9 30.00%
  • Edgar R.

20 66.67%
  • A surprise trade or sign will come in and take that position

1 3.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will see more playing time?

Who will see more playing time?

Okay the debate over the signing of Edgar I believe comes down to 1 thing and that is playing time. If as Walt says, Edgar is your infield backup, then it's an okay signing, however, if as history shows us, Dusty prefers vets over younger players then Edgar who is way past his prime is going to be the everyday starting SS which is not good for this team. So it's time to vote, at seasons end, baring injuries, whom do you think will see more playing time at SS?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will see more playing time?

Because it's up to Dusty and not us, probably Renteria. I just hope Janish plays the Sunday specials.

For those of you who see Janish starting, you're in for a long season, although I think Janish will get day games for sure...

I thought Janish was given job to lose,or is my memory sputtering.Eventually,if this is true your integrity will come into question and that is not worth a small part of team concept. But my gut tells me Renteria was told he would have playing time,or else I don't believe he would have signed.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I thought Janish was given job to lose,or is my memory sputtering.Eventually,if this is true your integrity will come into question and that is not worth a small part of team concept. But my gut tells me Renteria was told he would have playing time,or else I don't believe he would have signed.
    Janish was told that last season then they signed Orlando C. He was told that again this offseason and now this. The signing isn't the problem, the problem is in who as the poll question asks will see the most playing time.

This poll question is moot.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Edgar Renteria told reporters Thursday that he will be the full-time shortstop in Cincinnati this season.

He's certainly being paid like one. According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Renteria will make $2.1 million in guaranteed salary this season and can earn another $900,000 through performance-based incentives. Now the question becomes: what will the Reds do with the slick-fielding Paul Janish?

Just like going into last season, it was easy to see than Janish was not only head-and-shoulders better Defensively than Cabrera (at the most important Defensive position on the field), but that he would have a better On-Base-Percentage.

The same thing goes this year.

Renteria has a good couple of games in the World Series and all of a sudden he's a better Shortstop that Paul Janish. That's typical Dusty Baker thinking and typical thinking that ignore all facts.

I'm sure that the ORG is all over this one with every fact possible showing what a stupid move this is by Baker. (I won't for a second put this on Walt, as it's too obvious that this is Baker's signing. Walt, being the good man that he is, won't throw Baker under the bus and will claim that it was his idea, but that's just impossible as it goes against everything that Walt stands for with his philosophy of play.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Just like going into last season, it was easy to see than Janish was not only head-and-shoulders better Defensively than Cabrera (at the most important Defensive position on the field), but that he would have a better On-Base-Percentage.

The same thing goes this year.

Renteria has a good couple of games in the World Series and all of a sudden he's a better Shortstop that Paul Janish. That's typical Dusty Baker thinking and typical thinking that ignore all facts.

I'm sure that the ORG is all over this one with every fact possible showing what a stupid move this is by Baker. (I won't for a second put this on Walt, as it's too obvious that this is Baker's signing. Walt, being the good man that he is, won't throw Baker under the bus and will claim that it was his idea, but that's just impossible as it goes against everything that Walt stands for with his philosophy of play.)
    Sorry but last time I checked, Walt not Dusty is the GM. To me it's simple, this is Walt's screw up big time. I don't care what Dusty "wants" a good GM will give his manager the players "HE" feels will help the team with "some" imput from the manager. This bone head move is all on Walt...all he had to say was NO WAY. What could Dusty do?

Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.
    If Renteria can be healthy and play in 140 Games which he hasn't done in 3 years... The Team is Better...

My point is that all these so so players the Reds are retaining, their combined Salaries could have been towards 1 Player who fills a Need.

It will be Renteria, they're just saying Janish at this point. I think Renteria will play when he can for the most part, maybe being spelled by Janish because of age kinda like they did with Rolen last year, giving him breaks to rest up. At least that's what I think will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Sorry but last time I checked, Walt not Dusty is the GM. To me it's simple, this is Walt's screw up big time. I don't care what Dusty "wants" a good GM will give his manager the players "HE" feels will help the team with "some" imput from the manager. This bone head move is all on Walt...all he had to say was NO WAY. What could Dusty do?
    You said on another post - that if Walt couldn't stand up to Dusty and tell him that the Reds were going to stop bringing in old-washed players who couldn't play or words to that effect than he needs to go - which is it? A Walt move or a Dusty move and Walt can't stand up to him?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Don't be blind to the facts, man.

Corey Patterson.

Jerry Hairston.

Orlando Cabrera.

Miguel Cairo.

Edgar Renteria.

Baker likes guys he's managed before are are close to, especially if they can't hit and can't field, while always playing them at the most needed Defensive position on the field.

I'm sure I'm missing a person or two from this list.

*****2 + 2 = 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    If Renteria can be healthy and play in 140 Games which he hasn't done in 3 years... The Team is Better...

My point is that all these so so players the Reds are retaining, their combined Salaries could have been towards 1 Player who fills a Need.

.....better chance for missing the playoffs.

If I was Janish, I'd walk. I'd refuse to report. His talents are being wasted.

He's not a superstar or a future All-Star at any point in his career. He has a small window to prove himself, and that window of opportunity is being wasted in a REDS uniform by the King of wasting talent, Dusty Baker.

Turn Off Ads?