Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds working on a deal with Volquez too?

Reds working on a deal with Volquez too?

From John Fay:

But the Reds are working on a deal with Volquez as well.

“We’re looking at both — one-year and multi-year,” Walt Jocketty said. “We’re hopeful that we’ll get something done.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...about-volquez/

I would love to see the Reds sign Volquez to a multi-year deal too. I was very impressed with his post-Tommy John surgery stuff, and he really seemed to get back in the groove of things the last month of the season. When healthy, his stuff is ace caliber. I really think he's going to be very good this season and in the future. Signing him now would be a smart move, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds working on a deal with Volquez too?

Is there anyway Mike Leake starts the season in the majors? I just don't see how he fits in.

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood
    Volquez
    Bailey (who is out of options)
    Leake

I just don't see how he starts the year up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Locking up Volquez this winter, if the price is right, could turn out to be a major steal.

I'll be interested to see how this progresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Is there anyway Mike Leake starts the season in the majors? I just don't see how he fits in.

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood
    Volquez
    Bailey (who is out of options)
    Leake

I just don't see how he starts the year up here.
    He was put in the bullpen to keep his innings down last year, and I would be surprised to see him start the year there. Also, don't rule out the possibility of injury forcing him into a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He was put in the bullpen to keep his innings down last year, and I would be surprised to see him start the year there. Also, don't rule out the possibility of injury forcing him into a spot.
    They put him in the bullpen after he started pitching poorly. The reason they gave for him pitching so poorly was he hit the innings wall. He only made an appearance or two out of the pen and those were bad too.

I'm not saying they won't need Leake at some point during the season, because they will. One of our strengths last year was the depth of our rotation. Somebody will go down and he'll be needed.

I just don't think he's a bullpen pitcher. If they're going to keep both him and Bailey up here and pitch one out of the pen, Bailey makes more sense than Leake. I think sending Leake down and keeping him stretched out makes the most sense, though.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They put him in the bullpen after he started pitching poorly. The reason they gave for him pitching so poorly was he hit the innings wall. He only made an appearance or two out of the pen and those were bad too.

I'm not saying they won't need Leake at some point during the season, because they will. One of our strengths last year was the depth of our rotation. Somebody will go down and he'll be needed.

I just don't think he's a bullpen pitcher. If they're going to keep both him and Bailey up here and pitch one out of the pen, Bailey makes more sense than Leake. I think sending Leake down and keeping him stretched out makes the most sense, though.
    As far as I can tell, Bailey only makes more sense in the sense that he throws harder. It's been said that he's hardly a bullpen option due to how long it takes for him to warm up. He has almost zero bullpen experience, and the Reds don't seem all that interested in trying it out, which is understandable since his upside is widely considered to be higher than Leake's. I'm not saying it's impossible for Bailey to start the year in the bullpen, but I definitely wouldn't say it 'makes more sense'.

I think Mike Leake will be in the Reds' rotation. Just a belief I have. I think his stuff is more suitable to starting than relieving.

I don't know who the odd man out will be, my guess is Homer, but it's only a guess.

But I wouldn't write off Leake for 2011 just yet. He pitched great before hitting the "wall".

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Mike Leake will be in the Reds' rotation. Just a belief I have. I think his stuff is more suitable to starting than relieving.

I don't know who the odd man out will be, my guess is Homer, but it's only a guess.

But I wouldn't write off Leake for 2011 just yet. He pitched great before hitting the "wall".
    no he didn't. He had a good May. maybe even very good. but he was lucky in April and stunk it up in June, July...

No SP should hit a wall the first week of June.

A year in AAA should help him understand pitching at a high level better.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Leake will be either in the rotation, traded, or starting in AAA. My bet is starting in AAA until they need him.

Now, back to the thread topic (how'd it veer off so quickly?), this could be an opportunity for the Reds to buy low on Volquez. With the way this offseason has gone I wouldn't be surprised by another multi-year deal.

So, did Leake "hit the wall" or did batters just figure him out?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    So, did Leake "hit the wall" or did batters just figure him out?
    I think it's both combined with regressing to the mean. He was pretty lucky early in the season.

This is one that scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think it's both combined with regressing to the mean. He was pretty lucky early in the season.
    Agreed. Mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is one that scares me.
    Me too. He reminds me a bit of Oliver Perez. Tantalizing talent including great strikeout potential. However, always plagued by control issues. Had a great year early in his career which was supported by some good batted ball luck and/or good defense.

High strikeout, high walk guys always scare me because they walk such a fine line. Throw in a TJ surgery resulting from a mechanical issue and color me scared. The guy is high risk, high reward. And that's the type of guy I go year to year with.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Volquez is listed at 6'0" tall, but I'd put him at 5'11'', making him about an inch or two taller than Cueto listed at 5'10"

Another smallish RH starter that throws really hard. Let someone else pay him when he gets expensive. I'd do 3 years if I were forced, but year to year is good too.

I'm betting Jocketty offers him a contract similar to Cueto's but one less year, and possibly fewer dollars per. That'd be the best Volquez should hope for before the season starts. I'm betting EV gambles he turns in a monster year and takes a one year deal instead.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?