Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardball Times Top 10 MILB Prospects for 2011

Hardball Times Top 10 MILB Prospects for 2011

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hardball Times Top 10 MILB Prospects for 2011

He really rates Cody Puckett, as well as Lutzkar & Duran to a lesser extent, well above what Redszone ranked them at.

Since Billy Hamilton is rated #6 on the list, I have a question. I have seen conflicting scouting reports and I really don't know who to believe. And I don't think there is consensus even within the Reds' organization.

Is Billy Hamilton going to be a future 2B or a future SS? The answer to that question needs to be answered soon, considering the middle infield situation with the big league club. If Hamilton is the future SS, then the Reds can go the temporary route with the Caberas, Renterias, and Janish's, until Hamilton is ready to go. But if Hamilton is a future 2B, then a more permanent solution to SS needs to be found, and the Reds need to stall BP's departure until Hamilton is ready.

Some say he has the arm and range to stay at short. Others claim his arm is too weak, and he'd be as good or better than BP at second.

Which scout do we believe?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Is Billy Hamilton going to be a future 2B or a future SS? The answer to that question needs to be answered soon, considering the middle infield situation with the big league club. If Hamilton is the future SS, then the Reds can go the temporary route with the Caberas, Renterias, and Janish's, until Hamilton is ready to go. But if Hamilton is a future 2B, then a more permanent solution to SS needs to be found, and the Reds need to stall BP's departure until Hamilton is ready.
    The question needs to be answered at some point, but I'm not sure it has to be this season.

Don't forget about Cozart at SS in the future. If Cozart has a good season in AAA he may be in line for the SS position. If he tears it up, and Janish/Renteiria struggle or have injuries, we might even see Cozart up this year.

Seems like the Reds have an abundance of MI prospects. Maybe none of them have the ceiling of Hamilton, but there are many solid looking options.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A decision on Hamilton doesn't need to be made anytime soon. Kris Negron and Zack Cozart will provide plenty of time to figure out where to play him long term. Personally, I would leave him at shortstop until he is ready for the Majors. At that point, you determine what makes more sense based on both him and who is playing at SS/2B for the Reds and how they are performing.

How does Hamilton project as a SS? He probably has decent range, but does he have a strong enough arm?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    How does Hamilton project as a SS? He probably has decent range, but does he have a strong enough arm?
    He has outstanding range. His arm isn't a plus there, but he isn't David Eckstein either. IMO, its plenty good enough to play there.

I think which side of 2B Hamilton ends up on may depend largely on who is DP partner is when he hits the big club. Based on the current farm system, if it's Cozart, Negron, Gregorius, Arias, Valor, etc. there's a good chance he switches to SS (although I think there's a decent chance Arias grows into a 3B). If its Puckett, HRod, Torreyes, Greene, etc.then he's probably a SS. Personally, I'm hoping Torreyes can keep ip his magic. Hamilton at SS and leading off with Torreyes at 2B and batting 2nd could really be dynamic and allow the Reds to load the other spots with Big bats.

If both youngsters could maintain their development, a future Reds lineup that included Torreyes @ 2B, Hamilton @ SS, Stubbs in CF and Mesoraco/Grandal behind the plate, has the potential to not only be solid defensively up the middle, but be pretty potent offensively at four spots where bats are often lighter. Yeah, it's way early, but find a way to keep Joey with Bruce add Yorman in LF and a yet-to-be-named 3B and you have the makings of a solid lineup.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-20-2011 at 12:04 AM.

What caught my eye was that he thought that Bailey was the Reds third best player under 26, ahead of Cueto, Leake and Wood, and that Alonso was ahead of Hamilton and Y. Rodriguez. Not sure too many other people share those opinions.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What caught my eye was that he thought that Bailey was the Reds third best player under 26, ahead of Cueto, Leake and Wood, and that Alonso was ahead of Hamilton and Y. Rodriguez. Not sure too many other people share those opinions.
    I agree with Bailey 3rd. If Chapman stays in the pen, Bailey might be 2nd. I think Leake is too high. Bruce is the clear number 1.

Grandal is the guy that surprises me the most. He's highly rated on both lists and getting love for his offense and defense. The reports that I read made him sound like Javy so I've not rated him as highly as others. I hope the optimism about Grandal is correct. Its been on multiple lists, but I chalked it up to the typical love for the latest 1st rounder that seems so rampant on these lists. I'd love to see him start at a fairly high level (A+ or AA) and him put up a good season and prove these lists correct.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has outstanding range. His arm isn't a plus there, but he isn't David Eckstein either. IMO, its plenty good enough to play there.
    I used to think the Reds should try to move Alonso to LA for Dee Gordon. Could you imagine a future Hamilton/Gordon middle infield, with Stubbs in center?

Actually, Grandal may be in the same boat as Alonso. He will be blocked by Mes at catcher, which either makes him trade bait or a candidate for a position change. Votto was originally drafted as a catcher, got moved to 3B, and eventually moved to 1B.

It would not surprise me if Grandal is the guy who perhaps replaces Votto in 2014, should Votto choose to move on. Not saying Grandal will move to 1B, but it is a very slight possibility.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 01-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Actually, Grandal may be in the same boat as Alonso. He will be blocked by Mes at catcher, which either makes him trade bait or a candidate for a position change. Votto was originally drafted as a catcher, got moved to 3B, and eventually moved to 1B.

It would not surprise me if Grandal is the guy who perhaps replaces Votto in 2014, should Votto choose to move on. Not saying Grandal will move to 1B, but it is a very slight possibility.
    It's possible. I'd rather have Alonso's bat but who knows how it will all shake up.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's possible. I'd rather have Alonso's bat but who knows how it will all shake up.
    I would too, but Alonso needs to play every day. Timing is Alonso's worst enemy. Votto is clearly the superior player, both offensively and defensively. However, Alonso can improve in both areas as long as he plays every day. IMO, it would seriously hamper his development to keep him riding the bench to occasionally pinch hit or "just in case" Votto can't play. So do you keep him stuck in AAA until 2014? That's not the best solution, either. About a half season more at AAA is all Alonso needs. Now if Alonso could move to LF ... that's discussion for another time.

A trade is the best use of Alonso's talent at this point. And who knows? Grandal's talents may be best served as trade bait as well.

Did I miss it, or did Ryan LeMarre get left off the list?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Not a bad list -- though I have Devin Mesoraco as the #1 prospect as long as the Reds continue to think of Chapman as a reliever. A solid-defense catcher that hits for power and average is more important and more valuable than any bullpen guy, no matter how hard he throws.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?