Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego - trip advice needed

San Diego - trip advice needed

Heading out to San Diego early next month. Never been there before, so looking for some "must see / must do" types of things. It's a Wednesday through Sunday trip, so long enough to get the best sites checked off.

Mexico is out of the question. I'm not really a zoo person, despite the fact that I love animals. I always hear that this is one of the best. Is it worth spending half a day at the zoo and another half day at Sea World?

I'd like to take a tour of Petco, since I probably will never get to see an actual game there.

Any particular restaurants or beaches that I should check out? I don't swim, but love to drive or walk along the beaches just taking in some sun and the scenery. Any military exhibits worth while?

Went to San Francisco last May and the weather was a bit tricky. I'm guessing San Diego shouldn't be so bad? It looks like mid 60's in the norm for February. Considering I'm coming from Chicago, I'm thinking this will "feel" much warmer to me this time of year.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego - trip advice needed

I'd go to the Wild Animal Park out on Escondido instead of the zoo. I'm not a zoo guy either, but I've enjoyed it the couple of times I've been.

Not sure if you're a theatre guy or not, but the Old Globe in Balboa Park is probably the best regional theatre in the country. Outside of NYC, you're not likely to find higher quality theatrical productions. Several Tony Award winning shows actually opened at the Old Globe (i.e. Jersey Boys). I've seen several shows there and they've all been fantastic.

They also have an aviation at Balboa Park, but it's not as good as Wright Pat.

If you want great Mexican food, go to Old Town to a place called El Indio. It's nothin fancy, but the food is spectacular.

If you're near Petco, spend an evening in the Gas Light district. Lots of good restaurants. There's an awesome NY style pizza joint there, but I can't remember the name.

If you like beaches, go over to Coronado Island. It's a great drive, a cool place, and has great beaches. If you don't make it over there, head up to La Jolla (I was married there) for some great beaches. Heck, if you like pretty drives, just spend a few hours driving through La Jolla. It's a beautiful place.

My wife is born and raised there and we lived there for a short time. I'll ask her later if she has any recos.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-08-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

San Diego weather is much more predictable than San Francisco's but...it's been a tough year in SoCal and Feb. is usually the most unpredictable. You won't freeze but make sure you have a substantial jacket and some rain gear with you.

Go to:www.tripadvisor.com and put in San Diego, CA in the search. Click on Forums. Write your post but add the following details:

--dates you will be there

--where you are staying (if you know) or ask for suggestions if you don't already have reservations

--your lodging budget if you are still looking

--if you will or won't have a car

--things that you like to do (military museums, art museums, beaches, music, whatever)

--types of food/restaurants that you like. Posters there will be able to corresopond that to where you are staying, your mobility, etc.

You will also find a pretty comprehensive aggrigate of reviews of hotels. They have restaurant reviews there as well but, frankly, they are woefully lacking. For restaurant reviews go to either yelp or urban spoon.

Yeah, I'm there....you'll be able to figure it out.

A few of my thoughts:

Military---try the USS Midway Museum. Tour the ship. Very interesting.

La Jolla--beautiful town (actually a 'neighborhood' that is part of the City of San Diego). Park your car and walk the area. Very up-scale with a good sports bar or burger joint thrown in for good measure. Walk down to the cove where the seals lounge on the rocks. My fav restaurants there: Cody's for breakfast, Nine-Ten for lunch/dinner (or stop for a drink and the free, house made, multi-vegatable 'chips' that they serve in the bar--I could make a meal out of those all by themselves). Fav hotel: The Grande Colonial which is where Nine-Tem is located. If you like contemporary art, as I do, the main location of the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego is there (www.mcasd.com)

Gaslamp--as mentioned above a very interesting, fun area. Walk the area, you'll find tons of restaurants, a few dive bars, some good music venues and, of course, Petco Park. (If you go the the Padres board on MLB I think they list the tour schedule.) Fav hotels: Marriott Gaslamp and the 'W'. The Marriott has has a great bar on the roof which actually looks down into Petco and, amazingly enough, is actually close enough to follow the ball during the game (they also have a closed circut feed). The satellite location of mcasd is located nearby in the historic Santa Fe Railway building which is a prime, restored example of California Mission Architecture.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 01-09-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Sorry, ment to mention a couple other sites that might be helpful:

www.sandiego.org
    www.hellosandiego.com
    www.midway.org

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 01-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Do you golf? Head out to Torrey Pines and play golf. Its a little pricey ($125) but its a public course and the views rival that of Pebble Beach.

The Gas Light district is also pretty cool.

Rem corrected me, it's the Gas Lamp district, not Gas Light (I believe that's Clifton)..... an easy mistake to make.

It may be too cold, but La Jolla Cove is a pretty cool beach where there are usually lots of seals hanging out.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It may be too cold, but La Jolla Cove is a pretty cool....
    OK, that gave me a chuckle, intended or not.

There is a walk above the cove that gives you great views but if the wind is blowing off the ocean and/or it's raining it can get 'nippy'

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

It may be too cold, but La Jolla Cove is a pretty cool beach where there are usually lots of seals hanging out.
    They been trying to kick the sea lions out from there. The sea lions took over a kiddie pool area on the beach and don't want to give it back.
    Last edited by RBA; 01-10-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    They been trying to kick the sea lions out from there. They sea lions took over a kiddie pool area on the beach and don't want to give ti back.
    That's true. And the sea lions are a whole lot bigger than the kiddies. :

How are you liking Carlsbad, RBA?

Rem

Music fans might want to check out the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad.

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/

I only went for extra credit for a class I took on American History. It was okay to me, but if you are interested in the history of music in the United States, it is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    That's true. And the sea lions are a whole lot bigger than the kiddies. :

How are you liking Carlsbad, RBA?

Rem

I am living close to one of the lagoons in a early 1970's neighborhood. The yard is huge and there are public Tennis Courts real close (just back of the yard). You might know the area. It's off Kelly Drive. A lot tennis players frequent the courts. About 4 courts.

The house is not level. Looks like it is slowly sliding. Well, we are just renting. Would not buy the place if the owner put it up for sale. But a nice place to live until are kids get out of high school in a few years. Primarily we wanted to be near a good high school.

I checked mapquest and I generally know the area. I used to work the corporate aviation shows at Palomar Airport. I didn't know there were tennis courts back there. Thanks for the info. Might come in handy someday.

Looks like you're pretty close to DT Carlsbad. There was a good little Italian restaurant that I used to go to there. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name.

Nice area. Enjoy your time there. Should be a good neighborhood to raise kids.

Rem

Chicago Red:

I'm not sure if this matches up with your dates in SD but the Navy has announced the largest military flyover since WW II on 2/12/11.

Here's the link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ate-centennia/

Rem

CR:

Check this as well: http://www.midway.org/node/336

Rem

I hope you are renting a car. There is some public transportation, but it is not that great.

Turn Off Ads?