Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #30 prospect?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

6 10.00%
  • Alex Buchholz

1 1.67%
  • Dan Corcino

20 33.33%
  • Matt Fairel

2 3.33%
  • Mark Fleury

11 18.33%
  • Jordan Hotchkiss

2 3.33%
  • Jake Johnson

2 3.33%
  • Matt Klinker

4 6.67%
  • Felix Perez

10 16.67%
  • Dan Tuttle

2 3.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #30 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #30 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Let me know if you want any of these names on the next poll:
    OF Dave Cook
    2B Jake Kahaulelio
    IF Brodie Greene
    OF Josh Fellhauer
    1B/OF Jaren Matthews
    SS Miguel Rojas
    IF Devin Lohman
    3B Dave Vidal
    OF Kyle Waldrop
    RHP Jerry Gil
    RHP Scott Carroll
    RHP Jeff Jeffords
    RHP Dallas Buck
    RHP Mark Serrano
    LHP Jeremy Horst
    RHP Clay Shunick
    RHP Justin Freeman
    LHP Mace Thurman
    RHP Chase Ware
    RHP Nick Christiani
    RHP Pedro Villarreal
    RHP Josh Ravin
    LHP Blaine Howell
    LHP Tanner Robles
    RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    RHP Tyler Cline
    LHP Mitch Clarke
    RHP Tony Amezcua
    Valiquette? Lefty with his velo is worth something and he's on the 40 man roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Valiquette? Lefty with his velo is worth something and he's on the 40 man roster.
    Yup! He'll be on the next poll.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Went with Fleury. LHH Catcher who showed good potential at the plate. Second half was much better than his first half which showed ability to make adjustments.
    Agree completely. I'm glad that the Fleury train is gaining speed. IMO he is a slightly better prospect than Corcino, but a way better prospect than Perez. Let's hope Fleury makes the leap in the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Agree completely. I'm glad that the Fleury train is gaining speed. IMO he is a slightly better prospect than Corcino, but a way better prospect than Perez. Let's hope Fleury makes the leap in the next poll.
    Yeah Fleury and Barnhart need to be voted in real soon.

As far as others go I really like how Brian Pearl profiles. I know Doug said something earlier about him being a power arm and I'm guessing he has some decent polish as well since he was a college draftee. It's been a while since I read up on him but as I recall I liked his potential ceiling and at this point ceiling really is a major difference maker.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah Fleury and Barnhart need to be voted in real soon.

As far as others go I really like how Brian Pearl profiles. I know Doug said something earlier about him being a power arm and I'm guessing he has some decent polish as well since he was a college draftee. It's been a while since I read up on him but as I recall I liked his potential ceiling and at this point ceiling really is a major difference maker.

I agree Mario. After Fleury is finally off the board, I am going with Barnhart. Obviously, Barnhart has the major advantage in age, but Fleury has had more professional success and is a lefty hitting catcher which was the reason I chose him slightly over Barnhart. Both of them are very intriguing prospects and I love that they will likely have time to develop their skills because of the presence of Mesoraco and Grandal. Very unlikely either of them will be rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Obviously, Barnhart has the major advantage in age, but Fleury has had more professional success and is a lefty hitting catcher which was the reason I chose him slightly over Barnhart.
    Is a lefty hitting catcher more valuable than a switch hitting catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I'd also have to question the success part of it. Fleury in two years of pro ball: 240/334/754. Barnhart in two years of pro ball: 277/376/722. Obviously, Fleury has shown more power. I suppose that's expected, seeing as how he's three years older (and bigger). But Barnhart has shown an edge in the hitting tool.

Fleury has played at a higher level (college and Dayton), but in Billings two years ago, at age 21, he went 198/224/665. At Billings last year, at age 19, Barnhart was 306/412/800. I really don't see that equating to more success for Fleury--whom I like, by the way. He did show a power spurt last year.

Of course, we haven't discussed the comparative defense. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I guess that's a pretty good point. By more success, I mean he has done it over a larger sample size. I honestly have Fleury 3a and Barnhart 3b in my rankings of Reds' catching prospects. I have both significantly higher in my personal rankings and I am very excited to follow both as prospects this coming year. I have only seen Fleury once and it was on TV during the College World Series after the Reds drafted him. I have never seen Barnhart, so I am really just going off the stats.

I went with Fleury, but only because of his dance moves
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'd also have to question the success part of it. Fleury in two years of pro ball: 240/334/754. Barnhart in two years of pro ball: 277/376/722. Obviously, Fleury has shown more power. I suppose that's expected, seeing as how he's three years older (and bigger). But Barnhart has shown an edge in the hitting tool.

Fleury has played at a higher level (college and Dayton), but in Billings two years ago, at age 21, he went 198/224/665. At Billings last year, at age 19, Barnhart was 306/412/800. I really don't see that equating to more success for Fleury--whom I like, by the way. He did show a power spurt last year.

Of course, we haven't discussed the comparative defense. Anybody know?
    I haven't seen alot of Fleury defensively but his initial scouting reports coming out of the draft seemed promising, in other words has the tools to be a good defender. Barnhart from the little I hear is as good or better defensively than anyone in the system. Additionally he seems to be the perfect example of a great teammate, kid has great intangibles and doggone good measureables to boot. His only real weakness is his size (like 5 foot 8 ) and power, but he is only 19 or 20 so maybe he fills out/up some more yet. The good news though is the kid is aware of it.

"My biggest strength as a player is my catching ability. I’m not the biggest guy and I really have to rely on my defensive ability to carry me places,” Barnhart said. “I try to maintain a ‘get after it’ mentality and not let anyone ever tell me that I can’t do something.”
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?