Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pujols to Cards: You have through spring

Pujols to Cards: You have through spring

According to a report today published on major media outlets, the Cardinals have been told by Albert Pujols' agent that they have until the end of spring training to get an extension worked out, or he'll go ahead with free agency after the year.

I suppose this isn't earth-shattering news, as it was unlikely they'd negotiate during the season. Still, this gives them little leverage from here going forward.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pujols to Cards: You have through spring

This has a chance to really be difficult for the Cardinals, as they really need to start well and continue to play well with no injury nor any room for error. The first time they stumble, problems could arise.

And that's good for the Reds.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I would be really, really happy to see the Cards loose Sir Albert.He's been carrying that team for a long time now and they've been pretty good as a result.Actually the best in the division for a long while now.It's time the Reds take control of the central for a nice long stretch(although that might happen anyway).

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I hope Mark Teixiera is ready to DH.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I hope Mark Teixiera is ready to DH.
    I bet, if free agency does come to fruition, he's a Met. They have a ton of money coming off of the books this year, and they need some noise after a down few years.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I bet, if free agency does come to fruition, he's a Met. They have a ton of money coming off of the books this year, and they need some noise after a down few years.
    Hadn't thought of that. I could see the Angels making a big push for him after getting stood up this year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I believe they have until spring training, not through spring training.

From The Big League Stew Sports Blog...

“We have been notified that spring training would be the deadline,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters at the club’s annual charity event Saturday. When asked if that meant the start of spring training, Mozeliak nodded.

That gives Mozeliak roughly 34 days to finalize a mega-contract extension or face the very likely possibility of Pujols testing the open market next winter. Not to mention a full season of rumors, questions without answers, and, most importantly, an anxious and queasy fanbase at Busch Stadium.
    Last edited by muddie; 01-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. I could see the Angels making a big push for him after getting stood up this year.
    Even with Morales there? I think Pujols objects to DH'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Yeah, I would actually bet that he doesn't end up with the Yankees. Mets, Angels, Dodgers seem far safer bets from what I've read about him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I know this sounds crazy, since I am a Reds fan, but I actually hope that Pujols stays in St. Louis. I like to see superstars spent a career with one team, which is relatively rare.
    The good thing for Reds fans if Pujols stays is that he may bust the Cardinals budget and keep St. Louis from keeping a quality team around him.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I believe they have until spring training, not through spring training.
    And does that mean Pitchers and Catchers Day or Position Players Report?

I wouldn't mind seeing him stay in StL for one reason. If they lock him up to a huge, mind blowing contract, it will definitely hamper their ability to build a complete team.

They're already paying Holliday nearly 20M per season and I'd bet Albert will get at least 25M annually over the life of a new deal, if not more towards 30M. Those two alone would eat up a huge chunk of their payroll.

The Cardinals can be beat with Pujols if they don't have a complete team around him. We saw that in 2010 and I'd like to see it happen even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Their big contracts for 2012 (I didn't include bonuses, etc):

Matt Holliday 10-16: $17M annually, 17:$17M club option ($1M buyout)

Chris Carpenter 07:$8.5M, 08:$10.5M, 09:$14M, 10:$14.5M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M club option ($1M buyout)

Kyle Lohse 09:$7.125M, 10:$8.875M, 11:$11.875M, 12:$11.875M

Jake Westbrook 11:$8M, 12:$8.5M, 13:$8.5M mutual option ($1M buyout if club declines, none if player declines)

Adam Wainwright 08:$0.5M, 09:$2.6M, 10:$4.65M, 11:$6.5M, 12:$9M club option, 13:$12M club option

Yadier Molina 08:$1.75M, 09:$3.25M, 10:$4.25M, 11:$5.25M, 12:$7M club option ($0.75M buyout)

Right now, that's $68.375M for those 6 players without counting Pujols. Add $25M for Pujols and you're already over $90M. Obviously, things will change. Some contracts will be redone and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of those pitchers gone. But adding a new contract for Pujols wouldn't leave much left for the other 18 players.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

We are talking about Cardinals fans here. The best fans in the world will certainly pass the hat to keep Albert there. They'll probably be able to organize a telethon.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

That Kyle Lohse contract looks nice...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?