Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2011 Reds Winter Caravan

The 2011 Reds Winter Caravan

Here's some information on the 2011 Reds Caravan from JFay.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Who's goin'?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 2011 Reds Winter Caravan

I will normally make it to the Lexington stop, but will be traveling most of that weekend. Hopefully, I can scoot down to make an hour or so.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm actually on vacation throughout the entire Caravan this year so I won't be able to make it to any of the stops. I hope those who do go will share some of their stories and photos with us though.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Here's some information on the 2011 Reds Caravan from JFay.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Who's goin'?
    You might want to actually go to the Reds website and confirm this information since this is John Fay. You may go to the Columbus one and find out they are in Athens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'll be doing the Louisville stop this year.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

If all goes well, me and the missus will try to make all three "legs" of the Caravan again this year...Cincinnati (Southern) and Muncie (Western) on Saturday, and Columbus (Northern) on Sunday....we will try to post pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You might want to actually go to the Reds website and confirm this information since this is John Fay. You may go to the Columbus one and find out they are in Athens.
    SHOCKING!

Like HeatherC1212 said I hope everyone able to attend will share their stories and photos with us in this thread.

That's pretty cool, Columbus gets Dusty, Homer, and Wood.
    Are these things worth going to, or does the broadcaster monopolize all the talking time?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's pretty cool, Columbus gets Dusty, Homer, and Wood.
    Are these things worth going to, or does the broadcaster monopolize all the talking time?
    I think they're a total blast.

Depending on the setting, all of the luminaries tend to be far more accessible than you'd think. A few years back, I had beers with Adam Dunn and watched Austin Kearns melt down during a terrible game of pool.

As far as Q and A goes, plenty of time is usually given to the fans to ask questions. It's not a monologue by any stretch.

The whole thing is super laid back (at least from my experience) and not what you'd expect.

I am a little worried about what it's going to be like at the Polaris location. Is this the first time they've been there? Will there be drinks available?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I am a little worried about what it's going to be like at the Polaris location. Is this the first time they've been there? Will there be drinks available?
    My friend went to the Polaris location one year when the Reds were a bad team. He said there was maybe 20 people there. I was just wondering if it was a case of a broadcaster "hosting" and making it like a bannana phone. I agree that a resturant would be a funner place to have this.
    Anyhow, if I don't have to work or have a family thing, I am going to try to make this thing.. If there is beer to be found, we will find it
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Wheels...my man, it is weird actually answering back to you on here and not getting an "Undertaker". But, I digress...they have been doing the caravan at Polaris for a few years now. I agree with others that it was more enjoyable at Flannagan's...seeing Nuxhall and Brennaman get loose in years past after a few "adult beverages". But, unfortunately Reds brass wants these to be more "family friendly", so venues like Polaris are tapped. The stories of small crowds are exaggerated...every time I have been there, the crowds have been huge....but sorry, no drinks...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Wheels...my man, it is weird actually answering back to you on here and not getting an "Undertaker". But, I digress...they have been doing the caravan at Polaris for a few years now. I agree with others that it was more enjoyable at Flannagan's...seeing Nuxhall and Brennaman get loose in years past after a few "adult beverages". But, unfortunately Reds brass wants these to be more "family friendly", so venues like Polaris are tapped. The stories of small crowds are exaggerated...every time I have been there, the crowds have been huge....but sorry, no drinks...
    Well I ain't goin' then.

Why would I (soberly) subject myself to the likes of Brantley droning on about ice cream or somesuch?

Now....If Jocko were gonna be at this stop, it would be a different story.

I really think Phil Castellini dropped the ball on this one.

Bo - RING.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Does anyone know if any more players have signed up for/or will attend the caravan?

The Reds' site has Drew Stubbs on the Southern leg on Thursday, through Charleston and Huntington/Ashland. I don't think he was listed earlier.

The caravan takes off this week.

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=11880080

Turn Off Ads?