Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto Reportedly Close to a 4-Year Extension

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Johnny Cueto Reportedly Close to a 4-Year Extension

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Cueto Signs 4-Year Extension

Just saw that.

Wow.

I'm not sure what to think of this, but the team sure is signing its home-grown guys

Brief link found on twitter: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...medium=twitter

Wow...... I guess that leaves only one remaining question...How will Chris Carpenter tells his son this news?

An average of 6.75mill/yr. I like it a lot. I'm sure it is spread out like the Bruce and Votto deals have been but it's still a solid signing.

This bought out one of his FA years correct?
    Matta = Really good

Holy Cow. This shocks the heck out of me.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    An average of 6.75mill/yr. I like it a lot. I'm sure it is spread out like the Bruce and Votto deals have been but it's still a solid signing.

This bought out one of his FA years correct?
    Yes, most likely the first one.

Man, they are really doing everything they can to lock up the core of this team.

I'm always scared of long term contracts for pitchers, but I like the pro-activeness of the front office. It's a breath of fresh air.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

CHEAP is my reaction. Great move IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

As a HUGE fan of Johnny Cueto, I love this deal. Nice job by Jocketty. Cueto is an underrated pitcher, IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

My analysis posted in the Fay thread:

According to Enrique Rojas of espndeportes.com (via mlbtraderumors.com), it's done. 4 years, $27M.

By my math, the Reds were already set to get a bargain on Cueto in arbitration and this just continues along those lines.

Cueto was a 2.8 WAR pitcher last year. If we assume just a few reasonable things, the Reds got a steal:
    Code:
    	WAR	$/WAR	Multiplier	Earned Salary
    2011	2.8	4.50	0.4		$ 5.0
    2012	2.8	4.75	0.6		$ 8.0
    2013	2.8	5.00	0.8		$11.2
    2014	2.8	5.25	1.0		$14.7
    					$38.9
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bob's spending.

It seems as if he's spending on the right people!

I'm glad to be so high on Reds baseball right now....the Bengals gave me nothing, and the Bearcats are unfortunately, still wait and see...

Fangraphs has been taking an extensive look at factors that lead to DL trips for pitchers this week. If I am reading it right (and someone please correct me if I am not) but they seem to suggest that height is not much of a factor in predicting future DL trips. Age obviously was the biggest factor, and weight (being over especially) was the biggest factor when it came to size.

In all, the actually predicted that Cueto was one of the least likely pitchers to go on the DL in the future. I would link, but there are so many articles about it, it would be too difficult. One caveat is that it is based on small sample sizes since there just aren't that many pitchers who last long enough to get enough data, but it was interesting nonetheless.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My analysis posted in the Fay thread:

According to Enrique Rojas of espndeportes.com (via mlbtraderumors.com), it's done. 4 years, $27M.

By my math, the Reds were already set to get a bargain on Cueto in arbitration and this just continues along those lines.

Cueto was a 2.8 WAR pitcher last year. If we assume just a few reasonable things, the Reds got a steal:
    Code:
    	WAR	$/WAR	Multiplier	Earned Salary
    2011	2.8	4.50	0.4		$ 5.0
    2012	2.8	4.75	0.6		$ 8.0
    2013	2.8	5.00	0.8		$11.2
    2014	2.8	5.25	1.0		$14.7
    					$38.9
    Great stuff. Thanks RMR

So it looks like, if Cueto stays healthy and doesn't decline over the next 4 years, the Reds will be getting his first free agent year almost for free. Looks like a bargain to me.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I love me some free agent years (year). Well done.

I like Cueto, he has been a solid pitcher for us, and can be very good. But I am getting a bit tired of WJ looking to extend our entire team when we have a pretty solid farm system in place, and are not ay risk to losing the players via FA. Mainly I am talking about the Arroyo and Cueto extensions, since pitchers are such volatile assets, especially young ones.

The way I see it is it could turn out to be a bargain but it is just as likely to be an albatross in his 1st FA year. I would have liked to see how Cueto performed this season before pulling an extension. Now days it seems all pitchers go through a TJ surgery at somepoint, and I would hate to see us paying Cueto 8 million when still in his arbitration years if that happens.

I don't mean anything again Cueto in this post, I love him as a pitcher. He has improved every season, and was well above average last season. And I love Arroyo and Votto, I am just scared at all of the committed money being put in place 3 years down the road when it didnt have to be.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?