Turn Off Ads?

Thread: CarGo's extension effect on Votto

CarGo's extension effect on Votto

Got this from Sheldon:

"Jocketty was just learning about the reports that Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez agreed to a seven-year, $80 million contract. Gonzalez finished third in the NL MVP race this fall, and his signing could affect the number that Votto reaches. However, Gonzalez is still a year away from arbitration eligibility and less established than Votto after his first season in Colorado."

Others go on to say how this could lay a framework for a Votto extension, although they all agree Votto should command a higher salary for fewer years. If we could get Votto for anywhere CLOSE to what CarGo received, then I will A) Be furiously happy B) Fall over dead and C) Buy season tickets. CarGo is getting ~$11.42mil/year over 7 years. Maybe Votto would be ok to ink a 5yr/$65mil deal. I don't think any of us here would be upset by that. At all. How high are you willing to go? I honestly don't see Votto signing for more than 5 years unless the $ amount is simply absurd (i.e., $17mil+/year)

Thoughts?

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: CarGo's extension effect on Votto

7 yr $100M

Methinks he has a couple more MVP's in him, he's in his prime, and we have the core to surround him for the next 7 years, it'd be a good deal for both.

I don't think his agent can turn down a 9 digit contract.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

6 years 90 mill

I don't believe Votto will sign any long term contract with the Reds. He will be free agent to Toronto.

I think that 5 years and $65 million would be a solid deal for both sides. The Reds could also add in a team or vesting option for a 6th year at $20 million bringing the total value of the deal to 6/85. The breakdown would look like this:

2011: $7M
    2012: $10M
    2013: $13M
    2014: $17.5M
    2015: $17.5M
    2016: $20M (option)

Votto will get what ever he wants in arbitration for next year. If he then has another year like the last, (or even close), he will become something the Reds can't afford, unless he goes for a home team discount.

I don't think votto wants to be a Red long term. Guys that want to stay on a certain team say things like Arroyo and Bruce said. "They like it here." "They love cincy." "I hope to work something out." Just my opinion, but I think he would like to go elsewhere. I would love to have him for his whole career and I think he should remain loyal to the reds as they were to him during his "nervous problems" when a lot of teams and G.M.'s would have thrown him under the bus. The Reds kept it "in-house" and allowed him to work through his problems...for as long as it took. A lot of teams would have put pressure on him to suck it up and get back in the line up. That should be worth something to Votto...we will see.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I don't think votto wants to be a Red long term. Guys that want to stay on a certain team say things like Arroyo and Bruce said. "They like it here." "They love cincy." "I hope to work something out." Just my opinion, but I think he would like to go elsewhere. I would love to have him for his whole career and I think he should remain loyal to the reds as they were to him during his "nervous problems" when a lot of teams and G.M.'s would have thrown him under the bus. The Reds kept it "in-house" and allowed him to work through his problems...for as long as it took. A lot of teams would have put pressure on him to suck it up and get back in the line up. That should be worth something to Votto...we will see.
    What are you talking about? Votto is under team control for 3 more years so this is a non issue for at least one more season...

Also, Arroyo was adamant about not giving the Reds a discount, and then all of a sudden he won 17 games and decided it was in his best interest to stay...

You are right in a sense, Hondo. It is a long way off. It is still an important issue and should be discussed however. I was of the same opinion when it came to Pujols but the management waited and waited. Now the Cardinals are at the tipping point when it comes to resigning Pujols. Now the Pujols and Votto contracts will be completely different, I realize that, but its never too late to discuss this stuff. In the blink of an eye, it could become a critical situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    You are right in a sense, Hondo. It is a long way off. It is still an important issue and should be discussed however. I was of the same opinion when it came to Pujols but the management waited and waited. Now the Cardinals are at the tipping point when it comes to resigning Pujols. Now the Pujols and Votto contracts will be completely different, I realize that, but its never too late to discuss this stuff. In the blink of an eye, it could become a critical situation.
    I can see the Cardinals situation... There problem is they showed no Loyalty to Pujols... For the last 2 years, they gave Holliday a Salary Higher than Pujols the last 2 years so I see it as Pujols moving forward in Free Agency...

I think he will sign with the Cardinals but the Angels and Cubs will be highly involved...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I can see the Cardinals situation... There problem is they showed no Loyalty to Pujols... For the last 2 years, they gave Holliday a Salary Higher than Pujols the last 2 years so I see it as Pujols moving forward in Free Agency...

I think he will sign with the Cardinals but the Angels and Cubs will be highly involved...
    I think Cardinal nation would explode if Albert was seen in a cubbies uniy..

I think Votto will be gone in the future.I just don't see how the Reds can compete with the big spenders of the league.But then again,no one thought the Reds could go out and spend 30 mill on a 105mph Cuban phenom either.From what I have read it just seems to me that Votto's heart isn't in the Queen city.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post

I wouldn't go as far to say that the Cardinals organization showed now loyalty to Pujols. He is just coming off of a 7 year deal. When Walt signed Pujols to that long extension, it was the largest contract in Cardinals history. Some people here thought it was too much money. In hindsight it was a great deal.

One of the reasons why they signed Holliday to that deal was in a sense to keep Pujols. One of Pujols conditions to staying was that he wanted to be on a team that was competitive. I don't think Pujols is going to hold it against the Cardinals organization or feel bitter about the Holliday contract because the Cards were dealing with the modern economics of baseball rather than the economics of when Pujols signed his deal. What is interesting about the Holliday contract is at the time he signed, people said he was overpaid but with this off season free agency, his contract is now starting to look like a deal. Also, if you look at the Holliday deal, the money per year goes up and I believe they structured it to where Albert Pujols would still be making more money in 2010.

by the way, there is no way he goes to the Cubs.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-06-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Turn Off Ads?