Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Podcasts

Recommended Podcasts

Work has recently decided we can't use radios at our desk [noise pollution], so I've decided to try the podcast route. To that end, what podcasts do you folks recommend?

Obviously I'm a sports guy so I don't mind sports talk, but I also have an affinity for the horror genre, sci-fi [Ray Bradbury is my favorite author], and lots of other things.

Not a political guy really, so you can keep those.

Well Redszone, whatd'ya got?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Recommended Podcasts

Comedy Death Ray is one of my favorites overall.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/comedy-d...scott-aukerman

Baseball Prospectus' Up and In is my favorite baseball one. It's also super-long- like two hours-plus per week.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/blog/podcast/

Sound Opinions for music:

http://www.soundopinions.org/

Subscribe in iTunes to any of these as well.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If you like consumer news and tips on how to save money, Clark Howard provides free access to the archives of his show as a podcast. It takes about 40 minutes to listen to each hour this way.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/s/podcast/clarkshow/

The Ricky Gervais Show.. Comedy gold.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Two late twenty-somthings talking about nothing in particular in a spectacularly funny way. If you are between 24-34, it's great!

The Complete Guide to Everything.

The only "must" that I listen to is the B.S. Report. I usually listen daily to the PTI podcast as I'm never home from work in time to watch it. Rich Eisen podcast is pretty solid, but it's only once a week. I like the ESPN "Behind the Bets" podcast, and if I get really bored, I'll do NFL today, Fantasy Focus, Dan Patrick Show, Scott Van Pelt show, Freakonomics, The Economist, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The only "must" that I listen to is the B.S. Report. I usually listen daily to the PTI podcast as I'm never home from work in time to watch it. Rich Eisen podcast is pretty solid, but it's only once a week. I like the ESPN "Behind the Bets" podcast, and if I get really bored, I'll do NFL today, Fantasy Focus, Dan Patrick Show, Scott Van Pelt show, Freakonomics, The Economist, etc.
    Yeah, the BS Report is solid.

Cool thread idea.

I'm confused about how you will not create "noise pollution" at your desk with a podcast, as opposed to a radio. Anyway, here are a few I listen to regularly, all from public radio:

Dinner Party Download
    Writer's Almanac
    Planet Money
    Marketplace
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Jonah Keri, BPs Up and In, and Fangraphs all are good baseball related ones.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm kind of addicted to comedy podcasts. I love Kevin Pollak's chat show, Mohr Stories, Doug Loves Movies, Pardcast, WTF, Sklarbro Country and a lot more.

Anyway, I begrudgingly listened to Jay Mohr's latest with Jay Leno. I've never been a fan of Leno and not because of Conan or anything (I always preferred Kilbourn) but just didn't like the Tonight show very much. BUT I enjoyed this Leno episode almost as much as any podcast I've ever listened to. Leno has some really cool stand up stories, it's only an hour but I could have listened to another hour. I will say I'm a stand up comedy junkie and am fascinated by it so other people may not find it as interesting as I did.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Dan Carlin's - Hardcore History.

Greg Proops - Smartest Man in the World (NSFW)

Radiolab. each and every one amazing. Their podcast on color completely blew my mind.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

They call me "chef"

Here are the comedy podcasts that I listen to each week and recommend.

Comedy Bang Bang - Really irreverent interview show with 1 celeb/comedian guest and 1 crazy character guest
    Improv4Humans - For fans of improv comedy & improvised scenework and characters
    Improv On Tape - See above ^
    WTF with Marc Maron - More "serious" interview show with comedians & actors & celebs

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Mike and Tom Eat Snacks

Star Wars In Character- this one is strange. It tells the back stories of little known SW characters.

Phil Vischer Podcast- the guy behind Bob the Tomato

Bill Burrs Monday Morning.
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?