Turn Off Ads?

Thread: JoPoz- Willie Mays HOF

JoPoz- Willie Mays HOF

Read all the way down and don't you DARE skip to the end.

I got ticked when he eliminated Bench, but just keep reading...

This certainly warrants its own thread. Enjoy.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JoPoz- Willie Mays HOF

Love this article... here's a great line

I don't know about you -- but I never saw Rogers Hornsby play. I take his greatness on faith, based on the remarkable statistics I've seen and the stories I've read and the research I've done. But more than 20% of the people who saw Hornsby play did not vote him into the Hall of Fame his FIFTH TIME ON THE BALLOT. Rogers is out. And, anyway, he apparently was a jerk.

Thanks for posting, that was a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I don't know about you -- but I never saw Rogers Hornsby play. I take his greatness on faith, based on the remarkable statistics I've seen and the stories I've read and the research I've done. But more than 20% of the people who saw Hornsby play did not vote him into the Hall of Fame his FIFTH TIME ON THE BALLOT. Rogers is out. And, anyway, he apparently was a jerk.
    Great line WOY.

I also loved the paragraph about what might have been for Feller and DiMaggio.

There is no question they were both great when they played and then they served our country with distinction during WWII--during which time they lost prime years of their careers. Had Feller pitched he might have won 100 more games. Had DiMaggio played he might have reached 3000 hits and won a total of five or six MVP awards. But we are dealing with the world of imagination now. They also might have gotten hurt and not been able to complete their careers. If we are to assume one thing what is to stop us from assuming the other?

Thanks 320.

Joe is HALLARIOUS!!!!!!!!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Love this one:

We hate to lose 'em -- this means we will not have a third baseman in our Hall. But you know, third base is kind of a minor position anyway. If they could play defense, they'd be shortstops, right?

I figured out where he was heading just past Johnny Bench, as he was ready to toss Honus Wagner overboard. Excellent post that, I think, gets around to putting the Hall of Fame into perspective.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Haunted by walks

Maybe we need a Foyer of Ultrafame. Something like the Players of the Century.

As I'm getting a lot of props for posting it, I should also mention that I found it on Redleg Nation. Chad and the team do a great job finding good baseball links there.

I'm ashamed to admit I never did get it. Even when it was just down to Mays I thought the joke was that Mays was the best player ever and only he could make it into the Willie Mays HOF. Turns out even he couldn't make it.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I figured out where he was heading just past Johnny Bench, as he was ready to toss Honus Wagner overboard. Excellent post that, I think, gets around to putting the Hall of Fame into perspective.
    Yea I thought the author was a complete loon till I figured the piece was basically satire.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yea I thought the author was a complete loon till I figured the piece was basically satire.
    Yeah, excellent piece. I laughed out loud...and I hadn't even had coffee yet.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Plus he only hit .424 once.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Plus he only hit .424 once.
    That lack of inconsistency is enough to rule him out.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That lack of inconsistency is enough to rule him out.
    And his OBP was only 83 points above his BA. Pfffft.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Joe Morgan, I stayed with you as long as I could. I really wanted you in there. But your No. 1 comp? Lou Whitaker? Do you know what Lou Whitaker did on his one Hall of Fame ballot? Sorry. Gone. ...
    It is NOT OK to besmirch Lou Whitaker, even in jest.

Apology not accepted, JoPoz.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?