Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

Seems like Randy Edsall has been shopping for a job ever since UConn moved up to Division 1 in football.

Kinda surprised by this one. I thought Mike Leach was all but in the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Seems like Randy Edsall has been shopping for a job ever since UConn moved up to Division 1 in football.

I don't really get what the big deal is over Edsall. He's been connected with a lot of jobs the last couple year. UConn won the Big East by default this year. Nobody expected UC to be as bad as they were, or WVU or Pitt for that matter. I don't see any repeats in their future, they just got lucky.

Seems like Edsall has been dying to chase a bigger paycheck, and that's about it.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't really get what the big deal is over Edsall. He's been connected with a lot of jobs the last couple year. UConn won the Big East by default this year. Nobody expected UC to be as bad as they were, or WVU or Pitt for that matter. I don't see any repeats in their future, they just got lucky.

Seems like Edsall has been dying to chase a bigger paycheck, and that's about it.
    I think it's fair to measure a coach by the reasonable expectations of where he's coaching. If you laid out the characteristics of a school that should be succeeding at football, UConn meets essentially none of those standards. They're new (1-AA when Edsall took over, and playing big-boy football only since '04), they're in a place that doesn't care much about college football, and they have no home recruiting base to speak of. It takes a pretty good coaching job at UConn to put up the same record that gets West Virginia fans dreaming of showing their coach the door.

Of course, the "imagine what he could do at a school that actually gives a rip" logic sometimes holds up and sometimes doesn't, just like all the other rationales behind coaching hires.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I think it's fair to measure a coach by the reasonable expectations of where he's coaching. If you laid out the characteristics of a school that should be succeeding at football, UConn meets essentially none of those standards. They're new (1-AA when Edsall took over, and playing big-boy football only since '04), they're in a place that doesn't care much about college football, and they have no home recruiting base to speak of. It takes a pretty good coaching job at UConn to put up the same record that gets West Virginia fans dreaming of showing their coach the door.

Of course, the "imagine what he could do at a school that actually gives a rip" logic sometimes holds up and sometimes doesn't, just like all the other rationales behind coaching hires.
    I agree, not to mention, both men's and women's hoops dominate the athletic department at UConn. Edsall's done a heck of a job as a football coach at a school where the football program is looked at as being third fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Leach is not as good as he thinks he is.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?