Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Re: Reds Sign Fred Lewis

Gosh, when Hermida had that nice 2007 in Florida, he had Uggla, Miggy Cabrera, and Hanley Ramirez in the lineup. Replace that with Phillips, Bruce, Votto, and a short porch in RF in GABP could be the RX to Hermida.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Meh. At least it wasn't Posednik and getting it done for less than a Million is certainly a good thing. I personally don't like weakening another corner, but better production at the top of the order could certainly help the offense.

Anything less than a .350 OBP is probably a fail, IMO. He at least needs to get on base at a higher clip than Stubbs, Renteria and Phillips. Maybe platooning the leadoff spot (Lewis v. RH/Stubbs v. LH) could lead to a decent bump at the top of the order. We can hope.

I still thing this lineup needs to add a middle of the order from outside of the organization, but clearly resources are just not there. Here's hoping for a bump in attendance and possible change to that situation come the trade deadline (or sooner).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-10-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'll be surprised if Gomes, Heisey, Lewis and Hermedia are all on the Reds opening day roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomes as the odd man out.
    I put the odds of Gomes missing the final roster (barring injury) at less than 0%.

I mean, he's got a bobblehead day scheduled...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The two cheap outfielders I advocated signing were Lewis and Hermida, so yeah, I'm satisfied with this. Not jumping-up-and-down-happy, but satisfied. Lewis is a servicable guy who can contribute to wins. Hermida, I think, is still a possible breakout. I would've loved a big power guy, but it's been pretty clear that wasn't going to happen, so I think this move improves the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    The two cheap outfielders I advocated signing were Lewis and Hermida, so yeah, I'm satisfied with this. Not jumping-up-and-down-happy, but satisfied. Lewis is a servicable guy who can contribute to wins. Hermida, I think, is still a possible breakout. I would've loved a big power guy, but it's been pretty clear that wasn't going to happen, so I think this move improves the team.
    A player who hits 15 HRs a year and gets into the good environment of the Reds/the good lineup of the Reds /the dimensions of GABP can become a "power guy" IMO. It's smart to pay less for the guys who hit 10-15 HRs who have the potential to become 20-25 HR guys on the Reds. Why pay huge dollars for a guy who hits the ball 425 feet all the time? You don't need that to hit it out of the Reds ballpark. I like the moves Walt is making the best moves under the circumstances...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    This move's fine but it does make the Hermida move a little hard to understand if Heisey really fits in the plans.
    I don't think the Hermida signing has anything to do with anything quite yet. He's a reclamation project. He needs to rake at Louisville for awhile before he rates a discussion of who he'll bump from the 25-man in Cincinnati. Just my opinion, of course.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Good.

I'd much rather have Lewis at his age/price than Podsednik at his age/price.

I still have faith in Heisey and Sappelt though.

So, if I understand it, Lewis and Renteria signed big league deals. That puts the 40 man roster at 41. Who goes? Danny Rae gets my vote.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Excellent move! This and adding Hermidia pleases me a lot. Low cost players with up sides are a delicious treat. Walt I applaud your efforts.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, if I understand it, Lewis and Renteria signed big league deals. That puts the 40 man roster at 41. Who goes? Danny Rae gets my vote.
    I just counted and it's right at 40 players. Don't see any mention under transactions of anyone being dropped.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I just counted and it's right at 40 players. Don't see any mention under transactions of anyone being dropped.
    Lewis is the 40th. No moves need to be made atm.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not a bad signing, low risk and likely to provide value. If he lives up to the RZ hype, he'll be gold.
    Just a pre-emptive rebut here to the inevitable disappointment when the guy doesn't set the world on fire. The expectations from those who like him are that he is a solid option with the potential for a better than normal year by his standards, lets not get carried away with the hyperbole. Besides Walt Jocketty signed him so he must be awesome right?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Chris Dickerson with less defense and a little more consistency on offense. Good move for 900K. Lewis is not a very good defender, but he is capable of filling the lead-off role. If this pushes Stubbs to a power spot, I wonder if Gomes might be moved leaving the platoon to lead-off types Lewis and Heisey (and maybe Sappelt down the road).

I'd still like to see Hermida make the team somehow, but can't see how unless Gomes is moved. I also think Heisey may be in danger of being optioned if he has a poor spring.
    Just curious as to how you come to this conclusion? And is "very good" in your terms mean he just isn't Carl Crawford in LF? Because to be fair you have a really high standard when it comes to defenders IMO. He has to be better than Gomes and by alot I would think. As far as LF's go I can't imagine how he couldn't be in the upper echelon of them.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-11-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Meh. At least it wasn't Posednik and getting it done for less than a Million is certainly a good thing. I personally don't like weakening another corner, but better production at the top of the order could certainly help the offense.

Anything less than a .350 OBP is probably a fail, IMO. He at least needs to get on base at a higher clip than Stubbs, Renteria and Phillips. Maybe platooning the leadoff spot (Lewis v. RH/Stubbs v. LH) could lead to a decent bump at the top of the order. We can hope.

I still thing this lineup needs to add a middle of the order
    from outside of the organization, but clearly resources are just not there. Here's hoping for a bump in attendance and possible change to that situation come the trade deadline (or sooner).
    No doubt about it the biggest problem we are gonna have is teams walking Joey to get to Rolen (and whoever else). Rolen is a solid guy in these instances but when he struggles the Reds will (which could be more and more now) and then there is the times he isn't in the lineup at all. And now we likely have our LF (hoping it's a Lewis Heisey split frankly) so now we would have to get that pop from SS, Hanley Ramirez is about it there.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.

--Woody Hayes

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't think the Hermida signing has anything to do with anything quite yet. He's a reclamation project. He needs to rake at Louisville for awhile before he rates a discussion of who he'll bump from the 25-man in Cincinnati. Just my opinion, of course.
    Completely agree, IslandRed. Hermida has an uphill battle to make the 25 man roster. The only way he makes the Opening Day Roster, IMO, is if Lewis or Bruce get hurt in Spring Training. He will need to rake for a while in AAA for him to get the call. BTW, this signing is also a major boon to Lousiville. Their starters are now likely C Mesoraco, 1B Alonso, 2B Valaika, SS Cozart, 3B Francisco, LF Hermida, CF Sappelt, RF Barton. If Leake and Chapman start out in that rotation with Maloney like I want them to, that team could take 3 of 10 from the Pirates. That's some solid depth and that cannot be discounted.

Turn Off Ads?