Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walt announced Monday that he's leaving Chapman in the bullpen

Walt announced Monday that he's leaving Chapman in the bullpen

I came on here expecting to see a thread with 50 posts about this, but there wasn't even a thread at all.

To me, this is huge news.

The obvious thing is that he's our #1 LH setup guy in the 8th inning, but he also puts Cordero on a short leash. Bray, Masset or others could become that 8th inning setup guy just as easily if Cordero struggles.

I also don't think it sets anything in stone as far as Cordero being in the bullpen permanently. As hard as he throws and as young as he is, perhaps it's a good thing that he develops his arm by using it multiple times during the season for fewer innings instead of every five days for more innings. It certainly shouldn't harm him (unless Baker makes him one of the five most used pitchers in the Majors like he did Masset and Cordero last season).

There's going to be a lot of save opportunities next year, and I can't blame Walt for trying to replace Rhodes in-house with what looks to be equal talent. Let's face it. Arthur Rhodes got the job done. You don't want to go backwards there if you don't have to.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Walt announced Monday that he's leaving Chapman in the bullpen

I agree this is a great move. We have plenty of starters and it would be nice to have a lock-down type in the 8th inning.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yea, I was glad to see this for the '11 season. Rhodes was ROCK solid in the bullpen last year so it'll be nice to keep everyone else together. Chapman adds an x-factor that not a lot of relief pitchers can touch. People are still going to be stoked to see him pitch and I've got to believe that gets inside the heads of opponents, even if it's just a little bit.

-Matt

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I was the lone voice in the wilderness in support of this last Fall. Now it seems others have come to their senses.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I was the lone voice in the wilderness in support of this last Fall. Now it seems others have come to their senses.
    As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012. He's infinitely more valuable if he becomes a starter, so the sooner he can get there, the better for the Reds. I think the Reds' pen will be fine without him, especially if Jose Arredondo has recovered and is effective.

No big surprise here. The only way I see him making starts is if the Reds have a bad year and want to see what he can do as a starter. I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012. He's infinitely more valuable if he becomes a starter, so the sooner he can get there, the better for the Reds. I think the Reds' pen will be fine without him, especially if Jose Arredondo has recovered and is effective.
    I think Dusty may use Chapman for two or more innings once in awhile to help build the stamina.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Sorry I didn't post the source...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012.
    I do believe the REDS are willing to postpone that for another year, and have done exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I saw you post this exact suggestion in a thread, I believe, on Sunday. Maybe Walt read your suggestion.

I really think Chapman should be a starter and am not happy with any decision that delays it. I think he can have long All-Star career as a starter. I want that to start asap.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I really think Chapman should be a starter and am not happy with any decision that delays it. I think he can have long All-Star career as a starter. I want that to start asap.
    same here. an ace or a closer? not too many true aces around.

Stat geek...and proud
    Yep. Bullpen guys are easier to get than potential aces.
    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I think Dusty may use Chapman for two or more innings once in awhile to help build the stamina.
    Chapman needs to get about 150 innings next year in order to get himself ready for a full time starting role in 2012. No matter how Dusty uses him out of the pen, I can't see him accumulating nearly that many innings unless he's allowed to start at some point during the year.

There's also the matter of Chapman needing to develop a solid third pitch. That's something he likely won't be focusing on in a bullpen role at the major league level.

Chapman needs to get about 150 innings next year in order to get himself ready for a full time starting role in 2012. No matter how Dusty uses him out of the pen, I can't see him accumulating nearly that many innings unless he's allowed to start at some point during the year.

There's also the matter of Chapman needing to develop a solid third pitch. That's something he likely won't be focusing on in a bullpen role at the major league level.
    I don't think Chapman needs to build up Stamina, pitching for the Cuban Team he threw a ton of pitches and logged Innings Year Round...

Turn Off Ads?