Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How many division winners have made moves

How many division winners have made moves

There are those here who believe the Reds should have made some major moves so far in the offseason to improve their team. Well okay lets review last years division winners...

Philly: Added Cliff Lee, which is nice but to me is overkill. They showed they lacked depth when key players went down to injuries and really had to struggle to win the division. They lose Werth which was a major bat in their lineup and have yet to replace him. So have the Phillies really improved their overall team since the end of the season?

Giants: WS Champions...what great moves did this team that took till the final day of the season to win their divisiond done so far?

Texas: They lose Lee and add some very overpriced FA, have they really improved themselves much?

Minnesota: Have they made any moves to be able to take that next step and get past the first round next year?

TB/Yanks; Yes TB won the division but both really were tops and have either done anything to improve their team from the end of last season?

So how are the Reds, whom of all these teams listed have the lowest payroll after the Rays any different or expected to do more?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How many division winners have made moves

Good post, although I have a hard time putting any type of negative spin on the Phillies adding Cliff Lee to go along with Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels. That team is just loaded, and in my opinion they have more than enough offense to win a ton of games and be favorites to win the world series at this point.

Also, the Yankees tried to add Cliff Lee/Carl Crawford, and it just didn't work out, wasnt a lack of an attempt.

Finally, I think everyone would consider Boston a WS contender, they were banged up last year but will have Youk, Pedroia and some pitchers back, along with additions of Adrian Gonzalez, and Carl Crawford. I think they also signed Bobby Jenks.

I think the question is: Have the Division winners done enough to stay ahead of their competition? I don't think the Reds have. Renteria and Lewis are complementary pieces, not impact players.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I think the question is: Have the Division winners done enough to stay ahead of their competition? I don't think the Reds have. Renteria and Lewis are complementary pieces, not impact players.

Right on.

Comical how people try to defend this offseason of bargain bin moves.

I don't see how the Brewers or Cards caught the Reds this offseason.

The Brewers problem is run prevention and they addressed one aspect of that, starting pitching. Their bullpen and defense are still eh. They improved but their offense isn't better than ours, their defense isn't better than ours, and their pen isn't better than ours.

Did the Cards make drastic improvements? Sure they added a Reds killer, but he's old can't play defense and is obviously on the decline. They're better than they played last year so if they play to their potential the division will be very close.

The Reds are the ONLY team of the three that got better by getting a year older. We have the best offense and defense in the division along with far and away the deepest starting staff. We're also in the best position to go out and acquire help at the deadline if needed.

People tend to overreact when they don't see a big name acquisition and forget what we already have, a really really good baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Right on.

I find it comical that folks who have absolutely zero idea of:

1. The Reds actual income and expenses.
    2. The actual cost in terms of players/prospects demanded for X player in a trade.
    3. How to run a baseball team.

... still believe that they are smarter and more capable to make decisions on what is right for the Reds from their couch.

Walt and I have a deal you see... He is smart enough to leave the soldiering to me and I am smart enough to leave the GM-ing to him.

I have a few questions for those of you convinced that you are smarter than the Reds Owner, GM or manager...

1. Why do you feel that criticizing almost every move made or not made is a necessary part of being a fan?
    2. Have any one of you ever made yourself or anyone around you happier by the near constant criticism?
    3. How does it feel to always be right? You know what I mean... because the owner, general manager, manager, coach or one of the players will always be doing something that you don't agree with. When the Reds win, you can (and do)say its all because one or more of them did things the way you wanted... when they lose you can claim (and you do) that it was because one or more of them didnt do what you wanted. The one constant is that you are always right of course.

Not me... I am stupid enough to root for any player the Reds acquire, even if they are an old hasbeen, an unproven kid or a never was... Win the series or miss the playoffs, I am going to be wrong a lot rooting for and expecting the best for the Reds we have rather than the players we don't in each and every play of each and every game of each and every season...

I am ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Right on.

Vottomatic,

Complimentary players are what they needed. The impact player was slim as far as free agency and the Reds weren't going to be players for those guys anyway.

They have impact players in Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Rolen, Stubbs should be this year, Cueto, Chapman and of course we can't forget about the great Paul Janish.

There is still a lot to like about this Reds team.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post

2. The actual cost in terms of players/prospects demanded for X player in a trade.

... still believe that they are smarter and more capable to make decisions on what is right for the Reds from their couch.

Walt and I have a deal you see... He is smart enough to leave the soldiering to me and I am smart enough to leave the GM-ing to him.

I have a few questions for those of you convinced that you are smarter than the Reds Owner, GM or manager...

1. Why do you feel that criticizing almost every move made or not made is a necessary part of being a fan?
    2. Have any one of you ever made yourself or anyone around you happier by the near constant criticism?
    3. How does it feel to always be right? You know what I mean... because the owner, general manager, manager, coach or one of the players will always be doing something that you don't agree with. When the Reds win, you can (and do)say its all because one or more of them did things the way you wanted... when they lose you can claim (and you do) that it was because one or more of them didnt do what you wanted. The one constant is that you are always right of course.

Not me... I am stupid enough to root for any player the Reds acquire, even if they are an old hasbeen, an unproven kid or a never was... Win the series or miss the playoffs, I am going to be wrong a lot rooting for and expecting the best for the Reds we have rather than the players we don't in each and every play of each and every game of each and every season...

I am ok with that.

You're just making too much darn sense. I'm with you.

I am ok with that.
    Reds' fans should be sheeple. That was easy.

I am ok with that.
    You made my point. Comical.

the people that hate what the reds did must not think anyone will improve and everyone will stay the same.

no message

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Reds' fans should be sheeple. That was easy.
    No... I guess your point is that Reds fans should be the type of people that choose to live somewhere and then spend all day complaining about the local weather... that go see a movie and then spend the entire time in the theater complaining about it....

Interested that you imply that those who choose to root for a team are the "sheeple." A sheep bleats incessantly when it is bothered, even though this bleating has no effect on the source of the annoyance.

If you don't like the Reds, the Reds Management, or the Reds owner... then stop going to games or coming to this board... otherwise, some of us want to enjoy the show and your incessant (and entirely useless) bleating is distracting.

No... I guess your point is that Reds fans should be the type of people that choose to live somewhere and then spend all day complaining about the local weather... that go see a movie and then spend the entire time in the theater complaining about it....

Interested that you imply that those who choose to root for a team are the "sheeple." A sheep bleats incessantly when it is bothered, even though this bleating has no effect on the source of the annoyance.

If you don't like the Reds, the Reds Management, or the Reds owner... then stop going to games or coming to this board... otherwise, some of us want to enjoy the show and your incessant (and entirely useless) bleating is distracting.
    I like the Reds, but reserve the right to be critical about things I think they aren't doing well.

Please stop telling me and others to quit coming to this board. This board isn't just for the content people. It's for everyone.

Last edited by texasdave; 01-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Turn Off Ads?