Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Adios Rich Rodriguez

Re: Adios Rich Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This is big loss for Michigan. I was not on the Miles bandwagon 3 years ago, but I think he was the right guy now. The guy can recruit and he can recruit defense, their biggest deficiency. They need a name right now.

I don't know who the other top candidates are, but it looks like they could wind up rolling the dice. This is why you don't make massive mistakes like hiring Rich Rod. That was a colossal mistake at the time and they could be paying for it for years to come.
    Seems to me that Brandon may be a problem himself MWM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Hoke is the replacement:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-foot...011111aab.html

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon announced today (Tuesday, Jan. 11) the hiring of Brady Hoke as the 19th coach in the 131-year history of Michigan football. Hoke arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past eight seasons as a head coach at Ball State (2003-08) and San Diego State (2009-10).

Brady Hoke?

Coaching staffs from Happy Valley to Lincoln are all trying to conceal their grins.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Brady Hoke?

Coaching staffs from Happy Valley to Lincoln are all trying to conceal their grins.
    really?

It's not like Tressel or Schemblecher were from big programs once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Brady Hoke?

I don't know much about him but I do remember the collective thud when Tressel was hired by OSU and that's worked out pretty well.

Schembechler was 40-17-3 at MU when hired by UM. Tressel: 135-57-2 with 4 I-AA championships for good measure.

Hoke: 47-50

Both Schembechler and Tressel are pretty dynamic personalities. Hoke doesn't much seem like it.

Gene Chizek would be a more valid comparison. Maybe?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Honsetly, I think what they would be inheriting probably scared any other candidates off. That defense has no real talent and no recruits coming in. It's going to be hard to win much of anything the next couple of years and I think they all knew this.

However, i wonder if Les Miles will regret his decision in the next year or two. LSU is a great job and he's got what should be a great team coming back, but he's not exactly revered there and if next year's team doesn't deliver, he could find himself on the hot seat very quickly.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Honsetly, I think what they would be inheriting probably scared any other candidates off. That defense has no real talent and no recruits coming in. It's going to be hard to win much of anything the next couple of years and I think they all knew this.

However, i wonder if Les Miles will regret his decision in the next year or two. LSU is a great job and he's got what should be a great team coming back, but he's not exactly revered there and if next year's team doesn't deliver, he could find himself on the hot seat very quickly.
    Lloyd Carr runs the ship up there. Les Miles was really never considered for this job and wasn't offered it according to Detroit Free Press.

Lloyd has a serious problem with Les and this was just a dog and pony show.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I do wonder a bit about Miles' character after some of stuff I've read and heard about him. He obviously has some gravitas as a coach but I'm not sure how I really feel about him as a person.

Do we know that Miles was offered the job and he declined?

Nope, just an assumption. It's probably no coincidence that Hoke was announced pretty much as soon as Miles announced he was staying at LSU. I also don't see why the Michigan folks would fly down to Baton Rouge to meet with him just to not offer him the job. My guess is he said no.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Nope, just an assumption. It's probably no coincidence that Hoke was announced pretty much as soon as Miles announced he was staying at LSU. I also don't see why the Michigan folks would fly down to Baton Rouge to meet with him just to not offer him the job. My guess is he said no.
    ESPN reported that Miles would have taken it if offered. My guess is Mich interviewed him as a courtesy and to explain face to face why he wasn't being chosen.

I didn't like either choice. I think they should have done the smaller school thing and picked off a young, energetic coach in the midwest like UC did with Brian Kelly and CMU. I wouldn't know Brady Hoke if he was next to me at Kroger but the reports I'm hearing from those who do know him are that he's not a step up from RR. That's too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    ESPN reported that Miles would have taken it if offered. My guess is Mich interviewed him as a courtesy and to explain face to face why he wasn't being chosen.

I didn't like either choice. I think they should have done the smaller school thing and picked off a young, energetic coach in the midwest like UC did with Brian Kelly and CMU. I wouldn't know Brady Hoke if he was next to me at Kroger but the reports I'm hearing from those who do know him are that he's not a step up from RR. That's too bad
    OTOH, apparently guys like Charles Woodson and Tom Brady who played at Michigan while he was on staff there rave about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

There's really no way to decipher if he's a step up over RR. Heck, I think anyone would be a step up at this point. I always thought RR was never near as good as the perception. I called RR being a disaster the day it happened. RR was a scheme guy, not necessarily someone who could coach players. In college that makes a big difference.

I think that's one thing that may work in Hoke's favor. He does have a pedigree of knowing how to coach players to play well. He didn't make his mark based on innovative schemes. Who knows how it will turn out, but I'm a bit more optimistic about him than others. For him it will all come down to recruiting. I think if he has players he can get them to play. That's a much better outlook than a guy like Ron Zook who's great at getting players but is clueless on how to coach them.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.

There's really no way to decipher if he's a step up over RR. Heck, I think anyone would be a step up at this point. I always thought RR was never near as good as the perception. I called RR being a disaster the day it happened. RR was a scheme guy, not necessarily someone who could coach players. In college that makes a big difference.
    IMO RR was a guy who used a scheme with more talented players than his competition. On a year in year out basis at WVU he had more talent than all the other Big East teams. When he went to UM I didn't think his system would work at a traditional power. I didn't think the fans would adapt his offense and didn't thought a 3-3-5 defense would be a disaster in the Big 10. RR was a complete disaster at UM, both on the field and off the field. I can't think of a worse hire (that actually coached a season) than RR.

I think that's one thing that may work in Hoke's favor. He does have a pedigree of knowing how to coach players to play well. He didn't make his mark based on innovative schemes. Who knows how it will turn out, but I'm a bit more optimistic about him than others. For him it will all come down to recruiting. I think if he has players he can get them to play. That's a much better outlook than a guy like Ron Zook who's great at getting players but is clueless on how to coach them.
    I really don't know one thing about Hoke. I also don't know if I would want a guy who "really really really wants" that coaching job. Hoke may be good but first and foremost make sure that the fans know he understands the tradition of UM football. If within the first few minutes of speaking he doesn't mention beating OSU and MSU then that would be a mistake. Not as egregious of a mistake as when RR said OSU wasn't that big of a deal.

Turn Off Ads?