Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Renteria signs with Reds

Re: Renteria signs with Reds

I have to admit I find it funny to read through this and one of the people more optimistic about the teams abilities is the cardinals fan
    LOL you are right, I am optimistic about the future of the Reds. I just look at their team and they are loaded with pitching depth (which is at least 75% of the struggle most teams find themselves in on any given off season in my opinion) and they have young players at other positions. I think they will be fine if they have a couple of old guys that know how to win in their lineup. Really, could Rentauria be any worse than Orlando Cabrera? Besides, I like Janish and he could work out well if the Rentauria experiment is a failure.

I got bashed in here and on other boards because I wasn't all up in arms and didn't criticize management about the Lance Berkman deal for the Cardinals. Berkman could be a disaster in right field. However I can see the upside of having him in the lineup with Pujols and Holliday. If it doesn't work out, John Jay and Allen Craig are promising talents that could fill out nicely. That platoon was the original plan to begin with before Berkman.

The point is, if Rentauria fails, I don't think its going to put you guys in the poor house at that position. You have contingency plans if it fails. I just think theoretically it could work out.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

and he made the statement today that he expects to be an everyday shortstop for the Reds. mmmm, did someone tell him that he is a backup? if not this may be a problem in the clubhouse. Just saying, time will tell all

And we thought Cabrera was bad last season.....

I'm guessing this will be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Walt maybe but Dusty? Really? this is the manager that played Orlando over Janish last season, gave more starts to Hernandez over Hannigan, played Phillips when he was hurt and coulnd't produce, kept pitchers in to long costing us games and the No. 1 seed in teh playoffs and so on....you trust that?
    Did I stutter?

I know that Baker made the statement after ER's but I say where there is smoke there is fire. I don't think a vet like ER would say he expects to be a regular if he hasn't been told that he would receive the bulk of the playing time. Maybe I am wrong about the guy but ER through all of his injuries I don't recall him being a cancer or ever making a statement that could be taken the wrong way. I think he really thinks that he is going to be a regular.

Time tells all but I have a feeling that ER will be at short far more than Paul

You can take it to the bank that Duhsty was behind this. You can take it to the bank that Renteria gets more playing time than Janish.

Guy had a few lucky hits in the ws, stupid signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well if he makes 3 Million...

The Reds should have taken that 3 Million, the 3 Million given to Hernadez, and the 1 Million given to Cairo and put it towards a true difference maker...

These moves are more of the, making a move to make a move, as some of you have been telling me the Reds Shouldn't do... When I talk about the Reds paying BJ Upton 4-5 Million, or the Reds making the Trade for Greinke instead for 13.5 Million...

I mean, who would you rather have

Cairo, Renteria, and Hernadez for 7 Million

or

Greinke for 13.5 Million

Paying only 6.5 Million more???? Plus I understand another 1.2 Million to replace the 3 Mentioned players...
    I've kind of agreed with your stance on adding a proven impact player this offseason, but I have to completely disagree here. A baseball season is really long and injuries can quickly derail any team's journey to the postseason. The Reds could use some depth and they're getting it in the form of proven veterans--in Renteria's case, one of the best playoff performers of the past 2 decades.
    I think the Reds are going to be better because of the improvement of the young players already on the roster, but if guys go down for an extended period of time, I don't want to have to rely on players like Valaika, Francisco, Mesoraco, etc. to contribute. Simply consider where this team would have been last year without the contribution they got from Cairo when Rolen or Votto couldn't play.
    Greinke's in Milwaukee, get over it. If the Reds can add cheap bits and pieces that can help, I'm all for it.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Lets see we sign a player with a 116 wRC+ against LH pitching last season and a 6.9 UZR and people are applauding that out of what will be the every day Reds SS? Uggggg
    You keep saying this.

I'll bet you right now that (injuries aside) Janish is the Opening Day shortstop. Loser doesn't post on this site for a month.

Edited to add: I also want to go on the record as saying that Janish won't just be the Opening Day starter, but also that he'll get the majority of the starts, 100+.
    Last edited by OGB; 01-10-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    You keep saying this.

I'll bet you right now that (injuries aside) Janish is the Opening Day shortstop. Loser doesn't post on this site for a month.

Edited to add: I also want to go on the record as saying that Janish won't just be the Opening Day starter, but also that he'll get the majority of the starts, 100+.
    I really hope your right, but history begs to differ with you on this call.

Per Mark Sheldon:

Since Renteria agreed to terms on a deal with the Reds on Thursday, there had been a lot of speculation about the status of Janish at shortstop. When the club gets to camp, he will still be the regular shortstop.

"I called Janish on Saturday to make sure he knew that," Jocketty said.

Meet your new Cincinnati Reds starting SS

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Meet your new Cincinnati Reds backup middle infielder
    Fixed that for you

Good lord, this thread.

With this signing, we're clearly going to win only 30 games, get swept by the Pirates and lose Chapman, Wood, and Leake to Tommy John. More than likely the team will get moved to Montreal and Cincinnati will become home only to a soon-to-be defunct Outdoor Basketball Team starring Melvin Levett.

This signing is not one to make or break the season. This signing does not mean we should be showing Walt the door, as some previously said. Is ER the future? Of course not. Does he bring some intangibles to the clubhouse which could help our predominantly young roster? Of course he does.

I've never seen so many hyperbolic statements regarding such a small piece of this puzzle in my life. You say that this is what being a die-hard fan is about but you're not even using logic. It's just "BUT HE'S GOING TO STATRAND IT WILL BE A BLACKHOLEEEE!! GAAHH FIRE DUSTY." There is more to being a die-hard fan than just being pessimistic and negative towards your team.

It will work or it won't. We'll win the World Series or we won't. But I'm confident in saying that whether we do or not, the Edgar Renteria signing is not going to be the x-factor that decides it.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Good lord, this thread.

With this signing, we're clearly going to win only 30 games, get swept by the Pirates and lose Chapman, Wood, and Leake to Tommy John. More than likely the team will get moved to Montreal and Cincinnati will become home only to a soon-to-be defunct Outdoor Basketball Team starring Melvin Levett.

This signing is not one to make or break the season. This signing does not mean we should be showing Walt the door, as some previously said. Is ER the future? Of course not. Does he bring some intangibles to the clubhouse which could help our predominantly young roster? Of course he does.

I've never seen so many hyperbolic statements regarding such a small piece of this puzzle in my life. You say that this is what being a die-hard fan is about but you're not even using logic. It's just "BUT HE'S GOING TO STATRAND IT WILL BE A BLACKHOLEEEE!! GAAHH FIRE DUSTY." There is more to being a die-hard fan than just being pessimistic and negative towards your team.

It will work or it won't. We'll win the World Series or we won't. But I'm confident in saying that whether we do or not, the Edgar Renteria signing is not going to be the x-factor that decides it.
    I think you would be better at reading Fay, McCoy, and Sheldon rather than read a Posting Board where people Debate. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Good lord, this thread.

I would disagree. This signing shows a lack of understanding of your manager and his traits to play agging vets over quality younger players. This signing places a black hole on the left side of our infield and increases the chances of losses. He brings zero to this team at this point. This was, is and will be a bad signing and the only hope we have is that he is physically unable to play this season...

Turn Off Ads?