Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auburn Tigers

26 59.09%
  • Oregon Ducks

18 40.91%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Re: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Two years in a row a super high powered Oregon offense has come into a bowl game and scored 17 and 19 points and lost both games. Not sure if that has more to do with the quality of the defense, the lack of Pac 10 defense or the huge layoff, but it is interesting.

Congrats to Auburn. That was a strange game though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Absolute nonsense. Why do Bama fans cheer on Vandy? Why were Auburn/Bama fans cheering on UK at their bowl game? It sure isn't because they're trying to ride coattails.

CONFERENCE PRIDE/ALLEGIANCE in the SEC goes from top to bottom and bottom to top. Fact.

Just accept that we're different from you and move on. We're not changing.

By the way: it's not like it's just SEC fans. We've got a couple big Pac-10 fans on this very board (OBM and RBA).
    It's just an incredible college football experience...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I could care less about which conference is best. I love the tradition and passion of SEC football, the intensity of the rivalries, the high quality of the game day experience, and the world class tailgating with some of the most knowledgeable college football fans concerning the history of their programs that I've ever seen. I've been immersed in big 10, PAC-10, big east, and SEC football and IMHO, the SEC experience is easily the best.
    That of course is a matter of opinion.

Here's some facts. Since the start of the BCS, the SEC also has the best record in BCS bowl games relative to their automatic bid peers (the MWC has won 3 of their 4 appearances so their winning percentage is slightly better than the SEC's). Concerning the BCS bowl game that matters most, the SEC has won 7 of the 12 bowl championship games that weren't vacated (sorry PAC-10 about USC but their sanctions mean the PAC-10 has only legitimately appeared in 1 championship game).

SEC fans are ultra passionate about college football and their conference has tended to reward them on the field far more than any other conference in the NCAA.

In other words, if SEC fans are exceptionally proud of their conference, it would seem to be a reasonable position to adopt.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and have to say that SEC fans in general seem a bit over the top to me. It could be pretty hard to take from time to time.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Two years in a row a super high powered Oregon offense has come into a bowl game and scored 17 and 19 points and lost both games. Not sure if that has more to do with the quality of the defense, the lack of Pac 10 defense or the huge layoff, but it is interesting.

Congrats to Auburn. That was a strange game though.
    There was a total of 10 punts last night.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

By the by... congrats to Jojo on his team's victory. I still remember vividly the absolute joy and elation I felt in 1996 and 1998 when UK won their last basketball championships. You want the feeling to just keep on keepin' on forever. The memories will get better and become even more treasured as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I was rooting more against Auburn because like everyone else, I'm tired of hearing about the SEC and Cam Newton.
    I understand the Cam Newton stuff but what are your issues with the SEC? Don't you respect what they've done?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and have to say that SEC fans in general seem a bit over the top to me. It could be pretty hard to take from time to time.
    They don't have pro teams really. This is all they have with sports. I assume we would all be the same..

That's probably why they are willing to do anything to win down there. It's cutthroat and without cheating you would easily fall back into the pack.

There is a reason that the SEC has had at least one team on probation for the last 25 years straight.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    They don't have pro teams really. This is all they have with sports. I assume we would all be the same..

That's probably why they are willing to do anything to win down there. It's cutthroat and without cheating you would easily fall back into the pack.

There is a reason that the SEC has had at least one team on probation for the last 25 years straight.
    No pro teams in Atlanta?

The south goes all out for football and only football. Outside of Kentucky, basketball is an afterthought for SEC schools

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No pro teams in Atlanta?

The south goes all out for football and only football. Outside of Kentucky, basketball is an afterthought for SEC schools
    Passion leads to desperation..

Again there is a reason that teams over sign/cheat/do anything to win.

It's also reasonable and understandable from my point of view why these teams cheat. But I'm really surprised you can't see why others think it's a sleeze ball league.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Okay so people are allowed to hate the SEC and root against the conference but rooting FOR the SEC is a no-no?
    You're missing the point, WMR. It's not the passion or the rooting, it's the "we're better than you" mentality that constantly comes with it. I don't think anyone cares how much southerners care about colleget football. What I don't get is the need to constantly tell others that they don't measure up. Different, fine? Superior, not so much.

We hear about the SEC is the "best experience" in college football and "by a longshot." Well, I lived right next to the stadium in Ann Arbor for two years and football saturdays there were an incredible experience. It's presumptuous to think it's "better" in the south just because it's different.

I can assure you that Michigan Alumni base who have been coming back to Ann Arbor for decades have the experience that they want. If you took them and transplanted them in Gainesville or Athens, I don't think they'd have any interest in making the Michigan experience more like a typical SEC experience. They like what they have and it's reflection of the alumni and student culture, much like the SEC experience. An SEC person might be bored in Ann Arbor. A Michigan alum would probably be annoyed by all the things that go on in an SEC experience.

