Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACE Pitcher

ACE Pitcher

People keep saying the Reds don't have an 'ACE" pitcher presently on staff, so my question is what qualifications does it take to be termed an "ACE"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ACE Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    People keep saying the Reds don't have an 'ACE" pitcher presently on staff, so my question is what qualifications does it take to be termed an "ACE"?
    Have a three year-four year span of dominance under your belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Have a three year-four year span of dominance under your belt...
    What do you consider "dominance"?

IMO, its someone you feel comfortable throwing out against any team, any starter, any time of season, under any circumstance and feel 100% confident you will get the win. For example, I think Cueto has the arm to be an ace, but has not shown (IMO again) being able to dig down deeper when he needs to for that something extra, or to bounce back from a bad pitch and get the next one.
    Another way, if you know the opposing pitcher/manager see's an ace starting against them and it makes them want to throw up and chalk up a loss before the N.A is sung.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 01-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

What do you consider "dominance"?
    Tim Lincecum, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay, CC Sabethia

Tim Lincecum, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay, CC Sabethia
    Okay, so how many "Ace's" would you say are in the show right now. Of the four you listed, 2 are no longer playing.

Okay, so how many "Ace's" would you say are in the show right now. Of the four you listed, 2 are no longer playing.
    I don't care. I just want One on the Team.

I don't care. I just want One on the Team.
    Well gee sure, but with what 32 teams and maybe only 5-6 true Aces, the odds are not that great and to have one you must have the budget to support his worth, we don't.

We had one year of one lately with Aaron Harang,half a year with Volquez. I thought he would be TOR(Harang),I was wrong again. We have several possibles,none established,but there's not many staffs I would swap with.A few, not many.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    We had one year of one lately with Aaron Harang,half a year with Volquez. I thought he would be TOR(Harang),I was wrong again. We have several possibles,none established,but there's not many staffs I would swap with.A few, not many.
    Looking at starting rotations in all of MLB there is only 1 that I think is better then the Reds and that is Philly. I would say SF is close, but they don't have the depth. Outside of that there is no other teams in MLB that I would trade staff with right now..

Looking at starting rotations in all of MLB there is only 1 that I think is better then the Reds and that is Philly. I would say SF is close, but they don't have the depth. Outside of that there is no other teams in MLB that I would trade staff with right now..
    San Fransisco really doesn't have Depth?

Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgartner, and Zito - and they have no depth?

You really have No idea what you are talking about do you?

San Fransisco really doesn't have Depth?

Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgartner, and Zito - and they have no depth?

You really have No idea what you are talking about do you?
    Zito? Your joking right? He is so good they left him off the playoff roster:
    Sanchez is okay, but nothing better then what we have and Bumgartner I would say is equal to either Wood or Leake. There top two are very very good, but depth wise, nope give me the Reds.

Zito? Your joking right? He is so good they left him off the playoff roster:
    Sanchez is okay, but nothing better then what we have and Bumgartner I would say is equal to either Wood or Leake. There top two are very very good, but depth wise, nope give me the Reds.
    Yes because in a 7 Game Series with the off days, you would go with Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, and Bumgartner... and keep an extra pinch hitter or a reliever...

But here is the whole point to your argument, depth...

Zito out of the 4/5 hole last year for S.F. won 9 Games, pitched 199 Innings, and had a 4.15 ERA along with 150K

That out of your 4-5 guy is pretty good depth...

Yes because in a 7 Game Series with the off days, you would go with Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, and Bumgartner... and keep an extra pinch hitter or a reliever...

But here is the whole point to your argument, depth...

Zito out of the 4/5 hole last year for S.F. won 9 Games, pitched 199 Innings, and had a 4.15 ERA along with 150K

That out of your 4-5 guy is pretty good depth...
    pretty good is right, but depth wise i still stick with the Reds. I will take our 4-5 guys over their 4-5 guys anyday. The giants have a better 1-2 punch right now (although Lincecum did show some issues last season) but 3-4-5 I go with Reds, PLUS you add in we do have a 6th option in either Bailey or Leake and possibly a 7th option with chapman at some point.

pretty good is right, but depth wise i still stick with the Reds. I will take our 4-5 guys over their 4-5 guys anyday. The giants have a better 1-2 punch right now (although Lincecum did show some issues last season) but 3-4-5 I go with Reds, PLUS you add in we do have a 6th option in either Bailey or Leake and possibly a 7th option with chapman at some point.
    I thinkthe Reds have the potential to have a better staff...

Think about this... If the Reds would have drafted Lincecum instead of Stubbs where would this team be????

Turn Off Ads?