Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bavasi not afraid to fast track Hamilton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bavasi not afraid to fast track Hamilton

<http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/..._cin&c_id=cin>

First time poster, long time reader. This article got me very excited. If Hamilton keeps getting better, when do you guys think we could see him if they infact "fast track" him? Maybe late 2012? Hope to have a lot of great conversation with everyone on this board.

Re: Bavasi not afraid to fast track Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post

First time poster, long time reader. This article got me very excited. If Hamilton keeps getting better, when do you guys think we could see him if they infact "fast track" him? Maybe late 2012? Hope to have a lot of great conversation with everyone on this board.
    Welcome Nate. Hamilton is arguably the most important prospect in the Reds system. A middle infielder who plays solid defense, but is also showing signs of being able to post high Avg/OBP numbers and posses Plus speed would be a godsend if he can continue his current developmental path.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-20-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Billy's future will be more clear when we see where he starts in 2011 and how he performs there. If he does well at Dayton, he may not be there very long. I'd want to get him to A+ so he can move up to AA in 2012 to avoid Bakersfield. (If that field is as bad as they say)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Billy's future will be more clear when we see where he starts in 2011 and how he performs there. If he does well at Dayton, he may not be there very long. I'd want to get him to A+ so he can move up to AA in 2012 to avoid Bakersfield. (If that field is as bad as they say)
    The Bakersfield affiliation starts this year, not next, so he won't be able to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Bakersfield affiliation starts this year, not next, so he won't be able to avoid it.
    Oh yeah. I felt like I was mixing things up. I was thinking of the Carolina deal.

He's important, sure, but they all are, really. He's no more important, IMO, than a Lotzkar (who, if he develops, is the TOR arm this team may need), Mesoraco (who could not only be a solid catcher, but the cleanup bat this team needs), or Yorman Rodriguez (who, if he develops, could be the third OF in the Red pipeline who's above average to outstanding both offensively and defensively).

That said, Hamilton is, to me, the most interesting prospect to follow. His mixture of speed as a true weapon, batting average, and obp-- not to mention an apparently plus glove, arm, and range-- means he has a chance to amaze each time he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post

Bavasi's not afraid to fast track a player? That's kind of his MO as he feels a player needs to experience crushing failure in order to develop.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bavasi's not afraid to fast track a player? That's kind of his MO as he feels a player needs to experience crushing failure in order to develop.
    I wonder if that path is helpful to GMs. If so, Bavasi's got his bases covered.

I was struck by the final line of the article: "We'll let this kid keep seeking his own level," Bavasi said. "He's got the makeup to struggle a little bit and get through it. We won't hold him back."

Is your comment coming from a general dislike of Bavasi? What would you see as ideal for Hamilton's progress over the next two seasons? I certainly want to see the Reds move these promising players along while allowing them to succeed at a good rate.

I notice the article indicated that the belief is that he's still better suited for short, but I've assumed that we were keeping him at second. That would assist with the transition from Phillips to the next second baseman.

Still, I'd be curious to hear your hope for Hamilton coming up.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is your comment coming from a general dislike of Bavasi?
    No. It's coming from Bavasi's track record.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

There's a big jump from Billings to Dayton for Hamilton. He goes from a warm weather hitter's league to a pitcher's league with some cold weather early in the year. The switch hitting is still relatively new. If he plays SS, he's doing so after a year of playing another position. I wouldn't be in a hurry to promote him.

No. It's coming from Bavasi's track record.
    Who are some of the prospects he rushed and (presumably) ruined?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Who are some of the prospects he rushed and (presumably) ruined?
    Who are some of the prospects he didn't rush?

You're the Mariners fan. You tell us.
    Go BLUE!!!

Adam Jones? Shin-Soo Choo?

Turn Off Ads?