Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will play more at SS

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul Janish

    9 30.00%
  • Edgar R.

    20 66.67%
  • A surprise trade or sign will come in and take that position

    1 3.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Who will see more playing time?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Who will see more playing time?

    Okay the debate over the signing of Edgar I believe comes down to 1 thing and that is playing time. If as Walt says, Edgar is your infield backup, then it's an okay signing, however, if as history shows us, Dusty prefers vets over younger players then Edgar who is way past his prime is going to be the everyday starting SS which is not good for this team. So it's time to vote, at seasons end, baring injuries, whom do you think will see more playing time at SS?

  2. #2
    Hanigan's Homies DirtyBaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    397

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Because it's up to Dusty and not us, probably Renteria. I just hope Janish plays the Sunday specials.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    For those of you who see Janish starting, you're in for a long season, although I think Janish will get day games for sure...

  4. #4
    Member wlf WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    huntington,wv
    Posts
    607

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    I thought Janish was given job to lose,or is my memory sputtering.Eventually,if this is true your integrity will come into question and that is not worth a small part of team concept. But my gut tells me Renteria was told he would have playing time,or else I don't believe he would have signed.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I thought Janish was given job to lose,or is my memory sputtering.Eventually,if this is true your integrity will come into question and that is not worth a small part of team concept. But my gut tells me Renteria was told he would have playing time,or else I don't believe he would have signed.
    Janish was told that last season then they signed Orlando C. He was told that again this offseason and now this. The signing isn't the problem, the problem is in who as the poll question asks will see the most playing time.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,484

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    This poll question is moot.

    From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

    Edgar Renteria told reporters Thursday that he will be the full-time shortstop in Cincinnati this season.

    He's certainly being paid like one. According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Renteria will make $2.1 million in guaranteed salary this season and can earn another $900,000 through performance-based incentives. Now the question becomes: what will the Reds do with the slick-fielding Paul Janish?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,484

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Just like going into last season, it was easy to see than Janish was not only head-and-shoulders better Defensively than Cabrera (at the most important Defensive position on the field), but that he would have a better On-Base-Percentage.

    The same thing goes this year.

    Renteria has a good couple of games in the World Series and all of a sudden he's a better Shortstop that Paul Janish. That's typical Dusty Baker thinking and typical thinking that ignore all facts.

    I'm sure that the ORG is all over this one with every fact possible showing what a stupid move this is by Baker. (I won't for a second put this on Walt, as it's too obvious that this is Baker's signing. Walt, being the good man that he is, won't throw Baker under the bus and will claim that it was his idea, but that's just impossible as it goes against everything that Walt stands for with his philosophy of play.)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Just like going into last season, it was easy to see than Janish was not only head-and-shoulders better Defensively than Cabrera (at the most important Defensive position on the field), but that he would have a better On-Base-Percentage.

    The same thing goes this year.

    Renteria has a good couple of games in the World Series and all of a sudden he's a better Shortstop that Paul Janish. That's typical Dusty Baker thinking and typical thinking that ignore all facts.

    I'm sure that the ORG is all over this one with every fact possible showing what a stupid move this is by Baker. (I won't for a second put this on Walt, as it's too obvious that this is Baker's signing. Walt, being the good man that he is, won't throw Baker under the bus and will claim that it was his idea, but that's just impossible as it goes against everything that Walt stands for with his philosophy of play.)
    Sorry but last time I checked, Walt not Dusty is the GM. To me it's simple, this is Walt's screw up big time. I don't care what Dusty "wants" a good GM will give his manager the players "HE" feels will help the team with "some" imput from the manager. This bone head move is all on Walt...all he had to say was NO WAY. What could Dusty do?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    929

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Sorry but last time I checked, Walt not Dusty is the GM. To me it's simple, this is Walt's screw up big time. I don't care what Dusty "wants" a good GM will give his manager the players "HE" feels will help the team with "some" imput from the manager. This bone head move is all on Walt...all he had to say was NO WAY. What could Dusty do?
    You said on another post - that if Walt couldn't stand up to Dusty and tell him that the Reds were going to stop bringing in old-washed players who couldn't play or words to that effect than he needs to go - which is it? A Walt move or a Dusty move and Walt can't stand up to him?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    You said on another post - that if Walt couldn't stand up to Dusty and tell him that the Reds were going to stop bringing in old-washed players who couldn't play or words to that effect than he needs to go - which is it? A Walt move or a Dusty move and Walt can't stand up to him?
    this stupid move falls soley on Walt. Either Walt has lost it and needs to retire, or his passion for former Cards is scary or he doesn't have the you know whats to stand up to his manager and tell him he is not bringing in a washed up SS to play over Janish. In any case I can't blame Dusty for this move, anyone with a brain knows Dustys love for the vet over the youth and that he will play any vet he can over youth everyday and twice on sunday. Walt should know better...but I guess he doesn't.

  11. #11
    Dyslexic Taquitos Quatitos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    322

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    For Dusty's Take on the situation: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ersy-at-short/

    “I don’t know. We don’t have a quarterback controversy at short. Everybody plays on my team. They’re both going to play. Janish is younger. Edgar is more experienced. Janish deserves a chance to be my shortstop.”
    Dusty also says he plans on playing Renteria at different positions, so atleast in Dusty's mind Renteria is more penciled into the backup role at the moment (can very easily change, but that is how it seems).

    Couple that with the fact it is a lot more likely for Renteria to have a stint or two on the DL, it is looking like Janish will end up with more playing time at shortstop this season, in my opinion.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,484

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Sorry but last time I checked, Walt not Dusty is the GM. To me it's simple, this is Walt's screw up big time. I don't care what Dusty "wants" a good GM will give his manager the players "HE" feels will help the team with "some" imput from the manager. This bone head move is all on Walt...all he had to say was NO WAY. What could Dusty do?
    Don't be blind to the facts, man.

    Corey Patterson.

    Jerry Hairston.

    Orlando Cabrera.

    Miguel Cairo.

    Edgar Renteria.

    Baker likes guys he's managed before are are close to, especially if they can't hit and can't field, while always playing them at the most needed Defensive position on the field.

    I'm sure I'm missing a person or two from this list.

    *****2 + 2 = 4

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Don't be blind to the facts, man.

    Corey Patterson.

    Jerry Hairston.

    Orlando Cabrera.

    Miguel Cairo.

    Edgar Renteria.

    Baker likes guys he's managed before are are close to, especially if they can't hit and can't field, while always playing them at the most needed Defensive position on the field.

    I'm sure I'm missing a person or two from this list.

    *****2 + 2 = 4
    Last time I checked managers don't sign players. They can talk with the GM over whom they would like to have or whom they feel can help the team, but I would hope the GM has the final word.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Who will see more playing time?

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.
    If Renteria can be healthy and play in 140 Games which he hasn't done in 3 years... The Team is Better...

    My point is that all these so so players the Reds are retaining, their combined Salaries could have been towards 1 Player who fills a Need.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25