Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auburn Tigers

26 59.09%
  • Oregon Ducks

18 40.91%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Re: Who is your pick to win the BCS National Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I never said class and wasn't even thinking it, so you're putting words in my mouth here. I've been to enough college football games in enough locations to know that they all drink their fair share of beer and drunk people are drunk people no matter where you go. So I don't really know where your comment about drunk, loutish behavior came from. All one needs to do it go to a game in Madison to see that it happens anywhere you go.

As to the bolded portion, I was thinking style and not necessarily class. I was clear to point out that it's merely my own preference. But there's no question that there's a difference in the on field antics when you watch the SEC versus the Big Ten (I'm using the B10 because I watch enough of those games to gauge the difference). Any SEC game I've watch is full of constant showboating, taunting the other team, chest thumping, etc.... You see it occasionally in a Big Ten game, but it's not common and it's certainly not pervasive throughout every game.

Again, it's more a preference thing than anything else. Plenty of my friends who I respect, even Big Ten fans, don't really have much problem with it. As for me, I don't like it and never have. I don't like it when players on teams I root for do it and I've even posted that it's one of the reasons I am not a big fan of Terrelle Pryor (although, Tressel has kept his at a minimum, but it's still more than I like to see).

You can't deny that the football cultures are different. Afterall, the very things that make people talk about how much better the SEC experience is than anywhere else create an atmosphere that lends itself to that kind of play on the field. And if you don't see the difference, you must be watching something completely different than I am. If you have no problem with that stuff, no skin off my back, but I don't care for it and it's one of things that detracts from the quality of play when I watch the SEC play. When people talk about how much better their experience is than others, you shouldn't be surprised when others don't accept it as gosepl and actually try to point things that aren't so great.
    Not a fan of this guy, eh?

And you must not like the NFL much at all.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Really you are coming back with that? You are completely misrepresenting what MWM was saying.

It's not just one or two players on these SEC teams. Players like Nick Fairley are spread out throughout their whole rosters.

And the NFL quote is kinda ironic considering that's what some people think the SEC should just go ahead and turn itself into.. A feeder league.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I loathed Desmond Howard, and that's part of the reason. Understand, I hated Michigan with a passion until I started evaluating schools for my field. That's part of the reason i never understood the conference loyalty thing. I was rooting like hell against Michigan in 1996. I wanted no part of them winning the national championship, and most Michigan people I know loved the 2006 game. I loved the univeristy from my time there though, so I find myself rooting for Michigan except when they play Ohio State.

But I assume Desmond Howard was more tongue in cheek than an actual response to the point I was trying to make.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

But I assume Desmond Howard was more tongue in cheek than an actual response to the point I was trying to make.
    It was and it wasn't. I'd say that very play and Howard's pose was a "culture" changing moment. And it happened in Ann Arbor and the folks there didn't seem to mind so bad.

It's also ironic since that play and his "showboating" lead him to a Heisman Trophy win over arguably the classiest player of our generation. Who happened to play in the SEC.

And no, I largely don't see the culture differences that you refer to. I want to watch exciting football. I could care less if kids thump their chests or showboat a little, so long as they play hard, do some amount of work in the classroom and aren't criminals (which eliminates most programs).

Wait a minute, I'm talking myself out of liking college football altogether here.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...ionship-011011

Well looks like he either went behind Auburn's back of the Auburn AD was lying, but Cecil Newton was at the game.

MWM -- By the way, your high school alma mater has hired a heck of a good football coach. Top-notch, really.

Great Moment in sports, unless you were not a fan, then it sucked... wait that can apply to everything!!

Why does everything have to be ranked?

Best league, best region, most popular sport, most popular on TV, etc... much to do about nothing IMO.

I just like to watch games, I could give a rats behind about the lists aspect of it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...ance/index.html

"Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley is the SEC in microcosm. He's fast, strong, dominant. He can outmuscle a lineman, split a double-team and outrun a quarterback. Between the snap and the whistle, he usually is a joy to watch. But Fairley also grabs facemasks and hits late. His greatness, like the SEC's, has a dark side that occasionally overshadows the excellence.
    So it was quite appropriate after the game when Fairley posted this on Twitter. "The State of Alabama runs College Football!!" Fairley wrote.
    He's correct. The SEC office is in Birmingham."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Brandon Merriweather did take off his helmet and hit a FIU player with it.

But yea Fairley is as dirty of a player as you will see in college football.
    I want no part of that guy when the Bengals pick in the draft. The bad part is that his antics probably push him to the #4 pick.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

And no, I largely don't see the culture differences that you refer to. I want to watch exciting football. I could care less if kids thump their chests or showboat a little, so long as they play hard, do some amount of work in the classroom and aren't criminals (which eliminates most programs).

Wait a minute, I'm talking myself out of liking college football altogether here.

Well, there you have it. It's not something you really notice much, but I do... and the difference between the two conferences is sizeable. I admit to being old-fashioned in that regard and you don't see the same kind of chest thumping, taunting, etc... in the Big Ten that you see throughout the SEC. It's not the celebrations that I mind (i.e. Desmond), it's mostly the getting in opponents faces with every good run or every good hit. You can celebrate without showing poor sportsmanship to your opponents. The OSU-Arkansas game was a good example of the differences between the two cultures.

