Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late night thoughts.. Give me your best scenario for the bullpen next year.

Late night thoughts.. Give me your best scenario for the bullpen next year.

Who you got? Obviously Cordero is going to be back there with Chapman, Bray, and Masset as locks. Ondrusek, Burton, LeCure, or Maloney for the middle relief and long relief roles? I'm assuming Jocketty keeps 7 bp arms.

I'm hoping that Arredondo gets work in and can help at some point. I'm honestly not expecting much from Ondrusek or Smith. There isn't anything more volatile in baseball than relief pitching and those guys don't miss near enough bats to be counted on, IMO.

I think the bullpen could be a serious strength if Chapman, Masset, and Bray continue developing and stay healthy. Getting depth and innings out of actual talented arms like Maloney and Burton could be huge in long relief spots.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Late night thoughts.. Give me your best scenario for the bullpen next year.

I'd love to see Willis thrive.

Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Arredondo, Burton, Bray, with Lecure or Ondrusek as the long reliever/mop-up man. The Reds could make a spring deal by trading a relief arm or two. Willis could force his way in and I still like Carlos Fisher and right now he has no chance at a spot IMO. I think Burton at $750K and Arredondo at $1 Million, might be guys they look to move. I doubt the Reds will want to pay them that and stash them at AAA if somebody like Willis forces his way in front of them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Arredondo, Burton, Bray, with Lecure or Ondrusek as the long reliever/mop-up man. The Reds could make a spring deal by trading a relief arm or two. Willis could force his way in and I still like Carlos Fisher and right now he has no chance at a spot IMO. I think Burton at $750K and Arredondo at $1 Million, might be guys they look to move. I doubt the Reds will want to pay them that and stash them at AAA if somebody like Willis forces his way in front of them.
    I think it's also possible that guys who have also been starters in the minors (and at the major league level too), such as Maloney & LeCure, may have more value on the trade market than in being in our pen. Some club or another may want a fifth starter type or a swing man that they'll pay something, even some decent (not great) prospects, to acquire. Some of this may shake out that way before the season starts.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think it's also possible that guys who have also been starters in the minors (and at the major league level too), such as Maloney & LeCure, may have more value on the trade market than in being in our pen. Some club or another may want a fifth starter type or a swing man that they'll pay something, even some decent (not great) prospects, to acquire. Some of this may shake out that way before the season starts.

I'd rather have guys like Maloney and Lecure stashed at AAA for potential needed depth than traded for decent (not grest) prospects.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Who you got? Obviously Cordero is going to be back there with Chapman, Bray, and Masset as locks. Ondrusek, Burton, LeCure, or Maloney for the middle relief and long relief roles? I'm assuming Jocketty keeps 7 bp arms.
    It continues to bother me that the Reds see fit to waste a 100+ MPH LHP as set up guy. At least give the guy a full year shot in AAA to see if he can be an effective starter before you cut his value off at the knees.

Heck, I don't even think the Reds NEED Chapman out there -- with Masset in the 8th and Ondrusek in the 7th, I think they've got the back end of things locked up nicely without him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Cordero, Masset, Chapman, Ondrusek, Bray, Burton, Bailey if he doesn't make the rotation. Willis if Bailey does make the rotation.

Very surprised that most folks seem to think Burton will be there. Assuming no trades and no ST meltdowns, I'd like to see:

Cordero
    Masset
    Chapman
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Arredondo
    Willis

I'd rather see Lecure and Leake starting in AAA than logging long relief innings. Having Willis on my list assumes he's throwing strikes. I don't want him trying to figure it in the majors. If he goes to AAA, give me Maloney. He had some experience in relief last year and did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It continues to bother me that the Reds see fit to waste a 100+ MPH LHP as set up guy. At least give the guy a full year shot in AAA to see if he can be an effective starter before you cut his value off at the knees.

