Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 HOF Class announced today

2011 HOF Class announced today

Figure this will be a hot topic with Barry up for election today. Here's a question...how come Fred McGriff doesn't get more love from the voters?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 HOF Class announced today

I am not going to far out on a limb here but it will be Blyleven and Alomar.

Larkin will end up around 58%
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Figure this will be a hot topic with Barry up for election today. Here's a question...how come Fred McGriff doesn't get more love from the voters?
    That's a very good question. For one thing--especially in his 30s--he wasn't often elite. Rather, he was consistently very good. His career high in RBIs was 107. He scored over 100 runs only twice. He never hit 40 home runs in a season. He never came close to 200 hits in a season. He was short of 500 career home runs.

Another thing--and this might be the bigger factor--is that he didn't spend much time playing in big markets. He wasn't flashy.

But if Tony Perez can get voted in, maybe McGriff will eventually make it.

He also drug his career out so long after his prime just trying to get to 500 that he hurt other numbers. He hit like Willie Mays in 72-73, unlike Willie, Fred didnt already have it in the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

HOF % Leaderboard through 132 Full BBWAA Ballots…

93.1 - Alomar
    79.2 - Blyleven
    67.0 - Larkin
    50.0 - J. Morris
    46.2 - Raines
    40.0 - Bagwell
    http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...ering_machine/

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He also drug his career out so long after his prime just trying to get to 500 that he hurt other numbers. He hit like Willie Mays in 72-73, unlike Willie, Fred didnt already have it in the bag.
    He retired in 2004 after a bad 27 game stint.

2003: started the decline with a .750 OPS.

2002: .273/.353/.505 with 30 HRs and 103 RBI.

2001: .306/.386/.544 with 31 and 102.

I wouldn't say his career was dragged out.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Wow I'm impressed that Larkin is sitting right at the cusp over Morris who I think has been on the ballot a few years. I thought he'd be sitting in the 40-50 range.

Its what 70 to make it?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I hope that's right. If it falls like that it would set up Larkin nicely to get in next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Wow I'm impressed that Larkin is sitting right at the cusp over Morris who I think has been on the ballot a few years. I thought he'd be sitting in the 40-50 range.

Its what 70 to make it?
    75%

When I consider someone for the Hall of Fame, I ask myself, "Is he one of the best to ever play his position?" And the thing that really bothers me is that apparently a lot of voters would answer 'yes' when asked about Jack Morris. With all due respect to Morris, how the heck did that happen?

Wow, I can't believe how low Bagwell is. 2nd Greatest NL 1stbaseman of all time?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

On Hall of Fame day, the BBWAA site got hacked

Of course since, by definition, the IT experts are computer geeks I’m guessing half the BBWAA membership is leaning over their shoulders insulting them and telling them that they need to get out of their mothers’ basements once in a while as they try to fix the problem. Might make the fix take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow, I can't believe how low Bagwell is. 2nd Greatest NL 1stbaseman of all time?
    Yeah, I feel the same. The guy fits all of my HoF criteria.

But there is this.... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/sp.../05kepner.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When I consider someone for the Hall of Fame, I ask myself, "Is he one of the best to ever play his position?" And the thing that really bothers me is that apparently a lot of voters would answer 'yes' when asked about Jack Morris. With all due respect to Morris, how the heck did that happen?
    I'm with you. If a career ERA+ of 105 is HOF material, then there really shouldn't be a hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, I feel the same. The guy fits all of my HoF criteria.

But there is this.... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/sp.../05kepner.html
    From an espn article

Similarly, in an interview with ESPN, Jeff Bagwell insisted he, too, was clean. Now, Bagwell had never tested positive but has been caught up in the rampant speculation that surrounds players who bulked up during this time.

Bagwell hit a total of only four home runs in the minor leagues—four—and yet went on to become a terrific slugger who also just happened to lift weights with Mark McGwire. He also played with Andy Pettitte and was coached by Rudy Jaramillo.

Innuendo and assumptions, the science of the BBWAA

Turn Off Ads?