Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Play "dictionary" for a minute

Re: Play "dictionary" for a minute

Anyone who watches "Gone With The Wind" over and over again, each time hoping for a different ending.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you but folks "in the south" will not. When I was a student at the U of Tenn-Knoxville they made it very clear that I was a yankee because I lived north of the Mason-Dixon line
    In my experience, Southerners are more concerned about being Southern than Northerners are with being Northern. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, it's just an observation.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I certainly meant Southern as opposed to southern; sorry for my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The Army of Northern Virginia would disagree.
    Historically, Virginia is certainly in "The South" and I would definitely call it a Southern state as opposed to a Northern one. It's just that in my experience, so much of the Virginia I know - Virginia Beach, D.C. and surrounding areas, etc. - doesn't feel "Southern" to me. It's a gray area, I know, and I'm probably not explaining it very well.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    When I think of "The South," it's limited to NC, SC, GA, TX, AR, LA, MS, AL and FL in my mind. But if asked, I'd probably consider myself a Southerner, having lived in Virginia most of my life, even though I don't generally think of Virginia as being part of "The South."

If that makes sense.
    Similarly, when speaking of "The South" in cultural terms as opposed to geography, only some parts of Florida count.
    Not all who wander are lost

1. If you and your spouse had a son, would you name him Sherman?

Carpet-bagging Yankee transplants like me wouldn't have a problem with it.

Southerners would.

2. If there is a 10% chance of snow flurries 3 days from now, what do you do?

Carpet-bagging Yankees don't even notice.

Southerners start getting as excited as 4 year olds on Christmas morning.

3. The word "barbecue".

Yankees think it is a verb meaning "to grill".

Southerners know it is the art (and I do mean art) of smoking a pig to make the tastiest pork on the planet.

4. You want a carbonated soft drink.

Yankees ask for a "pop" or "soda".

Southerners ask for a Coke. Or sweet tea.

5. It is New Year's Day. For good luck...

Yankees eat pork & saurkraut.

Southerners eat black eyed peas & greens.

South of the Ohio and East of the Mississippi.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    3. The word "barbecue".

Yankees think it is a verb meaning "to grill".

Southerners know it is the art (and I do mean art) of smoking a pig to make the tastiest pork on the planet.
    YouTube - The BBQ Song
    Not all who wander are lost

Former states of the Confederacy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Historically, Virginia is certainly in "The South" and I would definitely call it a Southern state as opposed to a Northern one. It's just that in my experience, so much of the Virginia I know - Virginia Beach, D.C. and surrounding areas, etc. - doesn't feel "Southern" to me. It's a gray area, I know, and I'm probably not explaining it very well.
    Virginia is probably a complex state these days. I've had friends who lived in Northern VA and, with all the influx of people from all over the country to work in the DC metro area, it doesn't have a Southern feel to it. Yet a friend of mine from Richmond was very much a "Southern Belle" type. And then there are my wife's cousins who live in the Blue Ridge Mountain area who are very much proud "Hillbillies."

Cincinnati and Hamilton County are very much Midwestern in my mind. With its strong immigrant identity, (so strong in fact that many Cincinnatians differentiate between German Catholics and German Protestants), it has much more in common with cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Chicago than it does with the South, where cities tend to identify as "Southern." However, in some of the rural areas around the city, you get some Southern wannabes who paint Confederate flags on their barns. Of course, you get people like that in Northeast Ohio as well.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Southern Florida is not part of "the South", as far as I'm concerned.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    With its strong immigrant identity, (so strong in fact that many Cincinnatians differentiate between German Catholics and German Protestants), it has much more in common with cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Chicago than it does with the South, where cities tend to identify as "Southern." However, in some of the rural areas around the city, you get some Southern wannabes who paint Confederate flags on their barns. Of course, you get people like that in Northeast Ohio as well.
    Not only that. Heck, Cincinnati differentiates between German Catholics and Irish Catholics. You wouldn't believe the argument that ensued when our good friend, the Kelly family son came home to announce he was going to marry a good Catholic girl and thought his parents would be proud of him. Upon learning that she was a German Catholic they were totally disgusted that he didn't know the difference...true story

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not only that. Heck, Cincinnati differentiates between German Catholics and Irish Catholics. You wouldn't believe the argument that ensued when our good friend, the Kelly family son came home to announce he was going to marry a good Catholic girl and thought his parents would be proud of him. Upon learning that she was a German Catholic they were totally disgusted that he didn't know the difference...true story
    Ever heard of White Irish Pudding?

This stuff bears a striking resemblance to goetta. My wife has a theory- German women married Irish men and cooked them the best approximation of this dish they could muster and called it Götte, or Platdeutsch for "grains and meat". Our own family recipe comes from the German wife of an Irish immigrant, both of whom were Catholic. I've always wondered how that went over at old St. Mary's.

I married an orange wearing, Irish....East Sider. To say there were looks askance would be correct, but since we served loads of beer at our wedding, all was forgiven.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Ever heard of White Irish Pudding?

This stuff bears a striking resemblance to goetta. My wife has a theory- German women married Irish men and cooked them the best approximation of this dish they could muster and called it Götte, or Platdeutsch for "grains and meat". Our own family recipe comes from the German wife of an Irish immigrant, both of whom were Catholic. I've always wondered how that went over at old St. Mary's.

I married an orange wearing, Irish....East Sider. To say there were looks askance would be correct, but since we served loads of beer at our wedding, all was forgiven.
    That's some unattractive food.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I certainly meant Southern as opposed to southern; sorry for my error.
    You also meant, what is one's "connotation" of the word. Nobody can have an opinion on the "dictionary" definition.

Turn Off Ads?