Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your pick for 2012 breakout player of the year

Re: Your pick for 2012 breakout player of the year

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    A guy I'll be watching who's slipped under the radar. Recent 4th rounder who put up an .895 OPS in the 2nd half last year. At catcher.

Mark Fleury

If he continues to hit, he could have a major league future. LH-hitting catcher, after all.
    Agreed. I'm thinking of Joe Nolan as a comp, but I don't know enough about Fleury's defense. I've heard its good enough. Hopefully it better than Nolan's. I didn't consider him as a sleeper because he seems to be known, but he could be a pretty big riser on the list.

If Fleury has a good first half, I could see Grandal on the block at the deadline. Mesoraco/Fleury might make a pretty good tandem down the road after Hanigan leaves.

I think one possible path might be Mesoraco upgrades from Ramon (a lot), Fleury replaces Hanigan as Hanigan gets pricey. Grandal in a package for an impact guy. Barnhardt is a wild card. I like the future at catcher about as much as any spot other than RF (or 1B if they can keep Votto around).
    Last edited by mth123; 01-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Tony was in his 12th year with Cincy when he was dealt, how is that even close to what Im talking about, Alonso is in his second season, now if the Reds had traded Tony in his second season you would be right Mario
    I do know this, in the early 70's the Reds wouldnt just trade a talent like Alonso they would find a way to get a kid like this on the field
    Trading Tony Perez to get Dan Driessen on the field was my point. Trading Votto would be the comp, meaning yeah they wouldn't have dealt Alonso they would have screwed up and dealt Votto.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think one possible path might be Mesoraco upgrades from Ramon (a lot), Fleury replaces Hanigan as Hanigan gets pricey. Grandal in a package for an impact guy. Barnhardt is a wild card. I like the future at catcher about as much as any spot other than RF (or 1B if they can keep Votto around).
    A lot of possibilities, including one in which none of these guys turns into a big league regular (small chance, but not non-existent). One distinct possibility that gets little or no mention is that Mesoraco and/or Grandal moves off catcher to 1B, 3B or LF. If the bats are legit, and there's a chance both are, it would give the Reds some nice flexibility for plugging holes in house.

Actually, moving Perez to 3B to get he and Lee May on the field at the same time would be the best comp for Icehole's point. Another would be trying Dan Direissen there when Perez was locked in at 1B. As awful as Perez and Dreissen both were at 3B (not quite EdE bad, but close) I just don't think Alonso could be anywhere near as good at another spot. The Reds answered this for me last year when Alonso didn't get a sniff of any OF play in his major league call-up. The Reds were down to 2 OF and Alonso didn't get a look. After the Reds clinched, Alonso didn't get a look. I think with Votto and Alonso its an either/or proposition unless the new CBA adds the DH to the NL.

Votto is here for three more years. If Alonso can be dealt to upgrade the team elsewhere, ship him off.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-24-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

A lot of possibilities, including one in which none of these guys turns into a big league regular (small chance, but not non-existent). One distinct possibility that gets little or no mention is that Mesoraco and/or Grandal moves off catcher to 1B, 3B or LF. If the bats are legit, and there's a chance both are, it would give the Reds some nice flexibility for plugging holes in house.
    Its absolutely true that they could all bust. Successful jumps to the majors are never a given, but after 2012 or so, there are only a couple spots that look better equipped. RF with Bruce of course and CF with Stubbs probably. Votto's long term is in doubt. I think the catching position is more likely to be filled successfully from within than the MI after Phillips leaves (SS is already iffy), 3B when Rolen goes or LF right now. If the Reds keep Alonso around, 1B might be OK but I like the chances at Catcher with the group the Reds have better than I do 1B with Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Trading Tony Perez to get Dan Driessen on the field was my point. Trading Votto would be the comp, meaning yeah they wouldn't have dealt Alonso they would have screwed up and dealt Votto.
    I think thats exactly what is going to happen, but until then they should keep Alonso around, so good you agree with me, good man

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I think thats exactly what is going to happen, but until then they should keep Alonso around, so good you agree with me, good man
    No I don't think we agree, unless I misunderstood you. I think they should make every effort to find a way to keep Votto. However since that decision is at least 2 years away I think Alonso should be dealt to help this team win something big while Votto is still a Red, that is if Yonder can't play another position. Now if the Reds have designs on waiting one more year to see if Joey has since changed his mind and making a decision at that point I would probably be ok if they kept Yonder one more season.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-25-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Neftali Soto is only 22 (turns 22 Feb 28) and should be at AA this year. He posted this line after the ASB: .331 .481 .813

He's my choice for breakout player.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Junior Arias will be one of the Reds top seven prospects at this time next season. That's my prediction. I think he's going to put up some big numbers at Billings and then earn a late season promotion to Dayton and make a name for himself as a prospect.

I also think Juan Duran will take another step forward this season. He started off 2010 slow but ended the season on a good note.

As for the pitchers, I'm expecting big things out of Jonathan Correa and Ismael Guillon. I think both of those guys are going to establish themselves as top prospects. I think Guillon will be a top 100 prospect in baseball at this time next season. With his projectable frame and fastball/changeup combo, he's got a chance to be a top-of-rotation starter, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Neftali Soto is only 22 (turns 22 Feb 28) and should be at AA this year. He posted this line after the ASB: .331 .481 .813

Beat me to it. Mine as well.

I'll pick the same one I picked last year, Jordan Hotchkiss.

I think Hotchkiss is going to continue his rise as a Starter prospect in the organization.

He should be able to reach 160 innings pitched this year as a Starter (barring injury), while continuing to work on developing his entire game.

Then in 2012, he can take his assault at the Major League Level if an opening occurs. If the opening isn't there, then 2012 will be fine for him as a ready starter at Louisville. But, that's a far look into his future, as he's very new as a Starter. Need to see him doing it successfully for one full year at 160 innings in the Minors first.

With his size, I'd like to see him develop a better strikeout power pitch, whether it's a hard-curve or a hard-slider.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.

A guy I'll be watching who's slipped under the radar. Recent 4th rounder who put up an .895 OPS in the 2nd half last year. At catcher.

Mark Fleury

If he continues to hit, he could have a major league future. LH-hitting catcher, after all.
    Good pick. I had noticed that he took off in the second half, but did not realize it was that much.

I'll throw out a couple of more names.

Alex Buchholz has had disappointing back to back seasons, but has been often injured. He put up better numbers in the second half of last season and could be poised for a breakout year.

Josh Garton has good power but, like many power hitters, K's far too often. With better strike zone discipline, he could have a breakout year.

He's really the prime choice especially when you find out that his LD% was something like 12% (2010) down from around 23% (2009). And when you combine that with the fact he already tears RHP a new one and has yet to figure out LHP, he could yet be a monster. Unfortunately he may have to be because it's looking like he is strictly a 1B prospect at this point got a ton of work to do at catcher and not sure he will make it.

http://www.redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He's really the prime choice especially when you find out that his LD% was something like 12% (2010) down from around 23% (2009). And when you combine that with the fact he already tears RHP a new one and has yet to figure out LHP, he could yet be a monster. Unfortunately he may have to be because it's looking like he is strictly a 1B prospect at this point got a ton of work to do at catcher and not sure he will make it.

http://www.redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/
    Lets also not forget that he had his hamate bone removed in the 2009 offseason, so his power should actually be better in 2011 than it was in 2010.

Resident PED Expert

Thought we could revisit this thread.

A lot of support for Soto this year.

Turn Off Ads?