Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardinals WILL be tough

Re: Cardinals WILL be tough

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yes I did.

19 Xtra base hits in 640 PA.

That is beyond bad.
    Ryan has had 5.6% of his PAs go for XBH while Theriot has had 4.6% go for XBH. Color me unexcited by Ryan's power.

2. Turn Off Ads?

my hope for '11 is that the Reds repeat(of course) but in a heated race coming in a close 2nd is that Chris Carpenter comes crashing down to earth and becomes very mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    my hope for '11 is that the Reds repeat(of course) but in a heated race coming in a close 2nd is that Chris Carpenter comes crashing down to earth and becomes very mediocre.
    I got this one guys...

But how will explaint that to his son?

Carpenter will be 36 most of next season and has a pretty extreme injury history.

Garcia could be susceptible to the Verducci Effect, as his jump in innings was massive in 2010.

That said, St. Louis should hit when everyone's healthy. Schumaker should hit better and Theriot should hit better than Ryan as well. Freese could really shine as the sixth hitter in that lineup. (Behind Rasmus, Pujols, Halladay, and Berkman, he could very well knock in 120 runs with a mediocre year. He could very well go 300/20/120 with little problem. As a sixth place hitter.)

But, defensively, only catcher and perhaps 1B are above league average.

It'll be interesting to see anyway.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Put the ball in play..........watch it fall. Their OF defense will be absolutely atrocious. Garcia regresses, Carpenter ages........Cards finish third. Behind the Reds and Milwaukee.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Ryan has had 5.6% of his PAs go for XBH while Theriot has had 4.6% go for XBH. Color me unexcited by Ryan's power.
    Considering that Theriot's claim to fame over Ryan is that he carries a much better stick, being about 22% BEHIND Ryan in XBH is nothing to crow about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Freese could really shine as the sixth hitter in that lineup. (Behind Rasmus, Pujols, Halladay, and Berkman, he could very well knock in 120 runs with a mediocre year. He could very well go 300/20/120 with little problem. As a sixth place hitter.)
    Name one hitter in the history of baseball that has ever knocked in 120 runs in a season batting 6th with a mediocre year?

Firstly, hitting behind Pujols, Holliday and Brkman will likely leavefew guys on base, as they may well be cleaned up by the time he gets to bat.

Secondly, Joey Votto knocked in 113 runs hitting third in the NL's best lineup with 37 HR's and a .324 BA. And you expect Freese to knock in 120 runs hitting 6th with a mediocre year? Which would be more than any player in the NL got last year.

Thirdly, Freese is coming off of a very serious injury and his health is questionable. Plus he's had very little success in the majors, and at age 28 isn't likely to pull a Ludwick. FWIW, Scot Rolen got more than 110 RBI's once in his career. And he was batting cleanup.

Even FCB wouldn't make such an outlandish claim about a team he so dearly loves.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 01-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Considering that Theriot's claim to fame over Ryan is that he carries a much better stick, being about 22% BEHIND Ryan in XBH is nothing to crow about.
    Theriot's career OPS is 50 points higher.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Theriot's career OPS is 50 points higher.

Not a lot when Ryan carries a superb glove and Theriot's range is very below average. And Theriot's worse year with the stick was last year, and he's seldolm hit much outside of Wrigley Field. Ryan is also young enough that he might just get better.

I'd take Ryan over Theriot any day of the week, and the fact that he's about half his cost is nothing to sneeze at either.

Not a lot when Ryan carries a superb glove and Theriot's range is very below average. And Theriot's worse year with the stick was last year, and he's seldolm hit much outside of Wrigley Field. Ryan is also young enough that he might just get better.

I'd take Ryan over Theriot any day of the week, and the fact that he's about half his cost is nothing to sneeze at either.
    Ryan is really not that much younger than Theriot. Theriot's defense over his career has been at least league average, maybe a tick above. And his stick, for the position, has also been at least a tick above average.

Even with Ryan's superior glove last year, he was still only 1 WAR. Better than Theriot last year, for sure.

Ryan has a good 2009 to his name and that's about it.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 01-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Yes, the Cardinals always seem to put a quality team out there, but depth is still an issue. I'm more worried about the Brewers after their off season. The Cubs will be around too. The central (except for Pitt) should be a nice division this year. Pitt has those scrapy guys and will get hot and cold - lets just hope we get more of the cold when we play them.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Yes I did.

19 Xtra base hits in 640 PA.

That is beyond bad.
    4th worst in SLG with 500 or more PAs.

Izturis, Andrus and Figgins beat him out.

Turn Off Ads?