Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your pick for 2012 breakout player of the year

Your pick for 2012 breakout player of the year

Mine?

Pitcher: Kyle Lotzkar. Monster stuff, but the potential for injury still scares me. I he could put it all together this year, I could see him jumping two, maybe even three levels this year, giving the Reds a top starting prospect in between the arms currently with the Reds/L'Ville and those in the lower level.

Honorable mentions: Brad Boxberger. Time to make a decision. Starter or closer. He didn't show that well out of the pen, but I'd love to see him evolve into a closer prospect who can challenge when Coco is gone.

Phil Valiquette. Cage that elephant. It would be very nice to see him get his control of that high 90s heater under control and make it that much easier to transition Aroldis to the rotation.

Position Player: Juan Duran/Kyle Waldrop/Jarren Matthews. The Reds have a lack of corner OFers with power. It would definitely be nice to see at least two of this trio to start stepping forward. There's still plenty of time for all three.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your pick for 2012 breakout player of the year

2012 or 2011?

If it's next season, my pick goes to Cody Puckett. If he again OPSes somewhere between 850 and 900 while playing a passable 2B, he'll take Phillips' spot sooner rather than later, perhaps as early as 2012. The kid will be in AA at age 24 and could post a 280/350/500 line with 25 homers from a 2B. (Think Dan Uggla with a few less K's.)

I also like Soto to blossom as a 1B/DH/C in AA this season. His power is apparently for real, as he could hit 25 homers in the majors. He's also young enough to play enough catcher to be a real asset in that spot. (A catcher who can go 240/300/450 is pretty valuable, as long as he doesn't make much cash. That's Soto's floor, IMO.)

As far as pitching, I like Lotzkar to stay healthy and really put up dominant numbers. I expect he'll start in Dayton (Bakersfield just isn't a place I'd want to put anyone to start the year, especially if you're challenging them.) If so, I could see him make a two or three level jump. Really, the only thing holding him back is his brittle arm. He's got TOR stuff.

I also like Jacob Johnson to really put up good numbers in 2011. I suspect the Reds will keep him in Dayton to start the season, then move him to Bakersfield at the All Star break. (Same thing I expect to happen with Lotzkar.) A 20-year-old repeating half a season in low A isn't bad at all and dominating a league would be better for him (and the Reds) than moving him aggressively. (No reason to do it, as there are good young pitchers already in Cincinnati and AAA.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    2012 or 2011?

If it's next season, my pick goes to Cody Puckett. If he again OPSes somewhere between 850 and 900 while playing a passable 2B, he'll take Phillips' spot sooner rather than later, perhaps as early as 2012. The kid will be in AA at age 24 and could post a 280/350/500 line with 25 homers from a 2B. (Think Dan Uggla with a few less K's.)

I also like Soto to blossom as a 1B/DH/C in AA this season. His power is apparently for real, as he could hit 25 homers in the majors. He's also young enough to play enough catcher to be a real asset in that spot. (A catcher who can go 240/300/450 is pretty valuable, as long as he doesn't make much cash. That's Soto's floor, IMO.)

As far as pitching, I like Lotzkar to stay healthy and really put up dominant numbers. I expect he'll start in Dayton (Bakersfield just isn't a place I'd want to put anyone to start the year, especially if you're challenging them.) If so, I could see him make a two or three level jump. Really, the only thing holding him back is his brittle arm. He's got TOR stuff.

