Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cubs close to trading for Matt Garza

Cubs close to trading for Matt Garza

MLBTR Link

The Cubs are close to trading for Rays righty Matt Garza, reports Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs close to trading for Matt Garza

10:53am: Major League sources tell David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com that the teams have discussed Garza, but other names have not been exchanged. Though the Cubs are willing to part with talent for the right-hander, the Rays would have to be overwhelmed to move him, Kaplan reports.
    from www.mlbtraderumors.com

or not so close

Seriously if the Cubs deal for him, with the slop that they have in their farm system I am going to be mad.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I'm sure the Reds could trump a Cubs offer but maybe the Reds don't want to add him to the payroll. What's Garza going to get in arbitration this year, $5-6M??? I'd love for the Reds to get Garza and I'm sure the FO would also, maybe they just don't have the money?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm sure the Reds could trump a Cubs offer but maybe the Reds don't want to add him to the payroll. What's Garza going to get in arbitration this year, $5-6M??? I'd love for the Reds to get Garza and I'm sure the FO would also, maybe they just don't have the money?

He's getting expensive and trending down over the last few years.

His K rate is going down, he throws more FB's every year, his xFIP was 4.51 last year.

This just might be a case of the Rays trading a player at his peak of value.

He's an OK pitcher, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and what we already got.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He's getting expensive and trending down over the last few years.

His K rate is going down, he throws more FB's every year, his xFIP was 4.51 last year.

This just might be a case of the Rays trading a player at his peak of value.

He's an OK pitcher, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and what we already got.
    He's a bit of a nut case too isn't he? Garza and Zambrano would make for an interesting combo...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

MLBTR Link

The Cubs are discussing a potential Matt Garza trade with the Rays, according to Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald. The Cubs are getting set to send Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer and Robinson Chirinos to the Rays, according to Miles. There may be additional parts to the deal for each team, Miles reports.
    Basically looks like Boxberger, Nigron, Sappelt, and Frazier for Garza+.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Basically looks like Boxberger, Nigron, Sappelt, and Frazier for Garza+.
    I have to think the Cubs package is quite a bit better. Using Baseball America rankings, you list 1 Reds top 10 guy -- Frazier at #9. Cubs package includes their #1, #4 and #10.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I have to think the Cubs package is quite a bit better. Using Baseball America rankings, you list 1 Reds top 10 guy -- Frazier at #9. Cubs package includes their #1, #4 and #10.
    Agreed. That looks like quite the haul. I think the Rays win that deal.

Man, the NL Central farm systems are going to be embarassing if this deal goes through.

The Cubs need a WHOLE lot more than Matt Garza to save their team. If they pull the trigger on that they just set themselves back even further, IMO. Fine with me.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Now MLBTR saying that Fernando Perez (OF-TB) is also going to the Cubs.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

On November 28, 2007, the Rays traded (Delmon) Young, along with Brendan Harris and Jason Pridie, to the Minnesota Twins for Jason Bartlett, Matt Garza, and Eduardo Morlan.[14]
    And now Tampa has traded away both Bartlett and Garza for a bunch of prospects. Two players that were about to be replaced anyway for alot of cheap players with potential to help down the road. For teams that don't have a lot of money to work with that makes alot of sense.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    However, how good is the Cubs system? Their #4 prospect could have a ceiling of a backup waterboy.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Another NL Central team gives up a big package of prospects. At least Milwaukee got impact in return. Garza is a mid-rotation guy whom them Cubs didn't really need.

I really like how the Reds are positioned for the next 3-4 years.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?