Heck, I don't even think the Reds NEED Chapman out there -- with Masset in the 8th and Ondrusek in the 7th, I think they've got the back end of things locked up nicely without him.
    I agree. Lets give him a FULL year starting at AAA, get his IP up a little bit. Maybe develop a 3 and 4 pitch and see where hes at for next year.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

One of the trade-offs of having a successful team, you end up looking more at the bird in the hand at the major league level than the two in the bush in the minors. I think it is a tough decision and wouldn't disagree with either plan, but I wouldn't complain if Cincy thrives with Aroldis back there. And don't forget...Cordero could easily flop in April, leaving the bullpen with a gaping wound. Maybe he is the reason why Chapman will be in the bullpen this season.

Remember, Texas has done something similar with their Chapman.

Cordero-- Closer
    Massett-- Set-Up
    Arredondo-- Set-Up
    Bray-- LOOGY
    Willis-- LOOGY
    Ondrusek-- Long/ Middle relief
    Chapman-- Long/ Middle relief

Chapman makes this 'pen truly special. He can come in at any time in the game and completely alter the complexion of it. He'll get innings while learning how to get major league hitters out and working on his third pitch (which was a real plus pitch early in Spring Training and Louisville, remember. It's not as if he can't throw the change; it's that he needs to continue to "feel" it.) He could vey well garner 120-140 IP this season while still being babied a bit. He could also very well match the numbers of any starting pitcher on the roster in terms of K rate, WHIP, and ERA, while affecting 30-40 more games in the season.

This use of Chapman would mean everyone else in the pen has a specific spot that wouldn't change. Ondrusek would pitch on days that Chapman couldn't and as a middle reliever for the sixth and seventh innings.

If you needed a LOOGY, you'd have two to choose from, Bray and Willis. Bray could pitch innings rather than batters, but wouldn't be needed to. Willis, IMO, is pretty much only going to be a LOOGY until he finds a consistent release point.

Arredondo and Masset make up the set-up crew. Both have exceptional arms and pedigrees good enough to close, should Cordero get dealt or really struggle. (Neither would be used in place of Chapman, however, if the starter goes seven or eight innings.)

Cordero is the worst reliever in this particular 'pen (aside from perhaps Willis). That actually makes sense as to his closer role, IMO, as he's going to consistently come in with no one on base and only three outs to get.

Leake and Maloney go to AAA and are brought up as starting depth. LeCure is the third starter in AAA, but could swing to the 'pen in the majors as needed. (And be a decent option as a middle reliever.) Add in long range depth like Smith, Burton, Fisher, Herrera, Joseph, Kllinker, Horst, and Valiquette, and the Reds could very well have two solid to above average major league bullpens.

It'd be a great idea, IMO, to deal a few of these guys for either some major league help or lower level prospects. (My favorite dream scenario is some combination of pitching depth and Gomes or Heisy prying Alex Gordon away from Kansas City.) Apparently, however, they have little trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Very surprised that most folks seem to think Burton will be there.
    I think Burton is as likely to be successful this year as Bray is.

That's not really meant as praise for either player, just commentary.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I think Burton is as likely to be successful this year as Bray is.

That's not really meant as praise for either player, just commentary.
    They have different roles. Bray is clearly the #2 lefty out of the pen, making it highly likely he makes the team. What has surprised me is that folks are putting Burton ahead of several other RHs -- guys like Ondrusek, Smih, Lecure, Arredondo -- most of whom were ahead of him last year.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    They have different roles. Bray is clearly the #2 lefty out of the pen, making it highly likely he makes the team. What has surprised me is that folks are putting Burton ahead of several other RHs -- guys like Ondrusek, Smih, Lecure, Arredondo -- most of whom were ahead of him last year.
    It's no surprise to me at all, personally. Unless he's cut in spring training, Burton's contract is guaranteed, and he has a much longer history of success, relatively speaking, than the rest of those guys.

he has a much longer history of success, relatively speaking, than the rest of those guys.
    Burton has not shown any sustained success in years.

Turn Off Ads?