Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How and WHOM will be the Reds rotation

How and WHOM will be the Reds rotation

Right now we have 6 guys for 5 spots, with that 5 spot someone who might not see much consistant action over the first couple of months of the season. So of those listed below, who is on your 5 man rotation and in what order?

Bronson A.
    Travis W
    Mike L.
    Johnny C.
    Edison V.
    Homer B.

Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
    Cuteo - 2
    Wood - 3
    Volequz - 4
    Leake - 5

Which leaves Bailey out. I am just not sold on him, I would really look hard to move him for some bat help if possible, but right now he is not in my starting rotation and i don't think he is mentally able to pitch out of the pen.
    Last edited by brm7675; 01-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How and WHOM will be the Reds rotation

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
    Cuteo - 2
    Wood - 3
    Volequz - 4
    Wood - 5
    Im assuming you don't have Wood pitching twice in 5 days on purpose, right?

dont think id go with a 4 man rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Im assuming you don't have Wood pitching twice in 5 days on purpose, right?
    My bad, Wood would be 3, I have Leake as my 5 guy, still want to work him in slowly...
    Last edited by brm7675; 01-05-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Right now Wood is my fifth starter, he will see the least amount of action of the 5 starters.
    He's also listed as your third starter...

assume he meant Leake in the 3 spot
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    assume he meant Leake in the 3 spot
    No I think he thinks Wood can go on 1 days rest every week...

Bailey's the odd man out. However, I'm not sold on Volquez or Leake. Volquez was just too shaky at the end of the season. Hopefully, it's just the effects of the post TJ surgery and he becomes more consistent.... something he's never really been in his career. Lots of theories for Leake's struggles the last part of the season. Was it pitch count, fatigue, or had hitters figured him out after a few times around the league?

I think Homer will beat one of them out - Volquez or Leake.

Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year. On the other hand, what will we get with Volquez? Who knows? Will we get Leake's first half or second half? or something in between?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think Homer will beat one of them out - Volquez or Leake.

Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year. On the other hand, what will we get with Volquez? Who knows? Will we get Leake's first half or second half? or something in between?
    I think both are a work in progress. I think both will have their bumps in teh road each for different reasons, but i think long term Leake will have a better career, but I like that we have both. I couldn't disagree more with you on homer, I just don't see the mental part being there...

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post

Just a feeling I have about Homer. He just seemed poised, confident and effective at the end of the year.
    Same could be said of the last couple years.

I'm not buying Homer yet. He would be my trade candidate.

Right now we have 6 guys for 5 spots, with that 5 spot someone who might not see much consistant action over the first couple of months of the season. So of those listed below, who is on your 5 man rotation and in what order?

Bronson A.
    Travis W
    Mike L.
    Johnny C.
    Edison V.
    Homer B.

Personaly I go:

Bronson - 1
    Cuteo - 2
    Wood - 3
    Volequz - 4
    Leake - 5

Which leaves Bailey out. I am just not sold on him, I would really look hard to move him for some bat help if possible, but right now he is not in my starting rotation and i don't think he is mentally able to pitch out of the pen.
    Bailey came out of the pen against the Phils and shut them down for two innings and looked really good doing so. I think he could be a very good middle reliever, possibly going long innings if needed to and giving the team the occasional spot start.

That said, I'm still not sure that he couldn't be a good starter. His outing against the Dodgers last season was masterful and he's only 24 years old. He might be ready to break out big time this coming season.

Nice problem to have!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I expect one to be traded by opening day.

IF they all are here, I'd go with a 6 man rotation. Not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Bailey's the odd man out. However, I'm not sold on Volquez or Leake. Volquez was just too shaky at the end of the season. Hopefully, it's just the effects of the post TJ surgery and he becomes more consistent.... something he's never really been in his career. Lots of theories for Leake's struggles the last part of the season. Was it pitch count, fatigue, or had hitters figured him out after a few times around the league?
    Actually, Volquez got better as his time in the majors back from surgery went on. The control he showed in his last couple games was very impressive considering how recently he had returned from surgery. Admittedly that last split only cover 4 games so small sample size clearly applies.

Code:
    I      Split W L W-L%  ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV   IP  H  R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP  BF  WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
            July 1 1 .500 8.25 3  3  0  0   0  0 12.0 14 11 11  3 10   0 16   1  0  0  61 2.000 12.0  1.60
          August 2 1 .667 5.09 5  5  0  0   0  0 23.0 28 13 13  3 17   0 20   2  0  2 111 1.957  7.8  1.18
        Sept/Oct 1 1 .500 1.95 4  4  0  0   0  0 27.2 17  6  6  0  8   0 31   0  0  3 103 0.904 10.1  3.88
    As for Leake, I would probably say it was a mix of fatigue and hitters figuring him out the next time around. I would hope that once his stamina is built up he would be more able to adjust to batters figuring him out.

Also, since Bailey is out of options, and the Reds want to give him one more shot at the rotation, it will most likely be Leake or Wood as the odd man out. I would say that Wood is probably better to have in the rotation since he is a lefty and with some of the promise he showed last year.

Someone will struggle or get injured before opening day. As for the 5th man not getting much action early, I believe they cut back on the number of off days this year. With a young rotation I doubt you see the 5th spot getting skipped much if it all.

Turn Off Ads?