computers to do rankings instead of just people.
    There is not enough data from intra-conference games to truly show strength of schedule. We've seen it before, when the results of one obscure game (say Illinois-Fresno) in late December is enough to possibly sway the BCS. If the results are that sensitive that a meaningless game is enough to tilt one team over the other, I (just my opinion) can't trust it. There has to be some human element.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    There is not enough data from intra-conference games to truly show strength of schedule. We've seen it before, when the results of one obscure game (say Illinois-Fresno) in late December is enough to possibly sway the BCS. If the results are that sensitive that a meaningless game is enough to tilt one team over the other, I (just my opinion) can't trust it. There has to be some human element.
    There is a large human element, but there needs to be an impartial element as well to counter the natural bias that we attribute to "power" conference programs. A marginal SEC/Big 10 team isn't magically better than everyone else just because the badge on the shoulder pad says so.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree.
    x3. For Wisconsin and Big Ten fans, this seems to be a football issue. TCU needs this game for strength of schedule and to "validate" their BCS game against Wisconsin. From the perspective of a UC fan, it's a money issue. Why should TCU play the game when it benefits another school so much more for them financially? TCU can make more money by converting this to a home game.

Do you think UC still would have signed up to play Oklahoma if it wasn't a home-and-home. Of course not. TCU isn't a Sun Belt team. Why should they be expected to behave like one?
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    x3. For Wisconsin and Big Ten fans, this seems to be a football issue. From where I stand, it's a money issue. Why should TCU play the game when it benefits another school so much more for them financially? TCU can make more money by converting this to a home game.

Do you think UC still would have signed up to play Oklahoma if it wasn't a home-and-home. Of course not. TCU isn't a Sun Belt team, why should they be expected to behave like one?
    I don't believe the financials were ever really discussed so you can't make a valid argument that TCU would lose money on this one. If it was an ESPN/ABC set up game I think TCU would get a large chunk of the pie.

As for UC they sold their home games away for OSU and VT and also agree to play UT once in Knoxville with no return date.

If TCU runs the table again (which I seriously doubt) and gets skipped over by two BCS schools because of strength of schedule and conference they have only themselves to blame.

Yet had OSU beat Wisconsin they would have played for the National Championship
    Maybe, but OSU wouldn't have belonged there under the (idiotic) system currently in place. Auburn and Oregon played much tougher schedules than OSU. The only thing OSU would have had on either one is preseason ranking. That makes plenty of sense.

Really, this is also a reason playing a one for none at Wisky doesn't make any sense. Do you think it would really matter if TCU won at Wisky and there were unbeaten teams from the SEC and Big Ten as well? TCU still wouldn't play for the title. No need to take a one-sided deal that gets you very little even if you win.

Maybe, but OSU wouldn't have belonged there under the (idiotic) system currently in place. Auburn and Oregon played much tougher schedules than OSU. The only thing OSU would have had on either one is preseason ranking. That makes plenty of sense.

Really, this is also a reason playing a one for none at Wisky doesn't make any sense. Do you think it would really matter if TCU won at Wisky and there were unbeaten teams from the SEC and Big Ten as well? TCU still wouldn't play for the title. No need to take a one-sided deal that gets you very little even if you win.
    Yes they would have. Oregon played an awful schedule that the computers like because they play nine conference games.

No TCU will not make it over other unbeaten teams but had one of the top teams had lost they still would have been jumped by Stanford or Wisconsin. They need to give themselves the best chance if the opportunity presents itself.

Oregon played an awful schedule
    Surprised someone with Buckeye in their name would go there.

And TCU would have played for the title had Auburn or Oregon lost. They were next in line (though it's possible Auburn would not have fallen behind TCU with a loss).

And I don't really want to get into an argument about whether Oregon or Ohio State had the better (least bad) schedule. The point is that deciding which of those two schedules was worse would have been a terrible way to decide a national title opponent for Auburn.

And no matter what TCU did, they weren't going to be in the discussion against undefeated BCS teams even if they had played a one-timer at VaTech in the non-conference. And their schedule was good enough that they almost certainly would have played for the title if Oregon had lost somewhere along the line. So there's basically no upside in going on the road for a one shot deal with no return.

And I don't really want to get into an argument about whether Oregon or Ohio State had the better (least bad) schedule. The point is that deciding which of those two schedules was worse would have been a terrible way to decide a national title opponent for Auburn.

And no matter what TCU did, they weren't going to be in the discussion against undefeated BCS teams even if they had played a one-timer at VaTech in the non-conference. And their schedule was good enough that they almost certainly would have played for the title if Oregon had lost somewhere along the line. So there's basically no upside in going on the road for a one shot deal with no return.
    I disagree. Had Oregon lost the polls would have stepped in and moved Stanford or Wisconsin ahead of them. But believe what you want. TCU can just keep ducking big time programs because they think they deserve better and hope it works out for them.

In the final BCS rankings, TCU was closer to Oregon than Stanford was to TCU. And it wasn't close in either case.

In the final BCS rankings, TCU was closer to Oregon than Stanford was to TCU. And it wasn't close in either case.
    Thank you I know. Had oregon or auburn lost that would not have been the case.

Thank you I know. Had oregon or auburn lost that would not have been the case.
    Yeah, pretty sure it would have been mathematically impossible for Stanford to catch TCU.

Turn Off Ads?