Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 01/05/2011 Baseball America's Top-10 Reds Prospects

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 01/05/2011 Baseball America's Top-10 Reds Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Torreyes at 2B and Hamilton at SS could be intriguing in the middle of the infield and at the top of the order in two or three years.
    Hamilton, maybe. Torreyes will be 19/20 in 2-3 years. I don't see him making it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeredleg
    Based on his pictures and if he is indeed 5-8, 135 I would think he does have the frame to add weight. I'm not saying it would happen overnight, but by the time he's in his early 20's, there is no reason why not.
    Some guys just can't do it. Best example is Dodgers prospect Dee Gordon. He is a buck fifty, maybe. His frame is that of a 13 year old boy who hasn't yet hit his growth spurt. He simply isn't going to be able to add good weight to his frame. Not saying Torreyes fits that same bill, because I don't know if he does or not. But there are some guys who just don't have the frames to support adding a good type of weight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Both Torreyes and Hamilton could play in Dayton this season. If they play well, the Reds have historically been willing to move prospects at the halfway point of a season (though the High A move to California might change plans).

A move at the All Star break in 2011 puts both on pace to get there some time in the next two or three years.

I'd bet against it, though. Both prospects should be ready in four years however.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Both Torreyes and Hamilton could play in Dayton this season. If they play well, the Reds have historically been willing to move prospects at the halfway point of a season (though the High A move to California might change plans).

A move at the All Star break in 2011 puts both on pace to get there some time in the next two or three years.

I'd bet against it, though. Both prospects should be ready in four years however.
    With Hamilton, sure. He will be 20 next season. Torreyes? No way that they promote an 18 year old to High A. I don't know when the Reds have ever done that other than when they would call up a guy from the GCL to Sarasota in a roster issue just so they had someone for the game.

If he starts at Dayton (as is possible) and does well, why wouldn't they?

(I'd also argue they've rarely ever had a player-- like Yorman and Torreyes-- who's done so well so early in their career that they've had to worry at all about age.)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton, maybe. Torreyes will be 19/20 in 2-3 years. I don't see him making it by then.

Some guys just can't do it. Best example is Dodgers prospect Dee Gordon. He is a buck fifty, maybe. His frame is that of a 13 year old boy who hasn't yet hit his growth spurt. He simply isn't going to be able to add good weight to his frame. Not saying Torreyes fits that same bill, because I don't know if he does or not. But there are some guys who just don't have the frames to support adding a good type of weight.
    Didn't realize he was that young. I thought I read where he was 18 this year.

I would not even start to worry about his frame until he is 20 and still not filling out. Then you can say it may never come but until then lets just wait and see.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?