It goes beyond just the fan experience. The play on the field is different in ways that reflect the cultures of the universities and alumni bases. There are a lot of things that are a big part of watching a typical SEC game that you just don't see in the Big Ten very often and I hope it stays that way. They might not bother the SEC fanbase, but they just don't go over too well in the Big Ten culture. I'm not suggesting it's better, just different. Different things are valued in different cultures and college football is no different. The SEC does have a monopoly on great college football experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand the Cam Newton stuff but what are your issues with the SEC? Don't you respect what they've done?
    My issue is with the arrogant/cocky SEC fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You're missing the point, WMR. It's not the passion or the rooting, it's the "we're better than you" mentality that constantly comes with it. I don't think anyone cares how much southerners care about colleget football. What I don't get is the need to constantly tell others that they don't measure up. Different, fine? Superior, not so much.

We hear about the SEC is the "best experience" in college football and "by a longshot." Well, I lived right next to the stadium in Ann Arbor for two years and football saturdays there were an incredible experience. It's presumptuous to think it's "better" in the south just because it's different.

I can assure you that Michigan Alumni base who have been coming back to Ann Arbor for decades have the experience that they want. If you took them and transplanted them in Gainesville or Athens, I don't think they'd have any interest in making the Michigan experience more like a typical SEC experience. They like what they have and it's reflection of the alumni and student culture, much like the SEC experience. An SEC person might be bored in Ann Arbor. A Michigan alum would probably be annoyed by all the things that go on in an SEC experience.

It goes beyond just the fan experience. The play on the field is different in ways that reflect the cultures of the universities and alumni bases. There are a lot of things that are a big part of watching a typical SEC game that you just don't see in the Big Ten very often and I hope it stays that way. They might not bother the SEC fanbase, but they just don't go over too well in the Big Ten culture. I'm not suggesting it's better, just different. Different things are valued in different cultures and college football is no different. The SEC does have a monopoly on great college football experience.
    Could you be more specific with what's bolded above?

I can say this. I've been to games in Nashville, Lexington, Knoxville, Athens, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham (back in the good ole days), Oxford and Baton Rouge. I've also been to games in Columbus, Ann Arbor and West Lafayette. The Big 10 experience does not have a monopoly on "class" (a word you didn't use, but may has well have). Nor does the SEC have a monopoly on drunken, loutish behavior.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

I can say this. I've been to games in Nashville, Lexington, Knoxville, Athens, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham (back in the good ole days), Oxford and Baton Rouge. I've also been to games in Columbus, Ann Arbor and West Lafayette. The Big 10 experience does not have a monopoly on "class" (a word you didn't use, but may has well have). Nor does the SEC have a monopoly on drunken, loutish behavior.
    I've never seen a bigger on the field thug than Nick Fairley. Arkansas ran their mouth more than any team I have seen in the past five years also.

I'm not speaking for MWM, but when watching a sporting event I would prefer if at least 1 out of 22 players on the field showed some class.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

I never said class and wasn't even thinking it, so you're putting words in my mouth here. I've been to enough college football games in enough locations to know that they all drink their fair share of beer and drunk people are drunk people no matter where you go. So I don't really know where your comment about drunk, loutish behavior came from. All one needs to do it go to a game in Madison to see that it happens anywhere you go.

As to the bolded portion, I was thinking style and not necessarily class. I was clear to point out that it's merely my own preference. But there's no question that there's a difference in the on field antics when you watch the SEC versus the Big Ten (I'm using the B10 because I watch enough of those games to gauge the difference). Any SEC game I've watch is full of constant showboating, taunting the other team, chest thumping, etc.... You see it occasionally in a Big Ten game, but it's not common and it's certainly not pervasive throughout every game.

Again, it's more a preference thing than anything else. Plenty of my friends who I respect, even Big Ten fans, don't really have much problem with it. As for me, I don't like it and never have. I don't like it when players on teams I root for do it and I've even posted that it's one of the reasons I am not a big fan of Terrelle Pryor (although, Tressel has kept his at a minimum, but it's still more than I like to see).

You can't deny that the football cultures are different. Afterall, the very things that make people talk about how much better the SEC experience is than anywhere else create an atmosphere that lends itself to that kind of play on the field. And if you don't see the difference, you must be watching something completely different than I am. If you have no problem with that stuff, no skin off my back, but I don't care for it and it's one of things that detracts from the quality of play when I watch the SEC play. When people talk about how much better their experience is than others, you shouldn't be surprised when others don't accept it as gosepl and actually try to point things that aren't so great.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I've never seen a bigger on the field thug than Nick Fairley. Arkansas ran their mouth more than any team I have seen in the past five years also.

I'm not speaking for MWM, but when watching a sporting event I would prefer if at least 1 out of 22 players on the field showed some class.
    Brandon Merriweather did take off his helmet and hit a FIU player with it.

But yea Fairley is as dirty of a player as you will see in college football.

Turn Off Ads?