But to be fair, the SEC is pretty much the same as the NFL, so it's not like they're doing something we don't see a lot of elsewhere. And it seriously reduces my enjoyment of watching NFL games as well, so I'm not trying to single out the SEC. Call me an old coot if you will, but I do mourn the loss of sportsmanship in big time sports, whether it be professional or college. I don't see near the amount of the stuff I hate when watching the Big Ten. It's one of its few redeeming qualities right now. Unfortunately, it's tied to the overall ultra-conservative Big Ten which can be seen in various ways that are leading to its falling further behind the rest of the country. I've always hated the ultra conservative menatality of the Big Ten from its leaders down to its universities' athletic programs. They're always the last to move forward in everything. If the rest of the country gets to a point where they're ready for a playoff, it will be the Big Ten who stands in the way. The need some more progressive mided leaders from the corporate offices to the coaching offices.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

MWM -- By the way, your high school alma mater has hired a heck of a good football coach. Top-notch, really.
    Really? Who? I was talking to my dad over the holidays and he talked about how they ran off a good coach a year or two ago (the guy from Withrow I think) who was only there one year (I think that's what he told me). The FF athletic department has been a mess for years as they've continued to put people in charge who have no qualifications. There's no reason a school like shouldn't be more competitive than they are.

When I was there is when it started. My senior year was Ron Hubbard's last season as head coach. He wasn't the best coach in the world, but they did win a state title in '86 with him. He was the AD too and I think he was decent at that. His replacement was the worst possible choice for the job. He was our offensive coordinator, Stewart was his last name, and he was an awful coach and an even more miserable guy. He was a grade A jerk. He was pissed when he didn't become head coach, so they made him AD.

Since the late 90s, I haven't followed them much other than their wrestling team. The late 80s and early 90s, FF's baseball team was the best in the city (or maybe Moeller, but it was close). Gary Yeates won national coach of the year in 1991 and was a superb coach. He left to go out west a couple years after I graduated. They replaced him with a coach from Midland who did a great job. He had some health issues and had to retire and they've not had a competent coach since. One was Ron Hubbard's son who was an assistant coach when I played JV, the guy just didn't know the game. The guy they have now, Price, is a joke. He was around the babe ruth leagues when I played and was my brother's coach when he was 15. He's a guy that hung around long enough they gave him the job. It's sad how far downhill they've come. Even the wrestling team, which was the premiere program in the city for a few decades is irrelevant.

You've got me curious about this guy. I'll have to call my dad (he's a bus driver for the schools and so he shoud be in the loop). The biggest problem that district faces is that it has stopped using its middle school as feeder programs. That's where you build a consistently good program.

Really? Who? I was talking to my dad over the holidays and he talked about how they ran off a good coach a year or two ago (the guy from Withrow I think) who was only there one year (I think that's what he told me). The FF athletic department has been a mess for years as they've continued to put people in charge who have no qualifications. There's no reason a school like shouldn't be more competitive than they are.

When I was there is when it started. My senior year was Ron Hubbard's last season as head coach. He wasn't the best coach in the world, but they did win a state title in '86 with him. He was the AD too and I think he was decent at that. His replacement was the worst possible choice for the job. He was our offensive coordinator, Stewart was his last name, and he was an awful coach and an even more miserable guy. He was a grade A jerk. He was pissed when he didn't become head coach, so they made him AD.

Since the late 90s, I haven't followed them much other than their wrestling team. The late 80s and early 90s, FF's baseball team was the best in the city (or maybe Moeller, but it was close). Gary Yeates won national coach of the year in 1991 and was a superb coach. He left to go out west a couple years after I graduated. They replaced him with a coach from Midland who did a great job. He had some health issues and had to retire and they've not had a competent coach since. One was Ron Hubbard's son who was an assistant coach when I played JV, the guy just didn't know the game. The guy they have now, Price, is a joke. He was around the babe ruth leagues when I played and was my brother's coach when he was 15. He's a guy that hung around long enough they gave him the job. It's sad how far downhill they've come. Even the wrestling team, which was the premiere program in the city for a few decades is irrelevant.

Jason Krause from Middletown.

He's a tremendous coach and a great guy.
    You've got me curious about this guy. I'll have to call my dad (he's a bus driver for the schools and so he shoud be in the loop). The biggest problem that district faces is that it has stopped using its middle school as feeder programs. That's where you build a consistently good program.

Really? Who?
    http://www.middletownjournal.com/mid...y-1050670.html

He's a good guy, as well. Really seems to relate to kids well. He was a controversial hire at Middletown but won everyone over, including those who did not want him hired at all.

He's had some nice talent at Middletown and if he can find any speed at Fairfield, they'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My issue is with the arrogant/cocky SEC fans.
    Around here the SEC fans are only getting their feathers ruffled when they're told by others that even after all they accomplished, they're still not the best football conference. Still others claim that the SEC is only good because they cheat. For example many, many posts here claim that Auburn cheated in getting Cam Newton to attend yet there's no evidence of that. Conversely there is evidence of cheating with a certain 5 OSU players but the outrage is much more muted.

I go where the facts lead me and I don't see how the SEC has achieved its success illegally

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Around here the SEC fans are only getting their feathers ruffled when they're told by others that even after all they accomplished, they're still not the best football conference. Still others claim that the SEC is only good because they cheat. For example many, many posts here claim that Auburn cheated in getting Cam Newton to attend yet there's no evidence of that. Conversely there is evidence of cheating with a certain 5 OSU players but the outrage is much more muted.

I go where the facts lead me and I don't see how the SEC has achieved its success illegally
    If you really don't see the difference between what Cam Newton is alleged to have done and what the OSU players did and why the outrage would be different than I don't know what to tell you.

Turn Off Ads?