I also like Jacob Johnson to really put up good numbers in 2011. I suspect the Reds will keep him in Dayton to start the season, then move him to Bakersfield at the All Star break. (Same thing I expect to happen with Lotzkar.) A 20-year-old repeating half a season in low A isn't bad at all and dominating a league would be better for him (and the Reds) than moving him aggressively. (No reason to do it, as there are good young pitchers already in Cincinnati and AAA.)
    I agree Scrap about Cody Puckett, I dont think he gets enough credit, this kid is pure power, my other breakout guy is LaMarre, love his tools I hope he's the kid they put on a fast track

Might be wishful thinking, but it would be pretty cool if Juan Duran were the guy who found himself. He showed some signs last year, for the first time. I'm not predicting it . . . just sayin'.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

My pick is Yonder Alonso. With the wrist problem moving further into the past, we will get to see his full power at work this year. He has a great eye and I think he will play some solid defense. I think Yonder has a 50 50 shot to put up at least a 900 OPS this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    My pick is Yonder Alonso. With the wrist problem moving further into the past, we will get to see his full power at work this year. He has a great eye and I think he will play some solid defense. I think Yonder has a 50 50 shot to put up at least a 900 OPS this year.
    If he is in triple A for the majority of the season he definitely will imo.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

the few games I saw Alonso with the Reds convinced me he has great power to all fields and is a guy who I feel should be an untouchable with Reds, how he fits the puzzle Im not sure, I do know this, in the early 70's the Reds wouldnt just trade a talent like Alonso they would find a way to get a kid like this on the field

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    the few games I saw Alonso with the Reds convinced me he has great power to all fields and is a guy who I feel should be an untouchable with Reds, how he fits the puzzle Im not sure, I do know this, in the early 70's the Reds wouldnt just trade a talent like Alonso they would find a way to get a kid like this on the field
    Yeah by trading Tony Perez....

Though I agree with Edd Roush that Alonso should have a breakout season, but not sure that changes his MLB profile, still needs to shorten that swing.

Though I'm looking to someone less obvious than Alonso or someone having the type of year that we might not expect. I'm hoping a bunch break out but i'll go with Juan Silva just because I don't have anyone that jumps out at me.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-22-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm going with Alonso too. I think he's about to go crazy. I think Frazier is going to have a great year too.

Honorable Mention: David Sappelt, cause batting 342 across all levels with great defense just isn't good enough. Maybe if he does it again, he can get the respect he deserves.

I'll go with SS Kris Negron. The kid has a good glove, very good speed that he uses well and a good idea about what he's doing at the plate. I think he has a Sappelt like breakout next year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'll go with SS Kris Negron. The kid has a good glove, very good speed that he uses well and a good idea about what he's doing at the plate. I think he has a Sappelt like breakout next year.
    Good call. I'm not predicting huge things from him in the long run, but I think what separates the elite scouts from the ordinary scouts are the ones that can tell you that players like Negron can succeed at higher levels despite not being impressive to the plain eye. If he puts up a line of .270/.360/.400 at AAA this year, we may end up putting him ahead of Cozart.

-The Insider-

I agree with Negron. He really started to heat up towards the end of the season and did well in the Fall league.

Honorable mentioning/sleeper: Jerry Gil. Not saying he's gonna put up a sub 2 ERA in Louisville, I just think he's gonna finally show that he's worthy of a call up at some point. His change is nasty.

This is hard because break-out can mean a lot of different things. So here are some picks.

1. Guy not on the 40 man roster to most likely make an impact in the majors in 2011 - David Sappelt or Devin Mesoraco.

2. Guy most likely to rise a few levels and be considered for the majors at some point in 2011 - Donnie Joseph.

3. Guy most likely to rise from the pack into top 10 status - Juan Duran

4. Guy most likely to move from non-prospect to interesting - Miguel Rojas (I think the Reds consider him a prospect already).

5. Guy to make the biggest jump on the Redszone prospect rankings - Felix Perez

6. Hyped later round draftee who comes through - Kyle Waldrop

7. Deep Sleeper - Chris Richburg
    Last edited by mth123; 01-24-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah by trading Tony Perez....
    Tony was in his 12th year with Cincy when he was dealt, how is that even close to what Im talking about, Alonso is in his second season, now if the Reds had traded Tony in his second season you would be right Mario

A guy I'll be watching who's slipped under the radar. Recent 4th rounder who put up an .895 OPS in the 2nd half last year. At catcher.

Mark Fleury

If he continues to hit, he could have a major league future. LH-hitting catcher, after all.

Turn Off Ads?