Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds will miss Rhodes and Cabrera

Reds will miss Rhodes and Cabrera

So says John Fay in this article.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...will-be-missed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds will miss Rhodes and Cabrera

John Fay has taken wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously the adage about "newspaper articles should be written at a 3rd grade level."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

the guys in the clubhouse will miss two guys they played with.

The Reds may not notice they are gone at all. I don't discount chemistry. I don't, however, attribute it to just two players. I don't believe for an instant that the team falls apart without them.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Rhodes is on the wrong side of the age curve and Cabrera was replaced by a guy with a resume that includes just as much "knows how to win" and postseason experience, etc.

Me thinks Mr. Fay needed to make a deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Fay said the Reds will miss the pair, he did not say they cannot be successful without him. It seems to me like Fay get nitpicked around here whenever he writes an article.

Did OCab and Rhodes play an important role in the clubhouse? Yes. Will those two be gone? Yes. So of course they will miss those two. He was dead on accurate as far as their season performance.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Fay said the Reds will miss the pair, he did not say they cannot be successful without him. It seems to me like Fay get nitpicked around here whenever he writes an article.

Did OCab and Rhodes play an important role in the clubhouse? Yes. Will those two be gone? Yes. So of course they will miss those two. He was dead on accurate as far as their season performance.
    Agree with every word.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

From 4/10 to 6/29 last year (33 appearances), Rhodes didn't allow a run. Nice streak. He was so-so after the break. Don't care much about Stark's chemistry angle. What we may miss more from Rhodes is his 2.29 ERA, 1.02 Whip, and 26 Holds.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Agree and I would add that if these guys were the clubhouse presences as described, then maybe things will not be that affected this year due to 2 things:

1) the arrival of Renteria, who Jocketty knows and hand picked as his 2011 Cabrera. If he wasn't able to fill that role, then I doubt he'd be here.

2) the winning season we just experienced. While a clubhouse guy can and will keep the clubhouse in check during the season, Cabrera and Rhodes also gav these guys a taste of "how to win", which they learned last year. Hopefully they won't need these presences as much this year. They still. Have Rolen, Arroyo and the reigning MVP.

Regarding Rhodes, I think they would likely be missing him even if he was resigned this season.

That isn't the implication of the article at all. In this case "miss" means "hard to replace" and "it will hurt the teams success".

Otherwise there is no point to the article. His opinion is pretty clear.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That isn't the implication of the article at all. In this case "miss" means "hard to replace" and "it will hurt the teams success".

I honestly do not see the implication you are speaking of at all. It simply seems like an off-season article to pass the time.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I think he is saying that they will be missed and the fallout could hurt the team's performance. But he also says that they added Renteria and that Jocketty often makes moves that keep in line with the team's chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    John Fay has taken wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously the adage about "newspaper articles should be written at a 3rd grade level."
    Actually, my Flesch-Kincaid analysis shows this article to be a 4.8 on the grade level readability scale. 3rd graders might have trouble with it.

Rhodes, yes. Cabrera, nooooooo.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I think you guys should let up on Fay. I don't see much wrong with it. It's a blog post.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think you guys should let up on Fay. I don't see much wrong with it. It's a blog post.
    It's an article. It does not appear on his blog. I think John's been twittering or texting too much, this article being evidence of that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?