Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardinals have until Spring Training to sign Pujols to an extension

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cardinals have until Spring Training to sign Pujols to an extension

From The Big League Stew Sports Blog...

“We have been notified that spring training would be the deadline,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters at the club’s annual charity event Saturday. When asked if that meant the start of spring training, Mozeliak nodded.

That gives Mozeliak roughly 34 days to finalize a mega-contract extension or face the very likely possibility of Pujols testing the open market next winter. Not to mention a full season of rumors, questions without answers, and, most importantly, an anxious and queasy fanbase at Busch Stadium.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cardinals have until Spring Training to sign Pujols to an extension

The Cardinals ownership will lose all creditability if they fail to sign Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The Cardinals ownership will lose all creditability if they fail to sign Pujols.
    Absolutely.

It's a lose-lose situation for Cards management.

If they sign him, they have all their eggs tied to him and won't be able to afford a good supporting cast. If they don't sign him, there really is nothing left in the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It's a lose-lose situation for Cards management.

If they sign him, they have all their eggs tied to him and won't be able to afford a good supporting cast. If they don't sign him, there really is nothing left in the cupboard.
    What makes you believe that? The Cards are one of the strongest finanical teams in MLB, they can afford Albert and plenty of supportying parts.

Well if they don't sign him, they will definitely make less money.

this isnt really a story since he wasnt gonna negotiate a contract in season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What makes you believe that? The Cards are one of the strongest finanical teams in MLB, they can afford Albert and plenty of supportying parts.
    How much money do you actually think the Cardinals are willing to spend on payroll though? Assuming that Carpenter and Molina get their options picked up in 2012, and not trying to predict any arbitration raises for players like Jason Motte, Colby Rasmus, and Jaime Garcia among others. If you were to sign Pujols to a Howard like deal of $25 million a season, then the payroll they would be comitted to for their top 10 paid players would be $101 million, with arbitration raises and filling out the rest of the roster the payroll could easily go over $120 million. The Cardinals have seemed to try and keep their payroll from passing over the $100 million mark, only passing it twice in the past 10 years (03 and 08). Records of the past decade of all team payrolls can be seen here.

So the idea that by biting the bullet and giving Pujols the contract he deserves (probably closer to the $30 mil than the $25 mil) could hurt the ability for the cardinals to fill holes in their roster is a very big possibility with the other big money they have tied up in a couple of other players is very possible. The Cards do have a lot of money fall off the books following the 2012 season like Lohse, Carpenter, and Molina. So they could have to bite the bullet with a relatively huge payroll in 2012 with some of the top contracts coming off after that season, but overall if they do sign him to a large contract it will most definitely effect their ability to sign complementary players.

All 2012 contract info was taken from Cot's Baseball Contracts
    Last edited by Quatitos; 01-17-2011 at 02:31 PM.

They many not 'want' to pay up but they have both the revenue and need to, Albert will stay a Cardinal and the Cardinals will not fall apart because of it...

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I checked the last 10 years and the Cardinals have never had a payroll over $99 million. I would be surprised if they had a payroll over $100M prior to that.

Sure, they may bump it a bit, but not to Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees level. I don't see that happening.

Pujols - $30M
    Holliday - $17M
    Carpenter - $20M
    Wainwright - $25M
    Garcia - $15M

That's what you're looking out down the road to pay all those guys.

I'm really interested to see how this plays out with Pujols and the Cardinals. Do you think they reach an agreement before spring training?

The reason why I think the Cardinals can afford him is because, as someone noted, the Cardinals have stayed under that $100 million mark for this decade, while continuing to draw over 3 million fans while raising ticket prices. Granted, some of that was to pay for the new stadium but they still make money hand over fist. Plus, I don't think raising ticket prices will be that big of a deal. The Cardinals are one of the few teams out there that the fan base will come to the games almost regardless of price. If there is an extra $5 dollar "Pujols tax", the fans would gladly pay it. I know I would.

Votto, I don't see the Cardinals paying Carpenter 20 million. He is getting older and by the time his new contract is up, Shelby Miller will be ready for the big leagues.

I think they're going to let him go into the free agency. They have a better chance of being able to keep him around if they do that, because it will give them this whole year to free up some cash for a new offer. Also, there aren't any big market teams I know of that will even consider Pujols because they already have high quality 1Bs, and I doubt Pujols will want to DH with his great defensive abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Votto, I don't see the Cardinals paying Carpenter 20 million. He is getting older and by the time his new contract is up, Shelby Miller will be ready for the big leagues.
    Agreed, with his injury history and his age getting up their now, they probably pick up his option but then part ways if he doesn't want to come back cheap.

Turn Off Ads?