Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Reds Sign Fred Lewis

1 year, $900k. Great signing, IMO.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...medium=twitter

Reds Sign Fred Lewis
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10, 2011 at 4:43pm CST]
    The Reds announced that they signed Fred Lewis to a one-year deal (Twitter link). It's a $900K major league deal, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon (on Twitter). The team also officially announced its one-year deal with Edgar Renteria.

Until last week, Jay Bruce was the lone left-handed hitter in the Reds' outfield. Drew Stubbs, Jonny Gomes and Chris Heisey all bat from the right side, so the team signed Jeremy Hermida and Lewis, two left-handed hitters.

Lewis, 30, hit .262/.332/.414 in 480 plate appearances for the Blue Jays after they acquired him from the Giants early in the season. Though he mostly played left field, Lewis did play some center and right in 2010. He contributed 31 doubles and 17 steals, mostly as Toronto's leadoff hitter, before the Blue Jays cut ties with him at last month's non-tender deadline.

The signing presumably eliminates the possibility that the Reds sign Scott Podsednik.
    I wonder, does Hermida sign if Lewis had signed first?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds sign Fred Lewis

It is now complete.

Re: Reds sign Fred Lewis

Rick beat me. Shut it down mods. I sat on it for 3 minutes knowing this would happen.

Re: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Sweet fancy Moses. I like it!

Not a game-changer, but an upgrade and on the cheap at that. He's a guy that gets on base better than average and won't hurt the Reds defensively. Decent leadoff option. I like this. Not a ton of upside, but definitely not much downside either.
    Last edited by Brutus; 01-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

For 900K, that's awesome!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I'm guessing he's the primary starter vR and will leadoff when he plays. Then Stubbs/Phillips can leadoff vL.

Fangraphs has him at league average in LF defensively for his career. Fan Scounting Report is less generous, giving him decent range but a crap arm.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Maybe Lewis and Gomes will make a nice 2 Headed Monster in LF for a cool 3 Million.

Like this move a lot. Gives the Reds balance in their lineup and probably takes away a ton of at bats from Gomes.. Can't argue at all with this.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Hats off to Walt. This makes us front-runners in the division again. Our bench has improved a lot with RR/SoftJ and Gomes on it.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Less Gomes vs. RHP, and very cheap. I'm guessing it's going to be him and Renteria hitting 1-2 in front of Votto.

Do we have any idea why his walk rate dipped last year? I'd love to see him post his OBP #'s from his SF era:

2007: .374
    2008: .351
    2009: .348

Bill James projecting him at a .353 OBP and a .338 wOBA. I can get behind this, assuming his defense is league average or better, and the decline in his numbers isn't indicative of an actual decline.

Re: Reds sign Fred Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It is now complete.
    Yep. We can probably pass judgement on the offseason now cuz I doubt there's anymore moves on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Hats off to Walt. This makes us front-runners in the division again. Our bench has improved a lot with RR/SoftJ and Gomes on it.

No team signs Fred Lewis and BECOMES the front runner in their division.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Less Gomes vs. RHP, and very cheap. I'm guessing it's going to be him and Renteria hitting 1-2 in front of Votto.

Do we have any idea why his walk rate dipped last year? I'd love to see him post his OBP #'s from his SF era:

Bill James projecting him at a .353 OBP and a .338 wOBA. I can get behind this, assuming his defense is league average or better, and the decline in his numbers isn't indicative of an actual decline.
    I don't know if this is the reason, but Toronto coaching staff has advocating a swing hard philosophy. They may have encouraged a more aggressive approach. Though we're only talking about something like 8-10 walks. Could be a bit of random variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

I'd say this is probably the case unless they are true to their word and Renteria is a backup in which case I suspect it'll be Lewis and BP at the top. But yes fantastic move and got him a whole lot cheaper than I thought.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Nice pickup for the Reds! I'm on board for sure.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?