Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: do you have an American League team?

Re: do you have an American League team?

Tigers in the AL due to living here in Toledo area and seeing their players come up with the Mud Hens. But they are a distant 2nd to the Reds, but I still have an interest in them. Started back when they called Travis Fryman up.

In the past I have followed the Expos and Red Sox, both occurrences spurred by their acquisitions of Tony Perez.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate the Yankees.

Oh, wait, you said an American League team I like. OK, in that case, nevermind.

Well, I am from just north of Boston and my family is all from New England. I love the Red Sox.

When we were kids we used to play wiffleball everyday. No one was allowed to be the Red Sox and no one wanted to be an American League team out of loyalty. Ted would be the Giants. Bob would be the Braves. I would always be the Reds. We had to bat according to the lineup. I'd bat right for Tommy Harper, switch for Rose, left for Pinson, right for Robinson, left for Coleman, right for Deron Johnson, left for Edwards, right for Cardenas, and then the pitcher. I can (or used to) actually throw a nasty lefthanded wiffleball curve with my left hand.

The Reds were my personal team. We moved to Cincinnati (Indian Hill) when I was in junior high and my dad and I went to maybe 20 to 30 games a year for the two years we lived there. We moved back to Massachusetts when I was in 9th grade but the Reds were my team.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Not really, kind of root for different teams from afar but only here and there.

Love...
    The Royals Uniforms and Kaufman Stadium
    Fenway Park/Green Monster and from what I have seen in pictures the area surrounding the park/Yawkey Way.
    The OF Backdrop of Camden Yards, brick warehouses behind a ballyard something neat about that.

Like....
    The OF Museum in the old Yankee Stadium
    Orioles Uniforms (if I haven't seen them in a while)
    Jacobs Field at night (when it's rockin')
    Anaheims stadium
    Seattle's uni's and Field (it just looks so clean and svelt)

Admire/Admired....
    Josh Hamilton
    Roberto Alomar
    Paul Molitor
    Brooks Robinson
    Cal Ripken
    Cito Gaston
    George Brett
    Kirk Gibson
    Trammel/Whitaker
    Frank Thomas
    Kenny Lofton
    Tom Kelly & Ron Gardenhire

Remember vividly....
    The late '80's A's especially Baines, Lansford, Stewart etc.
    The 80's Twins (a group that makes one heck of a case for intangibles and defense)
    The offensive talent on those good Blue Jays teams Alomar, White, Molitor, Carter etc.
    80's Royals & Orioles
    90's Tribe
    late 90's M's
    the pop of Juan Gone and Pudge and company.

But do I have a team? Nah not really but if I did I guess it would have to be the O's, the Royals or perhaps the Jays.
    There fixed that for myself.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well, I am from just north of Boston and my family is all from New England. I love the Red Sox.

When we were kids we used to play wiffleball everyday. No one was allowed to be the Red Sox and no one wanted to be an American League team out of loyalty. Ted would be the Giants. Bob would be the Braves. I would always be the Reds. We had to bat according to the lineup. I'd bat right for Tommy Harper, switch for Rose, left for Pinson, right for Robinson, left for Coleman, right for Deron Johnson, left for Edwards, right for Cardenas, and then the pitcher. I can (or used to) actually throw a nasty lefthanded wiffleball curve with my left hand.

The Reds were my personal team. We moved to Cincinnati (Indian Hill) when I was in junior high and my dad and I went to maybe 20 to 30 games a year for the two years we lived there. We moved back to Massachusetts when I was in 9th grade but the Reds were my team.
    And your choice for a moniker was Spitball?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The Reds are the only team I would consider myself a fan of, but I will root for other teams based on situations. If it's the post season and the Reds are not a factor, I'll start pulling for teams that have never won it or have a manager or player I respect, etc.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?