Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

  1. #1
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Seems like Randy Edsall has been shopping for a job ever since UConn moved up to Division 1 in football.

    Kinda surprised by this one. I thought Mike Leach was all but in the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #3
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,927

    Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Seems like Randy Edsall has been shopping for a job ever since UConn moved up to Division 1 in football.

    Kinda surprised by this one. I thought Mike Leach was all but in the bag.
    I don't really get what the big deal is over Edsall. He's been connected with a lot of jobs the last couple year. UConn won the Big East by default this year. Nobody expected UC to be as bad as they were, or WVU or Pitt for that matter. I don't see any repeats in their future, they just got lucky.

    Seems like Edsall has been dying to chase a bigger paycheck, and that's about it.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  5. #4
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,835

    Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't really get what the big deal is over Edsall. He's been connected with a lot of jobs the last couple year. UConn won the Big East by default this year. Nobody expected UC to be as bad as they were, or WVU or Pitt for that matter. I don't see any repeats in their future, they just got lucky.

    Seems like Edsall has been dying to chase a bigger paycheck, and that's about it.
    I think it's fair to measure a coach by the reasonable expectations of where he's coaching. If you laid out the characteristics of a school that should be succeeding at football, UConn meets essentially none of those standards. They're new (1-AA when Edsall took over, and playing big-boy football only since '04), they're in a place that doesn't care much about college football, and they have no home recruiting base to speak of. It takes a pretty good coaching job at UConn to put up the same record that gets West Virginia fans dreaming of showing their coach the door.

    Of course, the "imagine what he could do at a school that actually gives a rip" logic sometimes holds up and sometimes doesn't, just like all the other rationales behind coaching hires.
    Not all who wander are lost

  6. #5
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I think it's fair to measure a coach by the reasonable expectations of where he's coaching. If you laid out the characteristics of a school that should be succeeding at football, UConn meets essentially none of those standards. They're new (1-AA when Edsall took over, and playing big-boy football only since '04), they're in a place that doesn't care much about college football, and they have no home recruiting base to speak of. It takes a pretty good coaching job at UConn to put up the same record that gets West Virginia fans dreaming of showing their coach the door.

    Of course, the "imagine what he could do at a school that actually gives a rip" logic sometimes holds up and sometimes doesn't, just like all the other rationales behind coaching hires.
    I agree, not to mention, both men's and women's hoops dominate the athletic department at UConn. Edsall's done a heck of a job as a football coach at a school where the football program is looked at as being third fiddle.

  7. #6
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,570

    Re: UConn Football coach heading to Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

    Kinda surprised by this one. I thought Mike Leach was all but in the bag.
    Leach is not as good as he thinks he is.
    Go Gators!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25