Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 01/05/2011 Baseball America's Top-10 Reds Prospects

-The Insider-

Re: 01/05/2011 Baseball America's Top-10 Reds Prospects

I am kinda surprised on Hamilton's rankings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

They certainly fell out of love with Todd Frazier.

I can't really blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    They certainly fell out of love with Todd Frazier.

I can't really blame them.
    Yes, I think that is the big headline from the BA ratings. Frazier dropping from first to ninth.

Overall, I'm kind of amazed that so many of the very recent high level minor league guys (e.g., Heisey, Alonso, Francisco, Frazier, Cozart, Valaika, Maloney, Lecure) are still with the organization. I would have expected the Reds to cash in some in trades by now.

The BA list was a reminder to me of how many high level minor leaguers with major league potential the team still has -- and how they have declined to move virtually any of them in the recent past.

It's cool they like Hamilton, but placing him over Mesoraco is pretty bad. I'd like to see the reasoning there.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Kinda surprised to see that they have Ryan LaMarre as their top rated defensive outfielder in the Reds system. I have never been to bullish on him, but if he plays plus plus defense and has an average to plus bat, he could become very valuable.

-The Insider-

I really think that BA and some people are giving up on Frazier too quickly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

One thing to note again, is how weak the pitching is across the minor leagues. Obviously a big part of that is that all the young pitchers are now with the big club, but I'd like to see the Reds replenish the system with pitching (and a power hitting 3B or COF) in this year's draft.
    There are some power arms at the lower levels. Corcino, Guillon, Lotzkar and Correa all have above average fastballs and other things working in their favor. There is a nice gap between those guys and the Majors though. Fortunately what we have in the majors is mostly young and under control for 3+ years to give us the time to replenish the upper farm system with strong arms hopefully. It will be interesting to see what the Reds do with Brian Pearl when he comes back, he could fit into that group above with a real good arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Kinda surprised to see that they have Ryan LaMarre as their top rated defensive outfielder in the Reds system. I have never been to bullish on him, but if he plays plus plus defense and has an average to plus bat, he could become very valuable.
    Cooper said he has him at #11.

1. BA went wacky last year rating Frazier #1 based on a rumor that he may be able to play 2B. Now he is being evaluated as a corner player and the correction has him in the right neighborhood.

2. Surprised to see Grandal rated as the top defensive catcher. I know little about him, but IIRC, at the time of the draft, most of the reports made him sound Javyesque defensively. Is he really a top rated defender or is this another case of BA overvaluing a player who hasn't played much as a pro and not had time to show their warts or outright fail?

3. Surprised to see Hamilton at #2, but its not completely out of line IMO. I usually wait until some full season ball is under their belts to get real excited, but I have high hopes for Hamilton. I'd still put Mes ahead of him and some others at this point.

4. I think the Lotzkar pick at 10 is simply going for a name many are familiar with. He's had multiple arm injuries and I'm a skeptic in his case. I know relievers take a hit in their value, but I'd say Donnie Jospeh belongs in the top 10 over such an injury risk.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Interesting that Pedro Villareal is noted as a sleeper. Not sure any of us saw that one coming.

Any interesting items from the chat?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Any interesting items from the chat?
    Here are a few:

Frank (Dallas, TX): What can you tell us about Ron Torreyes? thanks

J.J. Cooper: One of my favorite prospects in the system. He's short, but he can shows great glovework and has a lot of offensive potential as well. I don't put too much stock in VSL stats for predictive value, but the year he had there was amazing.

Ed (Redszone): Thoughts on Wes Mugarian?

J.J. Cooper: Heard really good things on him from instructs where there were reports he was touching 95 (although he sits more 90-92). I've gotten several questions about deep sleepers. Count Mugarian as one of those sleepers. I'll throw a couple of others in later in the chat.

Keith (Memphis): Do the Reds have a chance to get 6 (Chapman,Hamilton,Alonso,Mesoraco,Rodriguez,Granda l) in the Top 100?

J.J. Cooper: I'd say the first four are locks. Rodriguez and Grandal are both likely to make it as well—I'd put all six in my top 100. Hard to predict how it will all shape out, but yeah, I think six seems about right.

6 prospects in the top-100? Most teams should be happy with 3.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    6 prospects in the top-100? Most teams should be happy with 3.
    The scary part is, the Royals might get 11.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    I've gotten several questions about deep sleepers. Count Mugarian as one of those sleepers. I'll throw a couple of others in later in the chat.
    Which other "sleepers" did he identify?

Turn Off Ads?