Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Study on Grief and Male College Students

Study on Grief and Male College Students

Hello everyone,

It's been quite awhile since I've posted here, but five year graduate school programs tend to keep their students pretty busy. : If this isn't an appropriate post according to forum rules, I apologize, but I am posting to ask for assistance, as I am conducting a survey on the effects of grief on male college students. My study will examine reactions in both athletes and non-athletes. If you know of a college male, age 18 or older, who has experienced the death of a family member or close friend in the past year, I would appreciate it if you could send the link to my survey to this individual. If you are in contact with anyone affiliated with college athletics or university students in general, passing the link to such individuals would also be helpful in spreading the word about my study.

I am so close to being Dr. Super_Barry11, and other than completing my pre-doctoral internship, which ends this July, all I have left is my dissertation! Your help in gathering participants for my study is greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to send me a message. Thank you very much!

Here is the link for my study’s survey-

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GriefStudy
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Study on Grief and Male College Students

Hey SuperBarry nice to see you around again. And congrats on your soon to be new job title.

As for your survey I have a question. Male college students who have dealt with a loss in this past year and/or males of that age group who have dealt with such a tragedy at any point regardless of whether or not they were in college? I know what you said but I guess I'm just wondering if what you are trying to get at isn't just how a male of that age deals with such a trauma? Sorry to be presumptuos.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-12-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hi SuperBerry!

I also just wanted to say that it's nice to hear from you again and it's great that you've made such large strides. Time goes by so quickly, doesn't it?

I see that you are now listing Walnut Creek as your location. Really nice area. I hope you are enjoying it.

My university has already celebrated their 40th Anniversary 'We Got Rid of Remdog Day' so I can't really help you there but good luck with your project.

Rem

Hi Mario-Rijo, thanks for the congrats! I am excited to be almost over this hurdle! And as for your question, no need to apologize at all- it's a good question! One of my areas of interest in psychology is sport psychology, and my career aspiration is to work in a college counseling center, which led me to select college athletes as my target population. I wanted to focus on males specifically because I began my dissertation work in January of 2009, a few months after Joey Votto's father passed away, and I had been thinking about his grief reactions and those of men in general, as most studies focus on female grief reactions (mainly widows in the older population). I wanted to learn more about how a young male balancing the responsibilities of college and varsity athletics manages grief reactions and guilt. I needed a control group with which to compare the male athletes, so I chose male college students (non-athletes) because of the similiarities in their lives and responsibilities outside of athletics. I wanted to keep the differences of the two groups to a minimum, so that's why I'm excluding males of college age who are not enrolled in university. Hopefully what I'm trying to say is making sense- I'm in the middle of a crazy work day! : If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hi Remdog! Thanks for your message! I should probably change my location on here, as I recently moved down to Orange County for my pre-doc internship. However, I did live in Walnut Creek for four years as I obtained my master's degree and completed all of my classes for my doctorate. I really loved that area, and my fiance and I are thinking about settling down there after the wedding. I like Orange County as well, so I've really been lucky in finding fun places to live!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11 View Post
    Hi Mario-Rijo, thanks for the congrats! I am excited to be almost over this hurdle! And as for your question, no need to apologize at all- it's a good question! One of my areas of interest in psychology is sport psychology, and my career aspiration is to work in a college counseling center, which led me to select college athletes as my target population. I wanted to focus on males specifically because I began my dissertation work in January of 2009, a few months after Joey Votto's father passed away, and I had been thinking about his grief reactions and those of men in general, as most studies focus on female grief reactions (mainly widows in the older population). I wanted to learn more about how a young male balancing the responsibilities of college and varsity athletics manages grief reactions and guilt. I needed a control group with which to compare the male athletes, so I chose male college students (non-athletes) because of the similiarities in their lives and responsibilities outside of athletics. I wanted to keep the differences of the two groups to a minimum, so that's why I'm excluding males of college age who are not enrolled in university. Hopefully what I'm trying to say is making sense- I'm in the middle of a crazy work day! : If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hi Remdog! Thanks for your message! I should probably change my location on here, as I recently moved down to Orange County for my pre-doc internship. However, I did live in Walnut Creek for four years as I obtained my master's degree and completed all of my classes for my doctorate. I really loved that area, and my fiance and I are thinking about settling down there after the wedding. I like Orange County as well, so I've really been lucky in finding fun places to live!
    Sure, makes a world of sense. Good luck with everything SB!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Great to see you SB!!

You had 10 good years here in which you could have studied fan grief. But that's all over now!!!!!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Good to hear from you SB!

How about a study on Parental Grief and the Female College Student?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

A belated wlecome to 'The OC'! Seems like were just talking about Pleasant Hill a few months ago.

I've been here more than 17 years and it's been great. I hope you like it as well.

Seems to me that there is a pretty active softball program in Irvine---just in case you get the urge.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?