Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Leadoff Hitter We Need So Badly

That Leadoff Hitter We Need So Badly

The Reds were relatively unproductive from the leadoff spot last year. Yet they led the league in just about every important offensive category. While I don't have stats handy to back this up, I would posit that the bottom part of the order was very much relatively productive. It seems Hanigan, Hernandez, Stubbs, Bruce, etc. all produced runs effectively in the 6-8 holes. All of the talk of moving Stubbs to leadoff would affect this production.

Moving Phillips out of the cleanup spot just happened to coincide with the Reds starting to play some good offensive baseball. I think Phillips belongs at the top of the order (1 or 2, I don't care which) and Stubbs should bat lower in the order. And don't bend over trying to find a leadoff hitter. Via last year's example: if it ain't broke.........
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: That Leadoff Hitter We Need So Badly

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    The Reds were relatively unproductive from the leadoff spot last year. Yet they led the league in just about every important offensive category. While I don't have stats handy to back this up, I would posit that the bottom part of the order was very much relatively productive. It seems Hanigan, Hernandez, Stubbs, Bruce, etc. all produced runs effectively in the 6-8 holes. All of the talk of moving Stubbs to leadoff would affect this production.

Moving Phillips out of the cleanup spot just happened to coincide with the Reds starting to play some good offensive baseball. I think Phillips belongs at the top of the order (1 or 2, I don't care which) and Stubbs should bat lower in the order. And don't bend over trying to find a leadoff hitter. Via last year's example: if it ain't broke.........
    I agree with this. The Reds offense scored a ton of runs without a traditional leadoff hitter. The one thing they really need right now is a backup 3B to give Rolen some time off. Or, maybe they are happy with Cairo and Francisco as 3B backups.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post

Good point, HUHUH. And may I say that I really enjoy belonging to a forum in which the word "posit" is used correctly.

Not only were we looking for a lead-off hitter, the FO wanted that lead-off hitter to be a LF. And the OF we sign is Jeremy Hermida instead of Fred Lewis. Hmmmm

I was just looking at Hermida's minor league stats. It's interesting that he was a fairly proficient base stealer early in his career. I don't know if he had an injury....but that basically came to a complete halt in in 2006.

He was 69 for 79 prior to 2006 or 87.3% at SB attempts.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-hermida.shtml

I don't think anyone would disagree that the bottom of the order was very productive.I do believe some of the overall run production was due to anomalies.It's not broke ,but it will never run like that again. I don't see Gomes ever producing like he did the first couple of months(BBC stats,"back of baseball card").Normal digression of older players(Hernandez,Rolen),and less than career years from Hanigan and Phillips.This fan can see room for improvement,I'm not sold on this offense as is.

This team's offense will improve greatly if Phillips---the free swinger can bat 2nd rather than 1st. Hermida is a Minor league signing with an invite to big league ST. There is still a strong possibility a Lewis can be signed, in hopes of leading off. And, since the guys coming through the system have been successful the last few years, don't discount Sappelt, Frazier, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree that the bottom of the order was very productive.I do believe some of the overall run production was due to anomalies.It's not broke ,but it will never run like that again. I don't see Gomes ever producing like he did the first couple of months(BBC stats,"back of baseball card").Normal digression of older players(Hernandez,Rolen),and less than career years from Hanigan and Phillips.This fan can see room for improvement,I'm not sold on this offense as is.
    good post I agree. but I do think phillips can have an even better year if he plays like he did for awhile last season, grinding out ab's. but ramon, gomes, rolen, votto, janish are likely to do worse. heisey, stubbs & bruce are the upside guys but only bruce seems like he has a better than 50% shot at blowing away last years numbers. stubbs and heisey could actually go backwards.

The one thing that I see as a big upside,is starting pitching. I don't know how everyone will perform,but sheer numbers and youthful competition should allow for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    This team's offense will improve greatly if Phillips---the free swinger can bat 2nd rather than 1st. Hermida is a Minor league signing with an invite to big league ST. There is still a strong possibility a Lewis can be signed, in hopes of leading off. And, since the guys coming through the system have been successful the last few years, don't discount Sappelt, Frazier, etc.
    Brandon Phillips bats .055 points higher in the 2 hole from the Lead Off Position... (.306 to .251)

This team needs to find a Lead Off Hitter... They really haven't had one since the early 90's with Bip Roberts...

Remember the week that Bruce lead off at the end of the year? Why not give him the shot, if we don't have anyone else?

Bruce
    Philips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Stubbs
    Hanigan/Hernandez
    Janish

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Remember the week that Bruce lead off at the end of the year? Why not give him the shot, if we don't have anyone else?

Bruce
    Philips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Stubbs
    Hanigan/Hernandez
    Janish
    Ya know... I don't know if Bruce has Blazing Speed but he sure does seem to run the bases well... That may be the best lineup the Reds could go with if the Reds don't upgrade lead off...

Nice Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Ya know... I don't know if Bruce has Blazing Speed but he sure does seem to run the bases well... That may be the best lineup the Reds could go with if the Reds don't upgrade lead off...

Nice Post!
    Why would you waste Bruce at leadoff, he is the perfect hitter to hit behind Votto.

May as well stick Renteria in the top of the order somewhere now.

We all know Baker will be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    May as well stick Renteria in the top of the order somewhere now.

We all know Baker will be doing so.
    :runawaycr

Turn Off Ads?