Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Off Season Officially "DONE"

Reds Off Season Officially "DONE"

"I think I'm done," said Reds GM Walt Jocketty to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. "[Today's Fred Lewis and Edgar Renteria signings] are a couple of pieces we felt we needed."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ls-padres.html

That's it...

Way to go Walt... See ya on Opening Day

I am disgusted. A season full of Hope & Optimism has been befallen by an offseason of bareness and desolate Management.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds Off Season Officially "DONE"

That's some smart decision-making regarding telling the public you're "done" wheeling and dealing when many Reds fans have newfound doubts about next season.

Good job Walt. We were all counting on you and you let us down.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That's some smart decision-making regarding telling the public you're "done" wheeling and dealing when many Reds fans have newfound doubts about next season.

Good job Walt. We were all counting on you and you let us down.
    Lets face it, Cincy hasn't had good ownership since Marge Schott before she went senile. Piss on you Jocketty and Castenelli.

You guys dont know **** about baseball.

It's amazing that you guys are disappointed that he only made two changes. We aren't that last place team every year that needs to sell their whole team to compete, nor do we need to spend $200mil to compete, we can win with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Votto4MVP View Post
    You guys dont know **** about baseball.
    Yeah, well good retort... Why aren't you on Pardon the Interuption?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    It's amazing that you guys are disappointed that he only made two changes. We aren't that last place team every year that needs to sell their whole team to compete, nor do we need to spend $200mil to compete, we can win with what we have.
    Lets see, what did we win with last year...

No legit leadoff hitter-PROBLEM this year
    Johnny Gomes with a career 6 WEEKS, not year-PROBLEM this year
    Scott Rolen-played back to form till All-Star break, then ran out of gas-PROBLEM for this year
    Ramon Hernandez is not a great hitter-PROBLEM for this year
    Not a legit everyday SS (even though I wish it was Janish)-PROBLEM for this year

Lets face it, we had everything go our way last year until we fell back to earth after the All Star Break, got hot for a while in August, and then backed into the playoffs not only to be swept, but to be no-f'n-hit. Stupid owners should have seen this team wasn't ready or complete but because of luck and a down year in the NL Central we won, but we didn't really beat anyone good, we just beat on the weaker teams, I'm not beating my chest yet because I really don't think we are that good, we could be with a legit leadoff hitter and another big bat but at that this rate I say this team wins 86 ballgames this year, pathetic.

As it stands, this team is going to be good for years to come. I swear, some of you would rather go all-out once a decade, Marlins-style and dismantle the best team we've had in 10-15 years. So many other small market teams would trade rosters in a second.

Walt's quiet off season is a testament to how good a job he's done here. I doubt we would have made the playoffs last year without him.

Have faith Reds nation. You guys have one of the best GM's in baseball. If his pattern held true to that of what he did while with the Cardinals, he will probably make a big move towards the trade deadline. I remember many times where Walt didn't do anything in the offseason but made a huge splash as the season went along. The Reds will be able to compete so it might be smart to have a wait and see attitude depending on the clubs needs. I wouldn't worry. Step off the ledge and put the rope away.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I understand it is difficult to judge a GM's moves because none of us know what kind of budget he is working with, what players are available etc. Having said that, I have never understood the "wait until the tradeline" mentality. If a player can help you for two months it would seem logical that he can help you even more having him for the entire season.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I understand it is difficult to judge a GM's moves because none of us know what kind of budget he is working with, what players are available etc. Having said that, I have never understood the "wait until the tradeline" mentality. If a player can help you for two months it would seem logical that he can help you even more having him for the entire season.
    Mmmm, they usually cost a lot less in prospects from your system, when you are essentially "renting" for the final sprint.

The fact that people still doubt Walt Jocketty amazes me...

Walt had two options this offseason:

1) Risk everything in the farm to acquire talent like Greinke, etc and sign risky long term contracts

or

2) Take one of the top farm systems that also have major league talent and solidfy it with veterans like Fred Lewis, Edgar Renteria and Jeremy Hermida...sound much like last year? Renteria > Cabrera. So basically we lost Rhodes who is being replaced by some guy named Aroldis Chapman.

Walt made the low risk decision and I think it should pay off...getting these kids out there will secure our future for a long time rather than risking it with "flashy" moves...we are still in position to make a big move via trade before the deadline if Walt feels like it's necessary..the moves he's made this offseason give him more wiggle room in season...I love it.
    Last edited by NorrisHopper30; 01-11-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    The fact that people still doubt Walt Jocketty amazes me...

Walt had two options this offseason:

1) Risk everything in the farm to acquire talent like Greinke, etc and sign risky long term contracts

or

2) Take one of the top farm systems that also have major league talent and solidfy it with veterans like Fred Lewis, Edgar Renteria and Jeremy Hermida...sound much like last year? Renteria > Cabrera. So basically we lost Rhodes who is being replaced by some guy named Aroldis Chapman.

Walt made the low risk decision and I think it should pay off...getting these kids out there will secure our future for a long time rather than risking it with "flashy" moves...we are still in position to make a big move via trade before the deadline if Walt feels like it's necessary..the moves he's made this offseason give him more wiggle room in season...I love it.
    If they let Fred Lewis Play everyday, that move will probably pan out and he will be productive... Other than that... These Stop Gaps, and the Lewis signing was a Stop Gap - are very frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I am disgusted. A season full of Hope & Optimism has been befallen by an offseason of bareness and desolate Management.
    Shameful, I say. No Jeter, no Greinke, no Reggie Jackson, no Honus Wagner, no Abner Doubleday... Jocketty totally let us down.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    If they let Fred Lewis Play everyday, that move will probably pan out and he will be productive... Other than that... These Stop Gaps, and the Lewis signing was a Stop Gap - are very frustrating...
    Not really sure how one could be "frustrated", as this team is oozing with talent under the age of 26 and just replaced veterans with upgraded veterans as far as I'm concerned...to each his own.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Turn Off Ads?