Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton still in hospital with pneumonia, but improving

Hamilton still in hospital with pneumonia, but improving

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...g-improvement/

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...k-factors.html
    "Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Alcohol or drug abuse is strongly associated with pneumonia. These substances act as sedatives and can diminish the reflexes that trigger coughing and sneezing. Alcohol also interferes with the actions of macrophages, the white blood cells that destroy bacteria and other microbes. Intravenous drug abusers are at risk for pneumonia from infections that start at the injection site and spread through the bloodstream to the lungs"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton still in hospital with pneumonia, but improving

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...g-improvement/

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...k-factors.html
    "Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Alcohol or drug abuse is strongly associated with pneumonia. These substances act as sedatives and can diminish the reflexes that trigger coughing and sneezing. Alcohol also interferes with the actions of macrophages, the white blood cells that destroy bacteria and other microbes. Intravenous drug abusers are at risk for pneumonia from infections that start at the injection site and spread through the bloodstream to the lungs"
    Young healthy people get pneumonia all the time. Usually its what is these days called atypical pneumonia but was in the old days was called walking pneumonia. This is usually treated with oral antibiotics at home but sometimes can be more severe. You can even die from this. Legionare's disease is an example fo an atypical pneumonia than can be severe.

You can also get more typical pneumonia such as streptococcal. This is more common in older sicker folks but does at times happen to young healthy folks. All these patients get hospitalized.

To suggest Josh is using drugs or alcohol based on him being admitted to a hospital for treatment of pneumonia is pure speculation.

Yes, it's pure speculation. But I have bad experience with addicts. Don't trust them.

Yes, it's pure speculation. But I have bad experience with addicts. Don't trust them.
    You really think Hamilton has fallen back into addiction?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I would think that anyone who has ever been around an addict or addicts would have had bad experiences with them. Hamilton's entire family has had a bad experience with him, but people can change.

To me this says more about Hamilton's overall health than it does about his fight with addiction. Doing the amount of drugs he did in the timespan he did then in does a whole of damage to the body. That's what scared me the most about him, his likelihood of getting hurt or sick on a regular basis, more than him relapsing.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Cue the obligatory "Would you still trade Hamilton for Volquez?" discussion.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I have no problem with people "wondering if this and/or that..." when it comes to Josh Hamilton. And I do not blame people for asking. Blame Josh Hamilton for people asking. Josh made terrible decisions in his life and will forever carry that stigma. Not fair? Probably not. Especially if he will foever be clean. But he created this... not the people who ask.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    To me this says more about Hamilton's overall health than it does about his fight with addiction. Doing the amount of drugs he did in the timespan he did then in does a whole of damage to the body. That's what scared me the most about him, his likelihood of getting hurt or sick on a regular basis, more than him relapsing.
    This is what I was thinking. His past abuses may make him more likely to acquite pneumonia and other infectious diseases.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've never done a drug in my life, nor smoked or drank for that matter, and I got pneumonia. Knocked me flat on my back for six weeks, and I didn't fully recover until months later. No matter the reason for Josh coming down with it, it's not to be taken lightly. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Surprised that some are sparking the debate here. It's not a relapse, I think that's as irresponsible to assume as when some here included myself doubted Votto missing games this past season for any reason other than an ear ache or sinus infection or whatever he had.

I think the media is partly to blame. If Drew Stubbs is hospitalized with Pneumonia, it's not a sportscenter lead story is it? It's probably not a story at all. But the media reports on Hamilton's bout with the illness and hospitalization so that we as fans can speculate 'is it a relapse' or 'is it due to his history'. Kind of a sad reality really.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I had a friend die of pneumonia two years ago. Perfectly healthy guy- not a smoker, exercised regularly, was a strong runner. Sometimes young people who seem otherwise very healthy get pneumonia.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I had a friend die of pneumonia two years ago. Perfectly healthy guy- not a smoker, exercised regularly, was a strong runner. Sometimes young people who seem otherwise very healthy get pneumonia.
    I got pneumonia multiple times as a kid. Its not really fair for the misleading segments when it could be explained rather easily without dragging it into "did he relapse?" But also like others have said Hamilton's previous choices have left this as an almost certainty everytime anything happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Beat writer for the Cavs Brian Windhorst got pneumonia a few years back and almost died. He was only 26 or 27 at the time.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I go along with the theory that Hamilton's previous drug addiction has possibly weakened his resisitance to sicknesses and injuries more than an indication of a relapse. But then, he could have just plain old caught the bug. Who knows?

As far as recovering addicts go, my philosophy has always been "trust, but verify".

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?