Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Re: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

2011 would have been his first year of arb eligibility. Does that mean we've got him for 2 more arb-eliglble years after this?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Nice. The final piece of the puzzle. Walt said he was looking for a leadoff hitter/LF -- I knew he wasn't going to stand pat after saying that publicly.

I can dig this. Maybe that Walt guy hasn't been asleep all winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Not a bad signing, low risk and likely to provide value. If he lives up to the RZ hype, he'll be gold.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I can dig this. Maybe that Walt guy hasn't been asleep all winter.
    I called him Mr January a week ago, maybe that name isn't that off?

Solid, solid signing.

FWIW, Jays fans on MLBTradeRumors are glad to be rid of him, claiming he's a diva who whined for more playing time.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    FWIW, Jays fans on MLBTradeRumors are glad to be rid of him, claiming he's a diva who whined for more playing time.
    If he plays well enough to beat out Hermida for the left-handed portion of the left field plattoon in Spring Training, he should be getting plenty of playing time vs right-handed starters.

1) Lewis fits the Reds need for a LH hitting outfielder who could fit in the budget. He also comes cheaper than I would have thought. I expected the team to have to pay $2M considering the Ms offered Nix $1.5M and Podsednik turned down a $1.75M option from the Dodgers.
    2) I liked the Renteria signing as well. $2M base salary & incentives. I liked bringing Ramon back fairly cheaply. Gomes can provide $1.8M worth of value if used properly. Even Cairo was too good to pass up for $1M/year for 2 years. Willis & Hermida were fine minor league signings. All in all Walt has done a fine job this offseason bringing in cheap talent to the 25 man roster. It allows him to keep guys at AAA that he feels need more developmental time. If they actually do then its good not to rush them to the bigs.
    3) however, i am still disappointed with the approach this offseason (as well as at last years trade dealine). i suspect the payroll is limiting Walt's options a lot. as an example the As traded lower grade prospects for DeJesus & Willingham. Both are better than what the Reds ended up with. however, the Reds payroll wouldn't allow them to add a 2.5 WAR player that cost $6M in salary. is that Walt's fault? no. its the owners.

I'm not sold. I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I'm not sold. I hope I am wrong.
    Sold on?

any signing that forces Gomes to the bench when ANY RH pitcher is on the hill is a good thing. Now if only Heisey can force him into another uniform...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Sold on?
    Fred Lewis as a platoon partner with Gomes.

Maybe he'll go all George Foster or something. Personally, I wish they would have addressed the left field situation in a bigger way. I could have lived with Janish at short if they would have picked up a better option in left. Lewis will have to prove it on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Fred Lewis as a platoon partner with Gomes.
    But what does that mean? That he won't be used that way? That he won't be successful in that role (defined as performing at his historical level)? That he will perform as he has but that he won't provide much additional value?

Turn Off Ads?