Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: New RedsZone Moderators

Wanted: New RedsZone Moderators

All,

GIK and I have collectively made the decision that it's time to replace the current moderators with a fresh set of people. This is something that has previously been suggested over the years in much the same way as elected officials, and after some discussion on the matter, we agree with the idea. I want to note that this is not an indictment on any of our current moderators, as we've let them know that we greatly appreciate the time and effort they've put into the site over the course of a couple of years (and in some cases, beyond).

As a result, we are seeking new moderators for 1). The Old Red Guard and all forums, including Non-Baseball forums, with the exception of The Sun Deck and its related game thread sub-forum and 2). The Sun Deck and related game thread sub-forum. You are only eligible to apply for the position related to the baseball forum you can currently post in. If a Sun Deck moderator is voted into the Old Red Guard, the moderator tag will move along with the user from The Sun Deck to the ORG.

We will not set any limit on the number of moderators we will appoint; that is completely dependent on the number of qualified candidates that apply. If you're wondering how much time is required to be spent on the site in order to be a moderator, we've never set any formal limit, but I will say that you must be around regularly enough that you can capably perform the responsibility. All moderators will be given access to 1). an ad-free version of the site and 2). a private forum that can be accessed only by administrators and moderators for moderator discussion, questions, etc.

This announcement will tentatively run until the end of the calendar year and at that point, we will make a decision. Any user in good standing with the site is eligible to apply regardless of the amount of time you've been here. If you wish to apply, please send a private message to BOTH GIK and I. In your message, please briefly state why you feel you are a good candidate, if you have previous experience in moderating forums and any other relevant information. If you have/do moderate another forum, please include the URL and your user name on that forum. If you have any questions, please post them below.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wanted: New RedsZone Moderators

You've got mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Wow, I didn't expect this to happen.

Dan, we should both apply!

Please use this thread for the purpose I stated in the original post (questions) and not for any commentary/reactions. Thank you.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

OK, I'll throw out a question:

Boss, you seem kind of vague about why you guys have chosen to make this move. All you say is that you want to get "a fresh set of people'. Can you clarify for us just a bit as to why you are doing this? What exactly is the objective here? Thanks in advance.

The objective is that GIK and I agree with the notion that's been proposed that moderators should not serve "indefinitely", as has occurred in many cases. We think it would be better served for the site if we rotated the site moderators periodically to give others a shot to perform the task. I'm not going to set a time limit on how long the term could potentially last other than to say we're not going to "train" people and then immediately turn around and replace them with others but on the other hand, four, five or six years is too much time for one person to consecutively serve as a moderator (in our opinion). We mulled over the idea and came to the conclusion that we prefer rotating moderators over time rather than the way it is today.

Again, this is not due to any unhappiness with the performance of current and past moderators - we're very appreciative for the time and hard work they've contributed to the site over the years. Hopefully that answers your question...if not, let me know.

I'd like to see a few members chosen to be Game Thread Moderators.

Someone who actually participates in the game threads and will open the thread before the bottom of the second inning.

Just my opinion, I'll continue to visit RedsZone either way.

/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-01-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'd like to see a few members chosen to be Game Thread Moderators.

Someone who actually participates in the game threads and will open the thread before the bottom of the second inning.

Just my opinion, I'll continue to visit RedsZone either way.

/
    Last season, we did away with the rule that only admins/moderators can open game threads, so I don't think that's an issue any longer.

Unless I totally misunderstood ALL of the mods will be replaced at the same time. Why go to that extreme when keeping a handful around for a couple months might help the transition?

Is it presumed that these moderators are perusing all of the boards regularly? I'm on enough, but am concerned that the time required might be prohibitive.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Unless I totally misunderstood ALL of the mods will be replaced at the same time. Why go to that extreme when keeping a handful around for a couple months might help the transition?
    Some of the current moderators have offered to help transition the new moderators, if necessary, and I don't have a problem with that if we feel it's needed. We'll cross that bridge as we come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is it presumed that these moderators are perusing all of the boards regularly? I'm on enough, but am concerned that the time required might be prohibitive.
    I guess it depends how you define regularly. What we're looking for is for someone to be able to assist in moderating all the forums he or she is assigned. You're certainly not required to check the site five or six times a day but on the other hand, we wouldn't want someone that only checks in about once a week. I'm being particularly broad because I know that some people have historically been more efficient with the time spent moderating than others. That's the main reason we do not want to set an arbitrary time that you must be on the site in order to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I guess it depends how you define regularly. What we're looking for is for someone to be able to assist in moderating all the forums he or she is assigned. You're certainly not required to check the site five or six times a day but on the other hand, we wouldn't want someone that only checks in about once a week. I'm being particularly broad because I know that some people have historically been more efficient with the time spent moderating than others. That's the main reason we do not want to set an arbitrary time that you must be on the site in order to moderate.
    I gather from the highlighted portion that various moderators are assigned some particular forums and that presumably makes the workload more manageable. Am I understanding that correctly?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I gather from the highlighted portion that various moderators are assigned some particular forums and that presumably makes the workload more manageable. Am I understanding that correctly?
    No. This is what I thought originally, but the new mods will moderate all forums except whichever of tORG/tSD they don't have posting access to.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?