Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schmidt wants to remove BBWAA from HOF Voting

Schmidt wants to remove BBWAA from HOF Voting

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scmidt wants to remove BBWAA from HOF Voting

I don't know whose ideas on HOF voting are worse, Schmidt's or McCoy's. :thumbdown
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Is it common for writers to write about themselves in the 3rd person as McCoy does in that article/post. Just seemed odd.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is it common for writers to write about themselves in the 3rd person as McCoy does in that article/post. Just seemed odd.
    I think, in reading that, the first three paragraphs were meant to be a separate entry on the blog and somehow was included in the Scmidt piece. It seems like they were to be writte as separate pieces, but no one caught the mistake.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think, in reading that, the first three paragraphs were meant to be a separate entry on the blog and somehow was included in the Scmidt piece. It seems like they were to be writte as separate pieces, but no one caught the mistake.
    Probably seemed strange to me since McCoy often inserts himself into his stories, in the first person though.

Probably seemed strange to me since McCoy often inserts himself into his stories, in the first person though.
    Does he have an editor? Sometimes editors will include notes such as that in the natural third person, so it would make sense given his inclusion of "I" to speak about himself in the story.

It seems like someone perhaps inserted the first three grafs as a note on McCoy's accomplishments, but didn't put any special emphasis or separation on it to distinguish being apart from the entry.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

top6 agrees with you. top6 thinks it's pretty odd.

i don't think Schmidt is way off at all...maybe he's going to the extreme with his thoughts but imo the system is kinda outdated. McCoy makes the argument that players would vote for buddies or not vote for people they don't like but that's so hypocritical in general. You think writers don't hold past "occurances" against the players? An untimely snub here, a hateful glare there and all of a sudden a player has lost a vote for life(or at least for alot of their 15 year ballot life).

Bud should form a committee(which he is marvelous at)to amend this process. I realize MLB supposedly has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame(a seperate entity)but I'm sure they would heed the recommendation of Bud's crew. Some combo of writers, hall members, and maybe even a collection of other in the know baseball types(announcers, executives, etc..)would probably be a more fair test....no fan influence please(past all-star votes should eliminate us all from consideration).

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I could only support what Schmidt is suggesting if there was a minimum number of people who had to be elected each year. Otherwise, you're going to see a whole lot of what Schmidt described -- players keeping it ever more exclusive to protect their own legacy.

Even then, I imagine the player voters would place an inordinate amount of value on those things which players see within their control -- attitude and effort.

You know what would be a fun exercise? Give each constituency their on vote -- media, players/coaches, fans. You only get elected if you make it on 2 of the 3 ballots. Or maybe you get in if ANY of the 3 choose you.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

You know what would be a fun exercise? Give each constituency their on vote -- media, players/coaches, fans. You only get elected if you make it on 2 of the 3 ballots. Or maybe you get in if ANY of the 3 choose you.
    if the fans had a vote you might as well go ahead and make a bust for every RedSox and Yankee player...well except for A.J. Burnett

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I don't know whose ideas on HOF voting are worse, Schmidt's or McCoy's. :thumbdown
    Sad but true.

I doubt we can trust the Players with the vote and I'm pretty sure we couldn't trust the Broadcasters. We sure don't want the fans to vote.

I do believe the BBWAA have put more thought and research into their balotts the past few years.(thanks to that organizations newest members)

Other than that I'm not sure what else to say.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-11-2011 at 02:48 AM.

If Hal McCoy's "solution" had been in effect, he could now be writing a column lamenting that Barry Larkin had not been elected in his only two years on the ballot.
    Tony Perez would not be in the Hall of Fame.
    Other than Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra is perhaps the greatest catcher of all time, but he wasn't elected in his first two years on the ballot, so he wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame either.
    Eddie Matthews wouldn't be in the HOF. Duke Snider wouldn't be in the HOF.

The Hardball Times has pointed out that one BBWAA voter, Barry Stanton, only voted for five players in this year's ballot: Jack Morris, B.J. Surhoff, Don Mattingly, and the Martinez duo of Tino and Edgar. He didn't vote for Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven, Barry Larkin, Jeff Bagwell, etc.
    In his 1994 book on the Hall of Fame, "The Politics of Glory," Bill James advocated a revised voting procedure whereby five different groups would be able to nominate and then ratify the nomination of HOF candidates: The media, the fans, the players, baseball executives and other professionals, and baseball scholars. Four of the five groups would have to approve of the induction of a player in order for him to make the HOF.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Leave it as it is. Nothing is perfect. I'd have to say the HoF selections are pretty good and hard to argue. There are not that many questionable selections IMO.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Haunted by walks

Why not just let Bill James pick them?

Turn Off Ads?