• Edgar R.

20 66.67%
  • A surprise trade or sign will come in and take that position

1 3.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who will see more playing time?

Re: Who will see more playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.
    There's nothing obvious about that. There are no dots to connect to suggest that.

The dots that connect is another in a long line of dots of ex-Baker buddies that need a job desperately (San Fran would only offer the guy a backup job at $1M), that Baker is willing to use his clout with Castellini and over-ride Walt's decision to go with the better player in Janish.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There's nothing obvious about that. There are no dots to connect to suggest that.

The dots that connect is another in a long line of dots of ex-Baker buddies that need a job desperately (San Fran would only offer the guy a backup job at $1M), that Baker is willing to use his clout with Castellini and over-ride Walt's decision to go with the better player in Janish.
    Kingspoint,

I highly doubt this is Dusty pulling a Corey Patterson...

This is ALL Walt as Walt has history with Renteria from 1999-2004

That's just the way it is...

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Obviously the organization isn't comfortable handing the every day starting spot to Janish at this point, and I don't have a problem with that. When you aren't 100% confident in your first option, it's always good to have a pretty good second option. Whether or not Janish or Renteria is the starter, I'm glad we have a backup plan.
    You call this a backup plan?

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    You said on another post - that if Walt couldn't stand up to Dusty and tell him that the Reds were going to stop bringing in old-washed players who couldn't play or words to that effect than he needs to go - which is it? A Walt move or a Dusty move and Walt can't stand up to him?
    this stupid move falls soley on Walt. Either Walt has lost it and needs to retire, or his passion for former Cards is scary or he doesn't have the you know whats to stand up to his manager and tell him he is not bringing in a washed up SS to play over Janish. In any case I can't blame Dusty for this move, anyone with a brain knows Dustys love for the vet over the youth and that he will play any vet he can over youth everyday and twice on sunday. Walt should know better...but I guess he doesn't.

Don't be blind to the facts, man.

Corey Patterson.

Jerry Hairston.

Orlando Cabrera.

Miguel Cairo.

Edgar Renteria.

Baker likes guys he's managed before are are close to, especially if they can't hit and can't field, while always playing them at the most needed Defensive position on the field.

I'm sure I'm missing a person or two from this list.

*****2 + 2 = 4
    Last time I checked managers don't sign players. They can talk with the GM over whom they would like to have or whom they feel can help the team, but I would hope the GM has the final word.

If I was Janish, I'd walk. I'd refuse to report. His talents are being wasted.

He's not a superstar or a future All-Star at any point in his career. He has a small window to prove himself, and that window of opportunity is being wasted in a REDS uniform by the King of wasting talent, Dusty Baker.
    I agree, if I was Janish I would be in Walt's office first thing monday morning and tell him very nicely either release me or I don't report.

For Dusty's Take on the situation: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ersy-at-short/

“I don’t know. We don’t have a quarterback controversy at short. Everybody plays on my team. They’re both going to play. Janish is younger. Edgar is more experienced. Janish deserves a chance to be my shortstop.”
    Dusty also says he plans on playing Renteria at different positions, so atleast in Dusty's mind Renteria is more penciled into the backup role at the moment (can very easily change, but that is how it seems).

Couple that with the fact it is a lot more likely for Renteria to have a stint or two on the DL, it is looking like Janish will end up with more playing time at shortstop this season, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    For Dusty's Take on the situation: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ersy-at-short/

Dusty also says he plans on playing Renteria at different positions,
    like what positions? 3B?

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    like what positions? 3B?
    2B and I would imagine the second backup for a corner infield spot if Cairo is hurt or both need to play at a time. Assuming Brandon's normal playing time Renteria could see 10-15 starts at 2B and he could also possibly see about 5-10 games at a corner spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    2B and I would imagine the second backup for a corner infield spot if Cairo is hurt or both need to play at a time. Assuming Brandon's normal playing time Renteria could see 10-15 starts at 2B and he could also possibly see about 5-10 games at a corner spot.
    All I know is i feel sorry for any fans that attends Reds home games and get stuck watching this guy play and take time away from real talented players.

Turn Off Ads?