Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 HOF class announced

2011 HOF class announced

Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven in, Larkin snubbed.
    Last edited by huber14; 01-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 HOF class announced

Looking real good for next year on the bright side!

Anybody know the % Larking got?

I think Larkin got over 60%. He is probably going to get in next year.

Larkin got a little over 61%. If any Reds Shortstop should get in it will be Larkin. I still can not understand why Davey never got in to the hall.

I have to agree with Lance McAllister about the voting process for the HOF. It is old antiquated and not worth much. Let the broadcasters and HOF Members get a vote and these Baseball writers votes should not count as much as the broadcasters and the alive HOF members.

What would make you think broadcasters would be a much better choice than writers? I think that if you allowed broadcasters and other HOF members vote, many of the votes will be based on heart rather than any objective analysis. Sure, you get some grandstanding and some head scratching votes from the writers. The whole stance that some writers take on purposely not voting people in on the first year is insane in my opinion. However, I think you have to live with the bad when it comes to this issue. Its writers jobs to look in depth on a story and I just feel they are more qualified to do the heavy analysis it takes on this issue. If you leave it up to HOFers and broadcasters, the HOF might turn into what the Gold Glove voting is.

Furthermore, I think with the new era of stat heads and sabermatricians being eligible to vote, you are starting to see a somewhat more logical approach to HOF voting. As more of these old school sports writers leave the profession, I think you will see are more quantitative analysis in the voting process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Redlegs73 View Post
    Larkin got a little over 61%. If any Reds Shortstop should get in it will be Larkin. I still can not understand why Davey never got in to the hall.

I have to agree with Lance McAllister about the voting process for the HOF. It is old antiquated and not worth much. Let the broadcasters and HOF Members get a vote and these Baseball writers votes should not count as much as the broadcasters and the alive HOF members.
    Larkin got more than expected, which is very good news for next year.

But I agree with you, if you think Larkin deserves to be in, how can you not also vote for Concepcion? Both were dominant at their positions for over a decade.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    What would make you think broadcasters would be a much better choice than writers? I think that if you allowed broadcasters and other HOF members vote, many of the votes will be based on heart rather than any objective analysis. Sure, you get some grandstanding and some head scratching votes from the writers. The whole stance that some writers take on purposely not voting people in on the first year is insane in my opinion. However, I think you have to live with the bad when it comes to this issue. Its writers jobs to look in depth on a story and I just feel they are more qualified to do the heavy analysis it takes on this issue. If you leave it up to HOFers and broadcasters, the HOF might turn into what the Gold Glove voting is.

Furthermore, I think with the new era of stat heads and sabermatricians being eligible to vote, you are starting to see a somewhat more logical approach to HOF voting. As more of these old school sports writers leave the profession, I think you will see are more quantitative analysis in the voting process.
    I feel that this is the one thing in Baseball that works...

IMO Byleven should have been in about 10 years ago based on Stats... But for the most part they get it right...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

If you add the votes for all the former Reds, we get a player in. Larkin 62.1%, Lee Arthur Smith 45.3%, The Cobra 15.3%, John Franco 4.3%, Brett Boone and Benny Santiago .2% each (and somehow Lenny Harris didn't get a single vote).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    If you add the votes for all the former Reds, we get a player in. Larkin 62.1%, Lee Arthur Smith 45.3%, The Cobra 15.3%, John Franco 4.3%, Brett Boone and Benny Santiago .2% each (and somehow Lenny Harris didn't get a single vote).
    Lenny Harris hit like .400 one year in pinch hitting off the bench back in the 90's for the Reds... He was like the Roy Hobbs off the bench... Without the Power.

I think the Hall voting system is a joke to be honest. I think a player should get one year, if doenst make it then, off the list until 5 years or so for a vets committee at that point. An eligible player has been retired, if he wasnt good enough to be a HOF'er this year, he does nothing to become a better player for next years class.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The voting needs to be eliminated, with voting you will get bias. Simple way to decide, set a point value and if player X obtains enough points he is in. like say hitting 500 HR's in your career gets you 10 pts, hitting .300 for a career gets you 10 pts, finishing with 1000 RBi's gets yo 10 pts and so on if player X obtains the needed points he is in. No bias...

Larkin is in very good shape to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    The voting needs to be eliminated, with voting you will get bias. Simple way to decide, set a point value and if player X obtains enough points he is in. like say hitting 500 HR's in your career gets you 10 pts, hitting .300 for a career gets you 10 pts, finishing with 1000 RBi's gets yo 10 pts and so on if player X obtains the needed points he is in. No bias...
    I think it needs to be changed too, but there are so many variables I wonder if the points would work. How do you take defense in, give credit to those that are a complete player but might not have power numbers? I like the idea though and think there has to be a better way then current system.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Larkin fot 62.1% of the Vote 361 out of 581

I think this was a huge mistake. Larkin should have went in this year with Alomar, IMO Alomar & Larkin were mainstays of 90's Baseball... True Great All-Around Players...

Turn Off Ads?